UK Winter Fuel Payment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Winter Fuel Payment

Postby Lyric » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Well the form I'm looking at goes to 2007.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 pm

The one on the page you linked to gives this one http://goo.gl/KfPL2

What's the URL of the form you are looking at?

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:15 pm

The one I gave is for prior to 2000 and yours is for after that. All very confusing.

Either way, based on that you can't make any sort of claim later than the end of March after the year for which you are claiming due to time limits introduced after 2000.

Sid

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 am

I contacted the International Pensions Centre Winter Fuel Allowance department by phone this morning and spoke to a really helpful lady called Joan. She said that they do not have the forms available yet but they are expected soon, but they are available online. I asked her to send me a form once they have them, but I will probably print the online one and complete that. I told her I had seen forms online to claim for previous years and asked if it was possible to make a claim from outside UK and she said "no" as the change has only just come in and it is not retrospective - shame!!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for that LL My OP was only as I was playing hunt the form as Mrs L is now eligable and I found the backdating form which I wasn't aware of, and on that basis thought others might not be aware either. Not relevant to us then !

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

Just downloaded the form
http://tinyurl.com/9o5wkr4
Dave

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks Dave saves "hunt the form"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 am

Have I got this right?
It looks to me to be exactly as it was - you had to be resident in the UK during the qualifying week?

We seem to be amongst a very small number of people who have not lied about when we left the UK, so have never received it - OH was 60 in the January of 2005, which is when we left the UK to come and live permanently in Spain, and I was living here before my 60th birthday.

I don't mind swapping the benefits of lower taxes and duties on many things here for the loss of the WFP, but do object to liars being able to claim it by either 'adopting' a UK address or claiming they were here when they were there, if you see what I mean!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 am

Peter, calm down

I can understand why you feel aggrieved because someone from the British government should have you phoned personally to explain the changes, bloody buffoons all of them :roll: .

Even I know that there has been a change in the law that says everybody who has ever paid into the UK system is entitled to the winter fuel allowance if they are of pensionable age, so I'll have to wait another 11-12 years.

The UK government isn't happy with the ruling and it may be means tested but that's something for the future.

you'll need to download the form to apply

Good Luck

Here's Beachcomber's original link

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/27688/
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I rang the Newcastle Pensions Overseas office(0044 191 2187777, 8am to 8pm) about this and was told that the online form was not the correct one ,the forms were being printed in September, and they would send one to me as soon as they were available.Not arrived! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 pm

quebin wrote:.Not arrived! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
My flabber has never been so gasted! :roll:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm

object to liars being able to claim it by either 'adopting' a UK address or claiming they were here when they were there, if you see what I mean!
Wrong. The rules were changed. The part about "qualifying week" means you wouldn't be allowed to claim if you were in hospital, prison etc.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:13 pm

quebin wrote:I rang the Newcastle Pensions Overseas office(0044 191 2187777, 8am to 8pm) about this and was told that the online form was not the correct one
The form looks fine to me.There are restrictions for the qualifying week but they seem to be for situations like if you're in prison or in a nursing home during that period.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Or Comares, don't forget that :lol:

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm

I can only comment on what I was told,that the form I had downloaded from the link on this forum was for people who are living in the UK and that a new form for expats was being produced.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:36 pm

It is, to put it mildly, unclear.
When talking about liars and cheats I was of course referring to the time before any change in the rules...there are lots of suntanned people residing permanently with an aged parent in the Northeast of the UK, and other areas :evil:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Here is the blurb from the site. I posted the form where it said ....
Winter Fuel Payment abroad
If you live abroad, you may be able to receive Winter Fuel Payments if all the following apply:

* You have reached women’s State Pension age
* You live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
* You have a genuine and sufficient link with the UK, for example, you have lived or worked in the UK for most of your working life

If you are in custody under sentence during the qualifying week (17 to 23 September 2012) then you will not be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment.

Download 'Winter Fuel Payment claim form, EEA and Switzerland - current year 2012/2013 (WFP3EEA)' (PDF, 130K)
... the form again from the above is http://tinyurl.com/9o5wkr4

The incorrect form is for residents in the UK.
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 pm

The Directgov site where I got this info is:- http://tinyurl.com/d7s69m4

Drag down to where it says, "Winter Fuel Payment abroad".
Dave

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Quebin, what the people at Newcastle are saying is contrary to the information given on the direct.gov website. Under their paragraph heading "How to claim from abroad" , the site links you directly to the specific application form you downloaded, form no. WFP3(EEA) 10/12.

The first page of the form specifically says to complete it if "you are going to live in or are already living in another EEA country or in Switzerland ", and many of the questions in the form are quite clearly directed at people living outside the UK. Also, the form number has (EEA) in it so it seems pretty clear that it's the right one.

My guess would be that you were just unlucky to speak to a plonker, they seem to employ plenty of them.

Parilla