Is there any benefits I can claim

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
tsharon
Tourist

Is there any benefits I can claim

Postby tsharon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Hello

I have been living in Spain for two years and signed on at the job centre since December 2010 but am unable to find work.

I am not eligible for unemployment benefit as i have not contributed into the spanish system and in order to claim non contributory benefit I need to be over 45, I am 41. I am now trying the social securiy department to see if I can claim anything there. I have a husband and one son aged 12 years. We have almost no money left and desparately need some work or benefits. I live just south of Antequera so most of the jobs on the Costa around Marbella are too far away.

Does anyone know if there are benefits available to people in my situation. Soon i will not be able to pay my electricity or water bills and have already stopped using my car. We live in the campo and it is a 7km walk to the nearest village. Our local town hall have given us one food parcel but do not know when the next one will arrive 2,3 or 4 months. There was not enough food to last two months in the parcel.
I have spoken to the British Embassy in Malaga and they couldnot help other than suggest I asked the social security department.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Is there any benefits I can claim

Postby ladymuck » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi cant your hubby work in the uk so u get some money behind you.
only other way is all of u return back to the uk, dont think you have any choice

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

You will need to go to your local INSS office and they will be able to advise you. You may be eligible for 'ayuda' because you have a dependant child but it is not a large amount of money. You should make an appointment with your local social worker who can help you with applications for Red Cross packages, help finding work etc... Have you been badgering the Job Centre? If not, you will need to as jobs tend to go to the most persistent and those with children usually get ayuntamiento work as a priority. Ask about school cleaning, street cleaning etc...

Good luck

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Alas,

ladymuck has hit it on the head.

In the UK at least there are various safety nets. You need to ask yourself ( even if the next food parcel arrives soon ) is this the life you want for your daughter in one, two years time ?

The employment situation is not going to get any better in Spain over the next few years.

If nothing else, I am sure there are agencies who could help you to relocate back to the UK.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 am

Spanish people here around complain about payments made to foreign immigrants, claiming money from the government, so maybe some type of help does exist.
There are groups that help and advise immigrants.Maybe that is where you should be looking.

Please tell us how you get on for reference.

Good Luck

tsharon
Tourist

Postby tsharon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 am

Thank you for your replies, I regularly attend the job centre to look for work. I have been to the benefits office only to be told there are no unemployment benefits i can claim. I spoke to the social worker in the town hall who told me that that is no help available to me and my family except an occassional food package. I had previously been told by a town hall worker that there was a little money available to help people in my situation but the social worker was adamant that there wasn't. I do not believe her but need something concrete before i go back and question her.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 am

These are your healthcare rights in spain.( in english )

http://ec.europa.eu/employment_social/e ... ain_en.pdf

Down near the bottom you need.

If you are being fobbed off/being given the runaround, first make a complaint with the 'hojas de reclamación' then contact these for assistance.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/help/index_en.htm
Or here;

https://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/
or here;
Last edited by gus-lopez on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Todos somos Lorca.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 am

or here;
http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/fron ... ity_en.htm

& if you need to dig up some laws go here;
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/RECH_menu.do?ihmlang=en
Todos somos Lorca.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:44 pm

"a little money available to help people in my situation but the social worker was adamant that there wasn't. I do not believe her but need something concrete before i go back and question her"

And how long is the little money going to last ?........alas, the problem will not go away. Without work it is very difficult.

If the Greeks mess it up this weekend, the spotlight will be on Spain. One of the areas that will get even tighter is "benefits". More people out of work chasing a smaller pool of money. They tend to look after their own, Europe or no Europe....

Perhaps it is time to come home !

anyroads

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:17 pm

The spanish will look after their own people first who are also having it hard, i dont blame them just a shame the uk dosent do the same.
I wish u luck .

tsharon
Tourist

Postby tsharon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am

Hi

An update as requested. The HMRC in England have suggested that i apply for a U1 certificate of my NI contributions in the Uk as there is a chance i may be able to claim unemployment benefit in spain based on those contributions. Has anybody got experience of this?

I am still not sure that there aren't any benefits available as we are treatly equally as Spanish citizens but am yet to find out conclusive evidence.

jeanie27
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jeanie27 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 pm

It's not the total answer but it may help a little. Do you not know any other Brits with holiday homes in your area who you can offer a service to? I don't know what we'd do without the couple who look after our house, they have been a real godsend. The money wouldn't be fantastic but it may keep the wolf from the door and if you could perhaps offer other odd-jobs you may be able to stay afloat. Lots of Brits survive this way.

I really hope it works out for you. I hope you find some way of contiuing to live your dream.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

we are treatly equally as Spanish citizen
Since when????!!!! :roll:

There are two similarities between UK and Spain...we're second class citizens in both countries nowadays!!!! :lolno:
Seriously though, a return to the UK would sound like the ideal long-term solution for you.....at least here as someone said, there is a safety net should you need it. And a jolly sight more work! I'm lovin' it!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

mickeyj

Postby mickeyj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Hola,

Just be aware, because it happened to us, you will need to prove the last 2 years N.I contributions if/when you decide to return/apply, to claim Jobseekers etc in the UK.

The last thing we wanted to do was to have to claim, it puts us in a precarious situation, fine if you can find work though!

mickeyj :roll: