Insurance for Holiday rentals

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Insurance for Holiday rentals

Postby probe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Can anyone offer advice on what sort of insurance you need if you want to rent your place out for holiday rentals? Is your standard household insurance satisfactory or do you need to take out a special insurance?

Is there any liability insurance regarding something awful happening with a guest in the pool e.g. major injury or worse?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Probe

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Insurance for Holiday rentals

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Most household policies carry personal Liability indemnity, but you must tell the insurers that you are renting the property out.
Hardworking resident !!

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 am

you will still need to be registered with Tourism...not difficult and costs 60 euros and this is for an asesor to do the paperwork for you.. 37 denuncias were given to rented houses who weren't registered in my area (two weeks ago)...Guardia trawled through sites such as owners direct and holiday lettings to find unregistered places and it looks like this will be the trend from now on

I would suspect that if you needed to make a claim on your insurance the first thing they would ask you for is your Tourism registration number.
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks Metalmonkey,

Presumably Tourism is at the ajuntamiento? Any idea what supporting documents they will require?

Thanks

Probe

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi sorry for the delay in responding. You will need
the online form completed, an asesor should be able to do this for you, you need the form for a rural vivienda.
you proof of IBI paid
recent electric bill
recent water bill
copy of your escritura
copy of your residencia or passport
scaled drawing of the house
photos of rooms
photo showing first aid kit in situ
photo of fire extinguisher in situ

Registration for a B&B is much mre difficult

Good Luck

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am

I think you would need public liability insurance, to tell your own insurance company and also any insurance company covering any communal areas. Make sure you have written proof they received this info by sending a registered letter with recibo de aviso........so you get a receipt from Correos showing when they received your registered letter.

You may also need to check what he rules in your community are, if you are part of one

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 am

Probe, we use a normal house hold insurance but increase the public liabilty to a considerably higher figure to an amount agreed to by the insurers, who have been informed that the properties are being rented to holiday makers.I hope this helps.
Metalmonkey, your list is great and comprehensive but if this list is for the Junta de Andalucia VTAR VIVIENDAS RURALES licence, the house would also have to have a separate water storage holding tank in the grounds for emergency use. The next phase up is a Casa Rurales, followed by Rural hotels. If Probe's rental house is not a rural one , we may be confusing him further, do you think ?
I don't think a Vivienda rurales licence would cover an urban house , would it ? Please correct me if I am wrong. I get very confused about the legality of these matters especially when written in a foregn language.
These rural licences are only for certain allocated areas in Andalucia, Granada is one and a few other areas and I don't know the rules for towns, urbanisations and other situations, I only know the rules with reference to rural turismo. If Probe's is not a rural rental , perhaps somebody else on here who has an urban rental can help him with this ?
I know and agree with you that the authorities are becoming quite strict about such matters as they have always said they would. Pool laws may be next, like France?

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 am

Hi a friend put this information on the Lake Iznajar English Speakers web site ...it may help as I missed a couple of things out

A scale plan of the accommodation showing measurements, room descriptions (in Spanish).
Photos which show all the things that are made mention of specifically ie ALL the fire extinguishers, the first aid box, the kitchen appliances and equipment, the bedroom curtains, bedside tables, outside lights, etc.
Include a set of pictures that you would use on your web site.
A copy of our escritura.
A copy of our reform license.
Our residencia.
A water bill (to show we have water).
IBI and electric invoice.

He said that if the inspector was satisfied that we comply from the pictures, they may not bother to come out to look at the property.
In our case, the Gestor completed the application form on line (which he is licensed to do) - he put together all our paperwork in a nice neat folder, gave us a copy of the completed application form and then he took the whole lot to Granada tourismo later that week.
They stamped the application form 'applied for' and he then sent us a copy of that.

MAKE SURE, WHEN ASKED, YOU DO NOT ADMIT TO CURRENTLY LETTING THE PROPERTY BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE A LICENCE AT THAT POINT!

We received our license within 6 weeks (having not had an inspection) based on the information which we had given - they contacted us May this year and made an appointment to inspect.
Our cost with the Gestor was 60 Euros.

Links to the application forms:

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/turismoc ... _rural.pdf

Link to the latest rules on tourist accommodation

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/turismoc ... 02-20b.pdf

THIS IS THE SPANISH VERSION, HOWEVER, I HAVE DONE A ROUGH TRANSLATION WHICH I CAN SEND YOU IF YOU REQUEST IT.

New addendum dated 2010 - sorry, have not translated this!
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/turismoc ... _0100.html

The following are the requirements for BASIC accommodation - if you meet these, you should have no problem.

SPECIFIC RURAL HOUSES. The houses will be equipped with the following facilities and equipment, by category, to be maintained at all times in good conservation status and functioning:
I basic categories:
A. Unshared accommodation establishments, which will have a person responsible to take care through regular visits and ensure water & fuel replacement, if any, and the good condition of facilities, and whose name, address and telephone number will be made aware of those users.

a) Lounges and dining rooms:

1. Living / dining room to maximum capacity right of establishment, duly equipped for use. Its size is related to the regulatory capacity with a minimum area of 12 m2 that can be distributed between two rooms.
2. If the operating period covers the months from October to April, both inclusive, will be equipped with heating able to achieve and maintain for its use a room temperature of 19 º C.
3. The furniture and decoration must reach an optimal level of adequacy respect to the rural beauty of Andalusia.

b) Kitchen:

1. You'll have enough surface in terms of housing capacity, must be fitted kitchen with several burners, oven or microwave, refrigerator, crockery, cutlery, glassware, cooking utensils and cleaning.
2. Sink and drainer with hot and cold running water.
3. Have direct or forced ventilation for air renewal and removal of fumes.

c) Bedrooms:

1. The minimum size of the rooms is 7 m2 rooms individual, and 10 m2 for double rooms. For each additional bed you must have additional 4 m2. Excluded from the calculation the area devoted to terrace and occupied by the bathroom while you can include that occupied by cupboards wardrobes.
2. The furniture of the rooms must have in any case, bedside tables and beds of at least 90x 180 cm. if individual, or 135x180 cm. if it is double. The mattress is of high rigidity, not allowing the use of mattresses wool or foam pads.
3. A closet for every four beds, with an adequate number of hangers, which can placed in any room.
4. Point of light near the bed.
5. The minimum height of the ceilings will be free of 2.00 m. In rooms with ceilings sloping, at least 70 percent of the surface of the room would have it minimum height.
6. The lighting and ventilation will be direct to the outside patios or adequately ventilated. The ventilation shafts will have a size appropriate to the volume of bedroom, not allowing the use of ventilation systems. The windows must be fitted with shades, blinds or curtains.
7. If the operating period covers the months from October to April, both inclusive, must have heating able to achieve and maintain for its use a room temperature of 19 º C.
8. Access to the accomodation will be provided from common parts. In no case can be accessed through another room.
9. Bed linen available adequate number of occupants at the rate of change of once per week.

d) Restrooms:

1. Will have a full bathroom for every 6 persons or fraction endowed with hot and cold water, and equipped with toilet, bath or shower, and toilet. There must be a bathroom located in the same building as the rooms.
2. It will be equipped with mirror, towel rack, coat rack and shelf for toiletries.
3. The flow of hot water available must ensure the toilet, shower, of all those users over an hour.
4. They will have direct or forced ventilation.
5. Have adequate bathroom linen number of occupants at the rate of two changes per week.

B. SHARED ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS
The following requirements are established information:
1. The furniture of the rooms must have a chair for each two beds, table, and cupboard.
2. The existence of cooking according to point b) above available to customers is optional.
3. The bathroom should be for the exclusive use of / the customers. Must have half a bath and bidet.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Very comprehensive metalmonkey :thumbup:

I'm glad tho' that we decided not to go down the rental route..... :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Many thanks for all of the valuable advice. I have discussed with my insurance company and they are happy to cover me with a relatively small increment in the premium (€35). They didn't want any other documentation.

I think the comment regarding increasing the public liability amount is sensible.

Probe

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Do these rules apply to long term lets thinking of doing long term in the future

steviem
Tourist

'Vivienda Rural' Requirements/registration for Holiday Lets

Postby steviem » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:39 pm

metalmonkey wrote:Links to the application forms:

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/turismoc ... _rural.pdf

Link to the latest rules on tourist accommodation

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/turismoc ... 02-20b.pdf
@metalmonkey. I'm wishing to register my holiday let appartment and happened on this forum that might help with the requirements and complexities of the registration procedure. The accommodation is in Sevilla province set in a rural location. I've come accross the terms 'Vivienda Rural', VTAR VIVIENDAS RURALES etc. and am trying to find out what I would need to do, how, and where to go to obtain a basic licence. I've heard some things recently where it appears the authorities are looking to track people down for non - compliance, with a view to gaining extra revenue in these current tough economic times.
Also, your links for the application forms don't seem to work, could you put me in the right direction? or provide new links. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

@Moderator: I think maybe I placed this in the wrong section, please could you delete it?