Exchange Rates_Again

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Exchange Rates_Again

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:28 pm

I notice today Caxton FX are quoting 1.145 (for as little as eur 150).

With Italy about to explode ( and Spain not far then behind ) is the £ going to recover further ?.
Is this the point when rates start going back up ?.

anyroads

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Exchange Rates_Again

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Well the current FX rate is now 1.174 and it's still going up.

Sid

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Well, that is the bank to bank rate.

I am talking about us mere mortals. As it happens I have just topped up (just eur 250) with Caxton FX at 1.15.

Won't be tempted again until 1.175 !

anyroads

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:03 pm

anyroads wrote:Well, that is the bank to bank rate.

I am talking about us mere mortals. As it happens I have just topped up (just eur 250) with Caxton FX at 1.15.
I can get better than that just paying a Natwest cheque into my Spanish bank - in fact I will be doing that tomorrow.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

I was quoted €1.174 this morning paying in a Nationwide cheque.
Dave

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Ah,

But do these banks charge for negotiating a sterling cheque ?.

My 1.15 is on my Caxton card, awaiting me drawing it out of a hole in the wall at no extra charge !

anyroads

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Mowser wrote:I was quoted €1.174 this morning paying in a Nationwide cheque.
I'm afraid I wouldn't trust Nationwide. I was quoted the interbank rate and was about to make a payment out of my flex to a Spanish account when i decided to check again and was given a different answer entirely. The rate actually varied by 4 cents. The explanation was that the advisor thought I would get the same rate as at a cash point machine in Spain but swift payments are negotiated via another bank.
Now, of course Nationwide apply charges if you use your debit card abroad but we use our Norwich and Peterborough debit card and get the proper rate when we are over in Spain e.g. today we would get €1.17 +
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 pm

xe.com just quoted me 1.1658. No charges to transfer to my Spanish bank.

fyfin, can't really blame Nationwide for giving you a wrong quote. That was down to one advisor, which could happen with any bank.

I do like Nationwide. OK, annoying when they started charging for using cash machines overseas but those charges are amongst the lowest of all the banks and the rate they give, I have found, is always good. Norwich and Peterborough may not make a charge but they do have low usage charges, something easy to incur if not living in UK. I only make a few transactions a year with Nationwide and not had any charges. Of course, not doing transfers direct from Nationwide to Spanish bank helps in that respect.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Couldn't agree more Steve. We have kept the joint Nationwide account and it is the main account that I use and have been big fans of them for many years. My wife opened the N & P just after Nationwide stopped the free atm use in Spain. They could just as easily restricted it to members paying in say £500 pcm and N&P spotted an opening.

Both accounts are used a fair amount so no problem there. I don't know what we will do if we move to Spain permanently as all income will be £ and outgoings in € . We have a Spanish bank account and I have used Currencies Direct for transfers but not great rates for smallish amounts say €1,000

Caxton rates seem reasonable and might explore that option.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 am

fyfin
I'm afraid I wouldn't trust Nationwide
It's the bank Cajamar that gives the rate for any cheque - not Nationwide! If you pay ANY cheque into a Spanish bank, it's the Spanish bank that tells you the exchange rate. Nationwide decide if you use an ATM.
I got €1.165 last week (minus their charges).

I now prefer to use a cheque and let Cajamar give me the rate. This deprives Nationwide from making any money.
Dave

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 am

MY problem with Nationwide was more to do with sending paymnents by swift tgransfer to a Spanish bank. Their online system gives you an indicative rate e.g. today it is showing €1.1642 but it wouldn't even be close to the rate you actually get. Trying to get anyone to tell you the actual rate is impossible.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Fyfin
Agreed. I used to send large amounts with Nationwide this way. It was unsatisfactory as the exchange rate was decided when they received and completed the order. I now write a cheque and hand it into the bank. The bank tells me the rate at the time and if I don't like it, go back next day. The only problem is that it takes a few weeks to clear.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Mowser

What charges are incurred by paying a Nationwide cheque into Cajamar, both by Cajamar and Nationwide?

If it takes a few weeks for the cheque to clear, am I right in assuming that the funds aren't available at Cajamar until the cheque has cleared?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Mowser

What charges are incurred by paying a Nationwide cheque into Cajamar, both by Cajamar and Nationwide?

If it takes a few weeks for the cheque to clear, am I right in assuming that the funds aren't available at Cajamar until the cheque has cleared?
No charge from Nationwide as it's Cajamar who is doing the transfer.
Cajamar charges €10 per cheque but if you ask nicely they "sometimes" waive this charge.
Funds aren't available till cheque clears.
Dave