Massive queues getting out of Gib

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
debbie2525
Andalucia.com Amigo

Massive queues getting out of Gib

Postby debbie2525 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Beware anyone thing of going to Gibraltar as the Spanish police are upto their old tricks. My husband has been waiting for anything upto 4 hours this week getting out, they are even making the people who walk across wait by checking everyones passports very slowly!!!!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Massive queues getting out of Gib

Postby Julie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry to have to ask, but why is it in their interest to do that ?
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

debbie2525
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby debbie2525 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 pm

tbh i'm not that sure myself but alot of it stems from Spain wanting to reclaim Gib and what my hubby says i think there was a political figure from Gib complaining about something or other to do with Spain this week. I don't to know anything more! But very annoying for those just trying to do a days work!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 pm

There is a major dispute going on at the moment about fishing rights around Gibraltar and this is the main thing that is stirring up all the old disputes etc over the border controls.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks, I thought they had come to an agreement about the fishing for the moment, shame they can't think of other people, says a lot about the mentality :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Spain hopes that these tatics will harm Gibraltars economy. They don't care that 4000 Spaniards work there. Perhaps if they used proper fishing methods instead of dredging the sea for everything in it they may be allowed to fish more.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 5922.shtml

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for the update. We were going next week but have decided to give it a miss. Our son is visiting so he is fetching out the oats, currants, teabags and MARMITE instead of us making a trip to Gib :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:18 pm

You have to remember the Spanish are World class at shooting themselves in the foot.
We've got a problem with Gib,let's muck the foreigners (read British ) up.No one thinks of the effect on their own people.
It's the same as the cafes and restaurants....fewer people are spending less money so lets put the prices up.
Folly on a grand scale but certainly no surprise.

debbie2525
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby debbie2525 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:32 pm

well just spoken to my hubby who is still in the queue and he says that the Gib police are informing people that they could be in the queue for 6 hours!!!!!!!!!

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

We visited there a few weeks ago and to tell you the truth I couldn't wait to get out of it. It took us about an hour to pass through the checks and it was the british police I thought was holding things up. I have to say, the place is a dump, been there done that.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 pm

A video from a few days ago, most seemed to be averaging a 4 hour delay. No doubt that it's the Spanish causing the delays, even the Spanish think they are being singled out for special treatment. ie delayed
http://tinyurl.com/8ewlu2a
I must agree with Jogger, I went there many years ago and never felt the urge to return.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 pm

jogger wrote:We visited there a few weeks ago and to tell you the truth I couldn't wait to get out of it. .
Typical post of someone who has only wandered around Main st. and morrisons :roll:

Not my favourite place but to be fair where else in the area has so much history to see.

St. Michaels cave...beautiful and some great concerts there
The siege tunnels...some of them still in use
The World war 2 tunnels
The museum with Roman and Moorish baths
Trafalgar Cemetery...read some of the inscriptions of men killed in battle, others dying of cholera
The Moorish castle, see all the incursions made by canons etc
Photo opportunities and bird watching on the other side of the Rock
Afternoon tea at the Rock Hotel and watch the boats to and fro from Africa. Read the guest book as to who has been there.
The cute garden in front of the courthouse with strange plants and shells
The Chapel next to the British High Commission with old battle ragged standards of regiments
The Mediterranean steps...for the fit
The jewish quarter
Casemates square
the Marina with nice restaurants and real steak
For those whose ideal of a day out is sitting in a square for menu del día with a pint maybe not your scene but don't lets get into inverted snobbery. For those who haven't been for years there are some very smart shops there now!

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I agree with Katy - a huge amount of history in Gib.

I went there last Tuesday and queued 20 mins to get in and about 10 mins to get out. On the way out the car in front of me and the car behind were pulled over for special attention - both spanish plated.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Well said Katy. There is a lot more to Gib than just Casements Sq and Morrisons. I can think of a lot less attractive places both Spain and in the UK!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Think I had better up my packets of oats request! Can´t go without my porridge oats in the winter :thumbdown: However much I want porridge, it is not worth a 4-6 hour wait in the queue :thumbdown:

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 pm

I was talking about the scruffy looking flats, the scruffy looking square, it felt more like Portsmouth. The view from the top of the rock was good but most of that wasn't of Gibraltar. I wouldn't be inspired to try a menu del dia there nor would I have a pint, (not that I drink anyway) First impressions were not good, sorry if that is not in line of your cultured view of a place I regard as a tip. Now back in the villages of Andalucia and you're talking culture and views.

Morrisons? Well that just supports my case. Even the M&S was scruffy looking. Most of your places of culture seem to be places of war, whatever floats your boat.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 pm

I am with you Jogger, apart from getting porridge oats, marmite and teabags once a year, there is little in Gib that appeals to us. We have had a walk about the cemetery, visited the Rock and walked around a bit, but there is nothing that makes us rush back (apart from the food mentioned above) We have twice had fish and chips at different places- both times been very disappointed with the food. I am sure there are much better places, we were unlucky not to have found them!

It must be a real pain in the butt for workers wanting to get home. Are there lengthy queues going in or are they saving the problems for the folk getting out?

I thought the ´tax´ for getting into Gib had been shelved, not according to the Typically Spanish link Katy has mentioned. That will not make the workers happy either I bet. :thumbdown:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:53 pm

"Massive queues getting out of Gib"

If Spain does not get it's act together.....

For Gib read Spain !

anyroads

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 am

oliveview01 I used to bring my porridge oats out from UK,but you can now get them from Mercadonnas. Look for Copas de Avenas.
Regards Gib,I visited for a day. I thought it very interesting but grimey and the push and shove in the streets, especially when the schools turned out did make me wonder what it would be like to live there.... it's not for me, but each to their own.
Sandramay

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 am

Slightly off topic,sorry,but I've had porridge for breakfast for the past God knows how many years.
The best oats I've found are Flahavans,they're Irish and you can find them in UK supermarkets,Tesco sell them.Yellow paper packet.
Gib does have its uses,it's worth a day trip for tobacco smokers and if you need a mini GB fix.