Wiring a Spanish Plug

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Wiring a Spanish Plug

Postby alicia » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:41 am

Hi

My iron stopped working. Not sure why as only had it about a year. Got it from Al Campo. Anyway, I thought maybe it was the plug. So I bought new plug from local Ferreteria. I have cut off moulded plug and thought it would just be straight forward to put the new plug on. But on unscrewing the newly bought plug, there only seems to be one terminal!!!!! Shouldn´t there be two!!!!! One from blue (neutral) and one for the brown (live)????? Or should both wires be attached to the one terminal (which doesn´t seem right to me). Any advice would be warmly and gratefully received.

Many thanks.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Wiring a Spanish Plug

Postby alicia » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am

Hi

Ignore that earlier post. I have just realised there are two terminals. Does it make any difference which wire is attached to which terminal??? There doesn´t seem to be any indication that it does from the plug??? Also what about the yellow earth, where is that attached to???

Many thanks.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am

It doesn't make any difference to which pin you attach the blue and brown cable, having said that,If you have bought one of the flat type plugs, I don't think it's suitable for an iron because it doesn't have an earth . There are two type of plugs you can buy and you need the fatter type with earth.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Thank you Mark. I eventually saw that there was a terminal for the yellow earth. Managed to wire everything up and plugged the iron in. The red light came on but the iron just not heating up. Am a bit annoyed as as mentioned, only bought the iron about a year ago - and splashed out more than I would do normally as it was a "Siemens" and I assumed that it would make sense to buy a "so called" more reliable and well-known brand. Am going to write a letter of complaint to Siemens. Not that I hold out any great hope but will make me feel better I think.

Thank you once again. Just off to make a coffee and throw said iron in bin.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:48 pm

i think you need a "man about the house"

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 pm

My guessing is that Alicia has a man about the house as she was trying to iron his shirts.... :D

She is probable one of the "new " women.........that do more than cook, clean and sew......... :think:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Spanish white goods don't seem to have a long life,in 5 years we have had 2 microwaves and 3 irons!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Take it back , most guarantee's are for two years.
Todos somos Lorca.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:52 pm

gus-lopez wrote:Take it back , most guarantee's are for two years.
I doubt if they will touch it, Gus, if the plug has been changed.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:30 am

alicia wrote: Am going to write a letter of complaint to Siemens.

You have most certainly invalidated the guarantee by replacing the plug :problem:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 am

Chunky Monky wrote: You have most certainly invalidated the guarantee by replacing the plug :problem:
That's another urban myth!

It would only invalidate the warranty if cutting off the plug caused the fault that stops the device working.

Sid

lizzie.w.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lizzie.w. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:17 am

Hi. realizing the problems here when things go wrong i now keep the box with the receit and the guarantee for at least 18 months seems a bit sad but it makes things much easier to take things .just give it back in the box and say " no bueno" because no "no comprehend espania" it usually works .. Oh by the way if you find the plugs confusing try using a on and of through switch impossible when i go home i bring some back with me . i,m getting sadder and sadder in my old age .

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 am

I think with a moulded plug the warranty may in some cases be under scrutiny under the term of "unauthorised modification"

Something I'd never thought about until this thread.....probably because I've never had to chop a moulded plug off.

Out of interest I've just looked at 3 easy to find manuals/warranty terms on items here at home.

1) A Rowenta steam iron...............A warning says you can in fact cut the plug off if not suitable(whatever that means)..it suggests professional help but describes the procedure for DIY...........it emphasises the new plug fitted must have the same colour fuse cover as the original to denote amps :? .so a normal "internal fuse" plug would be out of the question in their T&Cs

2) Integrated Fridge Freezer....T&Cs seem to give Carte Blanche to do what you like with the moulded plug when fitting................as long as you don't cut it off whilst it's plugged in :mrgreen:

3) Amplifier........w'tee void if plug tampered with..............I guess that's because it stores a charge for a long time after it's switched off and shorting the mains cable could cause grief,that's my thoughts not theirs by the way.

I guess none of the above affect your statutory rights but my thoughts are now "if it's just an iron then no probs......if it were a 10k hifi take it back"
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.