Selling a car? What do I do

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Selling a car? What do I do

Postby angelmouse » Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 am

I'm selling my Spanish plated car and have printed off all the forms from the traffico website. My question is when the buyer and I sign the paperwork do we need to go together to the traffic department in Malaga or is this something that the buyer does. Also who pays the 4% tax? My buyer is asking if we should split it? Do you need to make an appointment to see the traffic department or do I just turn up? If I used a gestor would that mean we wouldn't need to go to the traffic department. Any advice very welcome as I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do and am worried that someone may run up fines on the car and I'll still be liable.

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Selling a car? What do I do

Postby aquaman » Sun May 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Unless your Spanish is quite good I would not go direct to Traffico yourself, it is a very time consuming exercise. The best thing to do is to go to a local Gestor, they will check all the paperwork of seller and buyer, the buyer will probably pay a deposit, can't remember. They will check with traffico if there are any fines on the car. A few days later you will return with the purchaser and the deal is done. Cost about 60 - 70 euros. usually ther buyer pays this. Also the buyer pays the tax charged, they have a book at the Gestors which contains all car models and taxes. Selling shouldn't cost you anything, the buyer pays. Remember you must have your latest local car tax paid up to date.

angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Selling a car? What do I do

Postby angelmouse » Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Many thanks for that info....if I can avoid going to the traffico then I'll pay happily for a gestor.