Natural Gas

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Parilla
Resident

Natural Gas

Postby Parilla » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am

We have a community meeting next week when a representative of the company ELECNOR will be giving a presentation on the advantages of having a natural gas supply installed to replace our existing supply. On the info provided so far we seem to have been told the main benefit is a saving of 20-25 % on fuel bills, though there is a charge for the conversion.

I'm always happy to look at any cost saving opportunity, but I do have nightmare memories of the conversion back in the uk many years ago,when William Press dug up the country, and made life hell - we eventually had to buy a new central heating boiler, and the gas fires never really worked properly again.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of a conversion here in Spain ?

Thanks,
Parilla

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Natural Gas

Postby markwilding » Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm

My community have just installed natural gas,so recently in fact, I haven't received my first bill yet.
It was around 1,000 Euros per house but there was a subsidy from the Basque government,which reduced the amount by about 70 per cent.
The agent should know if any are available through your regional government. All the community had to agree to allow the change to take place.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 pm

markwilding wrote:My community have just installed natural gas,so recently in fact, I haven't received my first bill yet.
It was around 1,000 Euros per house but there was a subsidy from the Basque government,which reduced the amount by about 70 per cent.
The agent should know if any are available through your regional government. All the community had to agree to allow the change to take place.
Parilla - If you are referring to the conversion of UK town gas supplies to natural gas, it was indeed a bit of a disaster. I was not very old at the time and remember poorly trained gas fitters fitting badly designed conversions to cookers, gas fires, etc.
Your conversion will be from Butane bottles to methane? It will involve a change in the regulated pressure supplied to appliances and possibly a change to the burner jets.
I would always bear in mind that a representative wanting you to change over is only likely to be feathering his own nest.

I am pleased to hear that the Basque government has €700 to throw at each and every house to convert to natural gas. No wonder the country is sinking in debt.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 pm

White Horse wrote:
I am pleased to hear that the Basque government has €700 to throw at each and every house to convert to natural gas. No wonder the country is sinking in debt.
I'm glad you're glad and if the rest of the country had invested in new industries as they have here,then maybe it wouldn't have so many problems. unemployment is closer to the UKs levels,although higher than normal.
The reason's for Spain's problems are not the same as the other countries who have had a bailout. Their borrowings were managable before the crisis. Growth covered any repayments and in fact they were in a better position, and within the Euro's rules, than Germany.
Spain's problems stem from over investment in the building industry so as the crisis started to bite and less loans were offered it start to falter along with all the other industries reliant on it.
growth started to slow and so at that point, not before they had to start to borrow significantly more. However, at the same time the borrowing rates soared causing even more problems, meaning even more borrowing to cover another problem Spain has,which is a over large civil service

I have always felt even before the problem that Spain was over reliant on building and still do.I know I am one of the only ones on here that believes that Rajoy's current policies are not correct.I'm not saying they won't work in the long run but it's the destruction because of a lack of investment in the future of the country that I worry about.Not easy investment as before in tourism, construction and public services, but sustainable industries.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 pm

I don't disagree with your post Mark. I wish I had a magic solution for Spain's debt. How can Rajoy pull the country out of debt, when his party want to do one thing and the Europe "soviet" want him to do another? If only Spain could manufacture and export goods, employing people.
My point made (sarcastically) was that the Basque government are still spending money they do not have with a budget deficit of €1,672,000,000.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm

The region isn't in recession though.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed May 02, 2012 7:07 am

markwilding wrote:The region isn't in recession though.
No ,in fact it's doing what it's always done & supporting the rest of Spain !
Less than 5% of the spanish population , yet contributing 7% of spanish gdp.
Todos somos Lorca.