Insurances on an apartment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Insurances on an apartment

Postby fyfin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 am

This may be a stupid question but I own an apartment in Turre, one of an edificio of 31 and I have arranged building and contents insurance which is not expensive €164 per annum.
However my wife questioned why we had buildings insurance as surely it would be covered by the community charge and if something happened our apartment it might well affect others.

I still think it is necessary and I suppose if the whole building collapsed for example we would all collect our rebuilding costs on insurance, assuming the rest are insured.

Any wisdom from other members?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Insurances on an apartment

Postby Jool » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 am

I suggest you speak to your community administrators / President to find out what their policy for your building covers as there will be buildings insurance on the building via the community but it may not cover everything that is normally covered by buildings insurance.

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:30 pm

I also pay for building insurance on my apartment as well as contents. I believe it is necessary to cover damage to internal walls, ceilings floors etc.that would not be covered by the community insurance.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Well I discovered that we had no buildings insurance as the previous "presidente" had canx it because there was not enough money in the account due to debtors even though it was only an extra 25 euros each to pay for the insurance. We had no buildings insurance for three years without anyone knowing!! I was absolutely astonished that that could happen but it does :(
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Our little community is very well run and I have every confidence in the administration but I will check. I think it is probably wise to have your own insurance as well so I will keep that going.
Thanks for all replies.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it