weed in stream

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

weed in stream

Postby gavilan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I was down in the stream this morning trying to clear the weed ... and came to wonder what causes such stuff to grow ... there is still a lot of water there, so the current is strong ... but bright green weed is growing voraciously with some darker, sludgy green- brown stuff also. ... Anyone know why it grows sometimes and not others? Is it useful/helpful to some creatures?

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: weed in stream

Postby Roz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 pm

At first I thought your heading was a statement! :lol:

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I was told years ago that green weed growing in running water is a sign that the water is clean.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

...or high in nutrients, especially nitrogen, from farm run-offs.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I would like to believe morlandg and think that 'my' stream comes from some beautifully crystal clear mountain spring ... but I suspect country boy is closer to the truth! However there are frogs, minnows, water skaters ... and a few weeks ago I disturbed a terrapin. I havent seen the water snake so far this year but it might be still too cold for s/he. So polluted with nitrogen or not, some creatures still seem to like it.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 pm

It sounds like blanket weed (filamentous algae) the bane of UK Koi keepers. I used to rake two large plastic sacks a week from my pond and I've worked on ponds that had even more. To grow it needs oxygen nitrate or nutrients of some sort and sunlight and I would think that a wild flowing stream in the campo has plenty of all three.
I've used it to line hanging baskets and tried to compost it, after a year I turned the compost heap over and the algae was unaffected in fact once wet it looked just like it did when I raked it out of the pond. I tried to sell it to our local Chinese restaurant but Mr Pang said I was taking the p--s. If you have minnows in the stream the water quality is probably reasonable and the algae gives them a hiding place when the Herons come calling.

Mhic.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppylou » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Water snake seen for the first time ever today in the acequia. Do they have a venomous bite?

Mike.M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike.M » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am

Hi,

Most if not all snakes will take to the water, so best to positively identify. There are a number of poisonous snakes in Spain, which are:

- Seoane’s viper (Vipera seoanei – víbora de Seoane), and I think mostly found in northern Spain

- Asp viper (Vipera aspis – víbora áspid)

- Snub-nosed or Lataste’s viper (Viborade lataste – vibora hocicuda)

- False smooth snake (Macroprotodon cucullatus – culebra de cogulla), and I think only present in the Balearic Islands

- Montpellier Snake (Malpolon monspessulanus – culebra *beep* or de Montpellier), fangs at the back of the mouth so although you get struck, often the fangs don’t engage.

- Viperine Snake (Natrix maura) - culebra viperina, although not venomous, you can feel a nasty sensation in the bitten place and have a severe infection but this is not provoked by the poison but by the dirt in their mouth and teeth.

Regards,

Mike

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm

It had not occurred to me that the 'water' snake I saw last summer might be venomous ...and I always assume they will only attack if cornered and prefer to go for cover if disturbed ... the one I saw was sunbathing in shallow water and swam fast to the bank and disappeared into the grasses there when I arrived on the scene. Venomous or not I like the fact that creatures enjoy that stream.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Venomous or not I like the fact that creatures enjoy that stream

To be on the safe side where Marigolds before stroking the snake.