Spanish Boat licence - For Spanish only ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Spanish Boat licence - For Spanish only ?

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
If I were doing the boat thing again I'd just like a little 5 metre speedy or rib to go a mile out, have a bbq and come back...........would I need qualies for that by the way?
Yes, you need a licence for anything plus insurance, etc. You even need a licence to rent a jet-ski.
Todos somos Lorca.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 pm

What about doing it in Gibraltar?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Racial discrimination? spanish and english are nationalities not races. you can say you are being discriminated because of your nationality being one that does not have spanish as its main language. but that has nothing to do with your race.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Crazy red .. Gibraltar (And Sotogrande, and Malaga)- yes you can ... but its the ICC Day skippers ticket ...It would not entitle me to skipper a Spanish registered boat. It used to be straight forward to homologate the ICC Day skippers ticket into the Patron de Embaraciones de Recrreo but now this is not the case, I am informed. The minimum standard that Spain will alow to be homologated is the ICC RYC Yacht Masters ticket. A bit like taking an HGV class I licence to get a car licence

Elusive ... thanks for pointing out the diference. Would that rule out a Nationality Discrimination claim then should I wish to really peruse the matter out of pure cursedness', or would I be wasting my time.
Time I have. Money I dont ! But this is starting to frustrate me ! It doesnt seem fair !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm

elusive wrote:Racial discrimination? spanish and english are nationalities not races. you can say you are being discriminated because of your nationality being one that does not have spanish as its main language. but that has nothing to do with your race.

OK, so I am now going to take the Spanish TV companies to court for racial discrimination by not transmitting all their channels in English.

Wish me luck :lol:

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Martin Page wrote: its the ICC Day skippers ticket ...It would not entitle me to skipper a Spanish registered boat. It used to be straight forward to homologate the ICC Day skippers ticket into the Patron de Embaraciones de Recrreo but now this is not the case, I am informed. The minimum standard that Spain will alow to be homologated is the ICC RYC Yacht Masters ticket.

Lets get the terminology correct here. There is no such thing as an ICC Day Skippers ticket.

The ICC is the "International Certificate Of Competence" awarded by the RYA to people who qualify with specific RYA qualifications or by being "tested" by their local yacht club.

A RYA Day Skipper certificate would enable you to get an ICC but the ICC is meaningless unless you are sailing a foreign flagged boat in Spain as a non resident. I used to have an ICC when I was sailing outside UK as the RYA Yachtmaster was not accepted in isolation. If you have a Spanish flagged boat it is irrelevant. If you sailed a Spanish flagged boat in UK waters then a Spanish ICC would be accepted. Shades of the EHIC here!

An ICC certificate would not be accepted as such as a qualification for a national certificate (such as the one you want) - it is the underlying qualification that counts. It's similar to the International Driving Permit - it means nothing on its own - it just confirms your entitlement to drive on a foreign licence which you hold.

So it looks like you either need a UK Yachtmaster ticket or you have to take the Spanish test.

I think you will find the Spanish test much easier even allowing for the language difficulties. As Annfoto pointed out it takes ages to get the practical qualifications as they are based on miles logged as skipper.

Sid

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

Here's a page that you might find interesting

http://costadelsol.angloinfo.com/inform ... ailing.asp

Bart123

Postby Bart123 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello, this is an old topic , but I have the same problem , now having Spanisch classes to get my Spanisch licence , how did you do Martin ? Thanks