New health rules

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: New health rules

Postby bobdun » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks Steve :thumbup:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 pm

In the 'Murcia today' article it states that extranjeros are not going to be allowed to add parents or children over the age of 26 to their healthcare cover. Now I take it by 'extranjeros' they are talking about non-eu as if not that would be a clear breach of eu law stating that you cannot differentiate between nationals & permanent foreign residents.
Todos somos Lorca.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Sorry this is so late, computer was broken and I could not log on to post via laptop for some reason but wanted to say thank you for all the replies - i now have my residence certificate but it has incorrect date and incorrect address on it but I have a copy of my form showing the correct info and Vida Laboral etc so feel sure I will be covered....cannot be bothered to go through the process of making a reclamation when they clearly do not know what they are doing and told me they are still waiting for complete directive from Madrid......asked British Consulate for advice and they said "no idea", its all a mess basically! So none of my documents coincide date wise, on second spanish driving licence but not even lived here a year yet it seems!!!! MAD......

I walked away with my paper certificate, others have been told it has to be sent to Madrid even when they are pensioner renewals .....again no consistency......

Netty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Netty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 pm

For those poor unfortunate people like myself paying into the private system I wish the authorities would recognise an opportunity rather than a problem.We are not entitled to state healthcare as we are below UK retirement age, when the UK has to contribute to the cost of our treatment.We pay into a private system, however the nearest GP is 45 mins drive away and a hospital, even for emergencies is 1.5 to 2 hours away - therefore it is inadequate.
Why can´t we simply pay into the state system without the requirement to work - the funds could go to investment in the local hospitals and health centres and to increase the number of local doctors etc.If there is a need for more medical facilities why is it not seen as an investment opportunity rather than a problem? If the facilities are there and only need to be extended surely this can be a way of improving care for all, rather than seen as a threat to the system? Surely they need more payers, not more exclusion? If there is a perceived problem with health tourism, the cost could be related to period of residence- ie you pay more the first year and it decreases over time .
For me the private system isn´t working and the public system is underfunded.Simples!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 am

The following was obtained from another list and gives the current thinking on the New Health Care Rules:-
Ministry backtracks on healthcare entitlement restrictions
Legal residents who don't contribute to Social Security will not be left out of system
Law will get tougher on residents from European Union who neither work nor study

Charity is the only medicine, PP tells foreign residents

EMILIO DE BENITO Madrid 14 JUN 2012 - 14:36 CET

From restricted access to an open hand. The legislation being drawn up by the Health Ministry to accommodate the budget cuts in healthcare has changed tack dramatically. The draft, which EL PAÍS has had access to, states that legal residents (either Spanish or foreign) who do not contribute to Social Security will not be left out of the system as planned. Instead, all they need to do is prove that they make less than 100,000 euros a year.

That is a radical change from an April decree that stipulated that non-contributors had to prove a complete lack of income in order to be eligible for a public health card.

But that decision left out social groups like rentiers or members of religious congregations, who do not pay Social Security, but have an income. The new legislation is an attempt to patch up these holes. From now on, anyone over 26 who has never paid Social Security will still be allowed to use the public health network, as long as they make under 100,000 euros a year.

But at the same time, the law gets tougher on residents from the European Union who neither work nor study - such as retired people who live off a pension or personal savings, for instance.

From now on, their residency will be subject to their "not becoming an excessive burden on Spain's social assistance."

The purpose of the legislative change is unclear, but several experts consulted by EL PAÍS said that the point is to prevent people from coming to Spain without a job but with resources (for instance, after selling his or her house back home), and later abusing the system when their money runs out. In other words, only EU residents who can pay for their own upkeep may remain here.

The draft legislation says that "resorting to social assistance in Spain by a citizen of the Union or a member of his family will not automatically result in expulsion."

Meanwhile, illegal immigrants will no longer have unrestricted access to the system, but instead will only be allowed emergency care.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 am

Netty wrote:
Why can´t we simply pay into the state system without the requirement to work -
I suppose that could be possible but you need to remember that for every UK pensioner the UK does indeed pay into the system - to the tune of €3500 per year per person.

I'm not sure too many individuals would be prepared to match that!

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm confused. Does this proposed change mean I won't have to wait until OH or I reach 65 to get state health care?

We retired early and moved to Spain. Do not, and have not, worked here and no intention of doing so. Had the free health care for 2 years and are now on private health insurance. We are registered on the pardron and have the green A4 sheet of paper with our NIE. No expiry date on it, will it need renewing? I receive a company pension, paid into into UK bank where we also have savings. Pension is more than enough to live on.

Could this mean we won't have to wait another 8 years to benefit from health care? Or is it just wishful thinking on our part. I assumed it was wishful thinking but the English councillor at the local Ayuntamiento has forwarded another article from typicallyspanish which is similar to the one linked to above, and just as confusing.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Friend of ours had broken arm but had left ehic card at home in uk, he is here for months holiday.
Told hospital and health centre and he received excellent care but told to get card sent from uk and let them see it.
Went to health centre with card and was told he had to take it to local social security office, going to hospital on thursday will let you know what happens then.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Our grandson had to visit the local medical centre but our daughter had not got the card with her. Bill arrived from the Junta for €53 when they next visited. Took card into health centre who took down the details and we have heard nothing since. Fingers crossed.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:10 am

Does anyone know about students over 18(adults) -are they covered or whats the position with them?