Cassette deck repair

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Cassette deck repair

Postby gavilan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Does anyone know anywhere in Velez-Malaga or Malaga city where I can get a cassette deck (Technics RS X101) repaired? Thanks

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cassette deck repair

Postby anyroads » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I was telling my son about those....

He thought I was pulling his leg !

anyroads

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 am

I have a record player too. That works perfectly. I have vinyl to prove it!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 am

There is a little shop in Malaga near the CAC museum that can repair everything. If you stand with the CAC to your left and cross the bridge over the dry river bed it on your right as you look at the buildings opposite. He repaired a remote control for me that was a sealed unit.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Brilliant costakid ... many thanks

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:24 pm

My 8-track is on the blink - as is my Betamax. :lol:
Dave

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Mowser wrote:My 8-track is on the blink - as is my Betamax. :lol:
Does your 405 line B&W TV still work? :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Does your mobile phone resemble a brick with an aerial sticking out? 8)
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Footprint wrote:
Does your mobile phone resemble a brick with an aerial sticking out? 8)
Don't forget the battery pack which was carried in a shoulder bag that was needed for the early mobile phones.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 am

You may also like to know that I use to have an old wind-up HMV gramophone, in a wooden casing, but it got too difficult and time-consuming to find new needles. So I gave it to a charity shop, along with some original records (not vinyl, what were they made of?, hard and brittle and easily cracked!)

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:18 am

shellac

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:34 am

bob wrote:shellac
I thought shellac was a varnish - I know it is used in the 'ageing' of restored rocking horses. Well you learn something every day :)
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:11 am

The earliest disc records (1889–1894) were made of various materials including hard rubber. Around 1895, a shellac-based compound was introduced and became standard. Exact formulas for this compound varied by manufacturer and over the course of time, but it was typically composed of about one-third shellac and about two-thirds "mineral filler", which meant finely pulverized rock, usually slate and limestone, with an admixture of cotton fibers to add tensile strength, carbon black for color (without this, it tended to be a "dirty" gray or brown color that most record companies considered unattractive), and a very small amount of a lubricant to facilitate mold release during manufacture. Some makers, notably Columbia Records, used a laminated construction with a core disc of coarser material or fiber. The production of shellac records continued until the end of the 78 rpm format (i.e., the late 1950s in most developed countries but well into the 1960s in some other places), but increasingly less abrasive formulations were used during its declining years and very late examples in truly like-new condition can be nearly as noiseless as vinyl.
Flexible or so-called "unbreakable" records made of unusual materials were introduced by a number of manufacturers at various times during the 78 rpm era. In the UK, Nicole records, made of celluloid or a similar substance coated onto a cardboard core disc, were produced for a few years beginning in 1904, but they suffered from an exceptionally high level of surface noise. In the US, Columbia Records introduced flexible, fiber-cored "Marconi Velvet Tone Record" pressings in 1907, but the advantages and longevity of their relatively noiseless surfaces depended on the scrupulous use of special gold-plated Marconi Needles and the product was not a success. Thin, flexible plastic records such as the German Phonycord and the British Filmophone and Goodson records appeared around 1930 but also did not last long. The contemporary French Pathé Cellodiscs, made of a very thin black plastic which uncannily resembles the vinyl "sound sheet" magazine inserts of the 1965-1985 era, were similarly short-lived. In the US, Hit of the Week Records, made of a transparent plastic called Durium coated on a heavy brown paper base, were introduced in early 1930. A new issue came out every week and they were available at newsstands like a weekly magazine. Although inexpensive and moderately popular at first, they soon fell victim to the Great Depression and production ceased in the US in 1932. Related Durium records continued to be made somewhat later in the UK and elsewhere, and as remarkably late as 1950 in Italy, where the name "Durium" survived far into the LP era as a trademark on ordinary vinyl records. Despite all these attempts at innovation, shellac compounds continued to be used for the overwhelming majority of commercial 78 rpm records during the life of the format.
In 1931, RCA Victor introduced their vinyl-based "Victrolac" compound as a material for some unusual-format and special-purpose records. By the end of the 1930s vinyl's advantages of light weight, relative unbreakability and low surface noise had made it the material of choice for prerecorded radio programming and a number of other uses. When it came to ordinary 78 rpm records, however, the much higher cost of the raw material, as well as its vulnerability to the heavy pickups and crudely mass-produced steel needles still commonly used in home record players, made its general substitution for shellac impractical at that time. During the Second World War, the US Armed Forces produced thousands of 12-inch 78 rpm V-Discs for use by the troops overseas, as well as 16-inch 33 1/3 rpm War Department radio transcriptions, all of which were made of vinyl.[14] After the war, the wider use of vinyl became more practical as new record players with lightweight ceramic pickups and precision styli made of sapphire or a very hard and durable osmium alloy started to proliferate. Victor issued some classical music on transparent red vinyl "De Luxe" 78s at a de luxe price, and Decca introduced vinyl "Deccalite" 78s, but other labels confined their use of vinyl to the special thin vinyl DJ pressings of 78s commonly mailed to radio stations during the late 1940s and early 1950s.[15]

More than anyone wanted to know. Probably why they were called, "shellacs".

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 pm

and the history of those old wind-up gramophones is ... ?

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Tal ... ne_Company

and there are, of course, others...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 pm

bob wrote:
More than anyone wanted to know. Probably why they were called, "shellacs".
Perhaps a link to the site that provided that information would be more appropriate.

Quoting large amounts from other sites may have copyright implications so a link to the site is preferable to a large amount of quoted text.

Sid

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm

i know what copyright implications are, sid
do you?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Seems a bit "patronising" Bob............any reason for it??

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

"Seems a bit "patronising" Bob............any reason for it??"

You mean, for the record ?

anyroads