I.D. using bank cards

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bunty
Resident

I.D. using bank cards

Postby bunty » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 pm

For the last three times I have used my debit card I have not been asked to show any Identification..
Wonder if they are changing the rules in Spain!!!!!! I have shopped in three different shops including El Corte Inglés ( paying for a new tv)
Yesterday a chap payed before me in Mercadona and he was going to show his I.D. and was told this wasn't needed as he had typed his pin number...
Would be just great if not needed. Usually they have accepted as proof my credit card size photocopy of my passport but always carry drivers license just in case.
My passport is far too precious to carry out with me!!!!!!!
Anyway, just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this..

Footprint
Resident

Re: I.D. using bank cards

Postby Footprint » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Are you referring to a UK bank card? I used mine last month in a supermarket and was not asked for any ID - which is just as well as I'm sure I'd left my passport back at the house!
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Mercadona now uses Chip and Pin, this does not require ID proof, (that is what the Pin does). The way forward :thumbup:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Mercadonna,Nerja sometimes ask for ID. Mercadonna Torrox Costa don't.
Spain all over some know the rules some don't

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Same here , still want drivers licence, although most don't bother looking at it. Wife gave Aldis an out of date one today & no one noticed.
Todos somos Lorca.

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Am I wrong, but I thought since the end of the photo ID card, we were supposed to carry our passports at all times

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 pm

baroness wrote:Am I wrong, but I thought since the end of the photo ID card, we were supposed to carry our passports at all times
Yes, that is correct, but this is Spain, who knows what the rules are. :shh:
I still use my out of date residencia card, always accepted.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 pm

gerryh wrote: I still use my out of date residencia card, always accepted.
Cheers
Gerry
Ditto and likewise...even in the post office...no probs!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 pm

If you are going to want to carry driving licence or passport around with you, I would go and get a copy of them notarized, it only costs centimos, and they are as valid as the originals, and no more worrying about losing them :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:48 am

baroness wrote:Am I wrong, but I thought since the end of the photo ID card, we were supposed to carry our passports at all times
The decree actually states 'identification can be passport, original country ID card or spanish driving licence '. The spanish DL has all the info of the old tarjeta de residencia except the fingerprint.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 am

gus-lopez wrote:
The decree actually states 'identification can be passport, original country ID card or spanish driving licence '. The spanish DL has all the info of the old tarjeta de residencia except the fingerprint.

Which decree are you referring to?

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 am

When I go through the self service section in Eroski,They don't ask for ID any more, although if I do it in the normal ones they do. My visa card isn't chip and pin

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:42 pm

We were still being asked for identification in December. Didn't buy in any super's though. I used an out of date residencia for years. I don't understand the reason for asking for identity off everyone, rarely come across it in the rest of the world. Perhaps it's the Franco legacy :?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm

El Cid wrote:
gus-lopez wrote:

Which decree are you referring to?

Sid
To be honest , I've no idea. I was reading it a short while back & that is what it stated . I'll have to see whether I book marked it.
Todos somos Lorca.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Personally, I would prefer that they always ask for some ID. If some hooligan had stolen a purse with a card in, and like many many people (not me or mine!) the PIN was in there somewhere, it would be a last ditch check that the card was of the presenter.
I just wish that the person doing the check would actually look at the card and the person - really look!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Personally, I would prefer that they always ask for some ID.
You've gotta be joking, right? :thumbdown: ......imagine the women who spend half an looking for their purse, then 20 minutes deciding on a credit card that actually works, then 5 minutes looking for the loyalty card etc. etc........bad idea, people being unprepared to pay at the tills is more annoying for me than untaxed transits in Comares :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm

I share your angst DA - not sure if it exceeds that of an illegal Transit, but it sure runs it close!
Why is it that it always seems to come as a total shock that one must pay at a checkout - only if you are a woman, of course! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Why is it that it always seems to come as a total shock that one must pay at a checkout - only if you are a woman, of course! :roll:
I'll treat this comment with the contempt it deserves! :roll: :wtf:

I used mine in a Mercadona in Alora and it was chip and pin.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Peter, one good thing about living over there full time for you..............you don't get lazy bug6ers going into to shops with a fisfull of old lottery tickets for the checkout girl to go through to see if they've won a fiver :evil: ........now that gives me serious angst, and I mean proper weapons grade angst.....18 minutes it took to pay for the OHs paper this morning!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Now that all my cards are chip and pin I am very rarely asked for ID and anytime that happens they always accept an out of date residentia card.
peteroldracer wrote:Personally, I would prefer that they always ask for some ID. If some hooligan had stolen a purse with a card in, and like many many people (not me or mine!) the PIN was in there somewhere, it would be a last ditch check that the card was of the presenter.
I just wish that the person doing the check would actually look at the card and the person - really look!
There is no excuse to have your pin number written down as it is a simple matter to change the pin on your card(s) to a number you can remember :think:
In the old days when they asked for ID, all they checked was that the name on the card was the same as the name on the ID - not signature, appearance etc. :crazy:
D.A.
......imagine the women who spend half an looking for their purse, then 20 minutes deciding on a credit card that actually works, then 5 minutes looking for the loyalty card etc. etc........bad idea, people being unprepared to pay at the tills is more annoying for me than untaxed transits in Comares
It's the men I feel sorry for, especially the older ones who haven't got used to Euros yet, raking around their little purse asking the checkout operator if that is dos o cinco centimos?
Ann