landlord protection

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anis
Resident

landlord protection

Postby anis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

For anyone who is thinking of long term letting, especially any on here who are UK domicile, this may be of interest to you -

"One of the best ways to avoid non-paying tenants is to take pre-emptive measures such as carefully screening candidates, weeding out those with unsuitable profiles. Haphazard screening can only lead you into trouble.
There is now a helpful website available that lists non-paying tenants in Spain: ‘Fichero de Inquilinos Morosos’ (FIM). For a reasonable small fee you will be able to search – in English – if your prospective tenant has actually defaulted previously on a Tenancy Agreement. There are professional defaulting tenants that roam the country in search of their next victim, preying preferably on trustful non-residents. In hard times such as these, many struggling landlords cannot endure the hardship of a financial leach that eagerly exploits Spain’s Tenancy laws’ shortcomings."

It is becoming a bigger problem than previously. I only do holiday rentals but it may help those of you with longer contracts. The laws have been changed recently.
I have lifted this from spanish property insight,,,there is more if interested, I will repost.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: landlord protection

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Thank-you, Anis. A useful post. :D

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 pm

The best way to avoid non-paying tenants is not to let your property in the first place.
Let's go Brandon!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm

I heard that the tennancy laws in Spain made it possible for tennants to continue living in a property for decades without the landlord being able to increase the rent.

I could be mistaken though

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 pm

I'd like to see a copy of the Tenancy Agreement laws - any ideas?
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Ask Ant on page 52 of the current Olive Press has some new info.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Barry - just read it. It is more to do with amendments and definitely owner orientated. I would however like to see the complete tenancy agreement. There is plenty there about landlords terminating a contract early but I want to see what grounds a tenant has to do the same.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.