40 degrees?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kexon
Resident

Re: 40 degrees?

Postby kexon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:21 am

Spot on Peter,the spanish moan just as much as us Brits,about the heat,damp,rain and the cold!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:40 am

I have great sympathy for those living inland ... and tomorrow is set to be hotter still :thumbdown: . I am not far inland and see the coast from here which disappeared in sea fog last night ... lucky things! We don't enjoy the heat when it is 30 degrees inside and out at midnight, and even though I frequently go into our above-ground pool to try to cool off it is now 34 degrees, so a bit like bath water :shock: . The ceiling fan we've installed in the bedroom makes a huge difference and makes it bearable at nights, but we are looking forward to next month when the severe heat should go a bit.

We don't like it here in the summer months but with 3 cats it's difficult to up and leave for a cooler climate. It's not really for very long that it is so very hot, so we tend to 'hibernate' a bit in this weather. It is the milder winter days that we enjoy and when we get temperatures in the low to mid 20s in the middle of winter it is a real luxury. And of course the brightness of the sky in the winter months .... we were definitely SAD sufferers in the UK!

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Julie wrote:I find leaving my hair wet really helps keep me cool, even better if its long enough to pin up, in order to keep it damp :)
That's a fine idea, now where can I get some hair? :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 pm

My spray bottle was used last night for the first time, I can recommend it for those of you who don't have air con. O.K., can't say I exactly had a good night's sleep, no idea how many times I grabbed it in the night and sprayed myself with water, but I did nod off again after each dousing. :thumbup:

It's the evaporative cooling effect, with the fan blowing on me, I suppose. I got my bottle from the Chinese shop at Periana but I'm sure they're easy to obtain anywhere.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:57 pm

IreneD wrote:My spray bottle was used last night for the first time, I can recommend it for those of you who don't have air con. O.K., can't say I exactly had a good night's sleep, no idea how many times I grabbed it in the night and sprayed myself with water, but I did nod off again after each dousing. :thumbup:

It's the evaporative cooling effect, with the fan blowing on me, I suppose. I got my bottle from the Chinese shop at Periana but I'm sure they're easy to obtain anywhere.
I use a wet flannel for a similar effect, wrapping it around my wrists or laying it on my neck, or any other part of exposed flesh! It keeps drying out in the heat though, so have to get up and wet it again a few times in the night. Like you, I seem to be awake more than asleep at night :crazy: .

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:13 pm

I would say a spray bottle would be better, Wicksey - it's on the floor by my bed and I spray myself, the bed, too - it does help. Roll on the nice cool temps in the early 30s, never imagined I'd think of those sort of temperatures as cool :shock:

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:16 pm

I can generally sleep in this heat but not last night - some kind of feria going on - didn't start until getting on for midnight and they finally turned the music off just after 6! This happens a lot here. The other week there must have been a biker's convention - sounded as if they were racing at 4am! And in between all of this - and in fact every night of the week - dogs, dogs, dogs, dogs............ Certainly not a quiet country to live in.

I knew it was going to be a severely hot one today - my spanish gardener had his hat on - first time this year!
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

We just broke our own weather record, on the same equipment and position since 2000....42.6 degrees Celsius, in well ventilated shade! Phew...and not a breath of wind! The pool feels nice :thumbup:

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

It is raining here!!! and thunder!! We went to Coin this morning and it was 43C, came back and it was only 36C. Shows how it differs within a few kilometres.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Just reached 39.4 here.
Perhaps we won't make the 40.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:33 pm

37c in the house thankfully we have aircon in the bedrooms and the wife has hardly left our's all day, a joy not be organized for a whole day.

Mhic.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 pm

mhic wrote:37c in the house thankfully we have aircon in the bedrooms and the wife has hardly left our's all day, a joy not be organized for a whole day.

Mhic.
In our house in Velez it's 29c - that's a striking difference for a relatively short distance away. We don't have aircon and have never felt we needed it.

I haven't been having any difficulty sleeping, with a fan on in the room and the window open, and haven't needed to resort to dousing myself in water or anything else.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Lucky you!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:44 pm

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats all laid out asleep on the living room floor- wish I could join them!
We got to 46 deg today :thumbdown:

Our Spanish neighbours moan about the weather too, it isn´t just the British who moan!

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Here! 20 in our bedroom , no fans , no open window, no air-con, no noise from feria.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Footprint wrote:I can generally sleep in this heat but not last night - some kind of feria going on - didn't start until getting on for midnight and they finally turned the music off just after 6!
El Morche started their feria last night and although we are some way inland and cannot even see it from our house, the noise was just incredible ... they could have been on the terrace it was so loud. It doesn't finish until Weds night/Thurs morning :thumbdown: It does seem to depend on the air pressure as to how much coastal noise we hear, so maybe that will improve for us. We did try shutting the bedroom window and putting the ceiling fan on full speed, but it was just too airless, so it's earplugs tonight!

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Yes they were at it all night again last night!
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.