40 degrees?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: 40 degrees?

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Now here's an interesting phenomenon. Last night the temperature had a big spike in the middle of the night. Up nearly 10c in less than 2 hours and back down again even faster.

The wind changed from SW to North at the same time.

It's going to get really hot for the next three days - could be well over 40c in some places.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:08 pm

God knows how hot it is here :thumbdown: One of our hens sneaked through the gate when hubby went down to put water on the ground so the hens had some cool damp areas in the shade, unfortunately he didn´t notice a hen sneak through (it probably hid amongst the plants) and my sister found it dead at the gate :thumbdown: We had a massive egg today from one of the hens, and hubby said ´I bet a hen dies today now´ as a couple of years ago we had a massive egg and the temperature went to over 40 that day and a hen died. I said at the time he was tempting fate!
Tomorrow due to be higher tomorrow, 45 deg, not as high as they did promise of 46 deg! Sunday is a cool 38 deg.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Ooooh nooooo! But I have my water spray bottle and might even bring the mattress downstairs. Not looking forward to the nights one bit :( It's no problem at the moment, am managing fine.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 pm

We were out walking this morning and along a track there is a house with a large patio, there were 3 beds out on the patio with folk sleeping in them :lol: Well they were sleeping, until their dogs started barking as we walked past with our dogs :lol: It was 8.30am- about time they were up anyway.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm

IreneD: go sailing ... it's the only way to keep cool ... and if you fall in, as I have done several times, the water is beautifully warm! Lake Vinuela is just down the hill from Canillas de Aceituno!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:22 am

I find leaving my hair wet really helps keep me cool, even better if its long enough to pin up, in order to keep it damp :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:32 am

Certainly over 40 here yesterday.(42 and 44 were reported by neighbours). I do not dispute it. The afternoon was cruel. Night not much better.

I see the BBC are forecasting 44 for Malaga one day (Sunday?).

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

Having recently spent the thick end of a month over there I can sympathise with the discomfort of the constant heat.............however it was a flippin' hot here last night. At least in Spain we just used one flimsy sheet..............I spent the night battling with a 98 Tog quilt and a Mrs who had lost that feel good holiday mood :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

These temps are not uncommon in Seville province,where I and oliveview are,however its not just the high temps that are getting to me but the absolutely awful humidity the last two days absolutely saps any energy you might have had,it feels like your being suffocated no breeze at all!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,
As Kexon points out "the absolutely awful humidity the last two days"

Comparing the Aemet data for the areas you guys/girls are complaining about with inland Jaén you're way up on the RH.
So when you post your temperature please add the humidity so we(in Jaén) can break out in a sympathy sweat :think:

Still make the most of it you'll be looking for your thermals soon............. :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Gavilan, thanks for the idea,but I don't know one end of a boat from the other- and OH can't swim. :shock:

Julie, yes, I do that - in fact I often walk around dripping wet, with fans blowing on me :D

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:41 pm

El Cid, funnily enough Jon said he felt wayyy hot this morning after it had been a wee bit cooleer. i can tell him he wasnt imagining it now :lol:

My concern is keeping my 2 little ones cool in this heat. its 41degs here today. we didnt even fill the pool as we are only now back from a long stay in the uk so didnt feel it would be worth the running of it whilst we were away! :thumbdown:

if i had known it was gonna be this hot i would have stayed in the uk a few more weeks!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I spent the night battling with a 98 Tog quilt and a Mrs who had lost that feel good holiday mood :mrgreen:
98 tog!!!! Chr1st, no wonder you were hot, they're normally 9.8! :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: I spent the night on top of ours! Said before, I can't see the fun with 40+º! I don´t envy anyone living in that temp. 26º here today, that was plenty, I was out walking the coast most of the day, that´s bearable, wouldn´t want it any hotter.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Where is here? Frank.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:54 pm

I have now come to the realisation that I am in the minority. I love this heat. I am sitting in my local bar this evening and it's about 34 degs and for the first time this summer I don't have a sweater on. This is why I moved to Spain. I cannot comprenend why anyone would move here and then say it is too hot; it can never be too hot!!!!.....

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 pm

I think Ajtg1952 needs the men in the white jackets to collect him :lol: :lol: 46 deg here today :thumbdown:

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am

I thought the climate was one of the reasons for people moving here.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 am

..was up at 6.30 am today to do a big changeover and it was like walking into an oven outside the house, even though it was dark - yuk. You can imagine just how hot I feel now after 5hrs continuous physical work in this heat - supposed to get even worse tomorrow.
It is OK if you don't have to work outside in it and are holiday making, sitting around in the swimming pool etc., nice cold drink in hand, but when it reaches intense heat danger levels like this, it can make one feel a bit nauseous when working in it.
Need to drink lots of water - am on bottle number three already. Wish me luck - only till 14.30 to go. :lol: :lol: getting too old for this lark :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 am

Footprint wrote:I thought the climate was one of the reasons for people moving here.
It is, but it's a Brit forum, it's what Brits do, moan about the weather! :lol: Give it a couple of weeks and the cold, damp houses, electric blanket threads will be starting. :lol:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

In this heat it is the Spanish who are moaning! Like anis, most of them have to work in it, so the noise of living starts at around 6.30 - neighbour-chat, dogs, loading brick noises, dogs...then a break at about 10.30 for breakfast, then bread man, dogs, 4x4s with rattly trailers, dogs...
The tranquility of the countryside? It was far more peaceful when I had to work in London! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.