Stuff to remove cal.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Stuff to remove cal.

Postby Lyric » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 pm

In the UK we seem to recall some glop that you put in the kettle and boiled to remove cal. Here I am struggling to locate such a product.
I can easily and readily find the stuff to soak things in but this doesn't do it.

Does such a product exist ? What should I look for ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stuff to remove cal.

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Vinegar works well.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm

It's called vinagre! Works just as well as any commercial product - just cover the element and add about the same amount of water, then boil.

As a side note, I just had (literally) a bucket load of cal removed from our electric hot water tank and element, 8 years worth to be precise. Amazing how much builds up. The difference in pressure is incredible, and I imagine we'll be saving quite a bit of 'leccy since the element was a good few inches thick with it. Paid €65 to a local German plumber who's glad of any work he can get lately. I reckon that's saved a couple of hundred at least that it would have cost to replace the tank soon. Well worth doing.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:06 pm

They sell white vinegar in the cleaning section in Mercadona. I use it for lots of things :)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm

I use apple cider vinegar to good effect :thumbup: :D

A word of warning re the kettle tho' - it can boil astonishingly high, so be careful :)

We've got one of those electric cabling thingys on our water system just before the pump, which reduces the cal build up :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Carrefour sell a similar product to Oust. Can't remember what it is called but virtually the same little box.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

I used to buy some stuff in a blue bottle from Mercadona especially for kettles and coffee machines. Sorry but I can't remember what it was called
I can spell but I can't type

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

I'll stick with Agua Fuerte - at suitable dilution of course.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Miro wrote:It's called vinagre! Works just as well as any commercial product - just cover the element and add about the same amount of water, then boil.

As a side note, I just had (literally) a bucket load of cal removed from our electric hot water tank and element, 8 years worth to be precise. Amazing how much builds up. The difference in pressure is incredible, and I imagine we'll be saving quite a bit of 'leccy since the element was a good few inches thick with it. Paid €65 to a local German plumber who's glad of any work he can get lately. I reckon that's saved a couple of hundred at least that it would have cost to replace the tank soon. Well worth doing.
Have to agree about the hot water tank here in Turre the water is very hard and the tank needs to be sorted every 2 years or so otherwise it'll go bang. We had a Spanish plumber sort it out (what a dirty job) and it took about 3 hours emptying the tank and removing the cal - cost us €30 - bargain.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I'll stick with Agua Fuerte - at suitable dilution of course.

ive always used agua fuerte, neat, for alot of things. cover the element, swill it about, pour it out, rinse a couple times with cold water. clears all the call in 30 seconds or so. do it once a week for a nice shiney kettle (not good for stainless steel ones)

also used to clear drains, terraces (diluted, in a watering can with a head on), swimming pool cal build up, dribble it round the edges.

agua fuerte is sulphuric acid, it attacks most stuff that you want to get rid of. water stains on utility room floors etc. (dont use on the old black and white speckle tiles, it eats them :wtf: )
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 am

spanish_lad wrote:
agua fuerte is sulphuric acid, it attacks most stuff that you want to get rid of. water stains on utility room floors etc. (dont use on the old black and white speckle tiles, it eats them :wtf: )
It is hydrochloric acid ! :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:00 am

My hubby fitted a filter and we don't get cal in the kettle now, best 85 euro I ever spent,there is no lugging bottle water after that :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm

gus-lopez wrote:It is hydrochloric acid ! :thumbup:

you know thats what i meant :shh: :shifty: :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chadbukl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chadbukl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Julie wrote:My hubby fitted a filter and we don't get cal in the kettle now, best 85 euro I ever spent,there is no lugging bottle water after that :)

Any recommendations on water filter?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I fitted a few of those cartridge filter holders, the ones with the blue top and clear bowl that can be unscrewed and cartridge filters fitted. Dunno how better to describe them really. They cost around 15 euros each.

The filter costs vary from 19euros or so for cal cartridges to a few euros for sludge filters. We have a lot of crap in our water both physical and chemical so I have 5 micron filter, 1 micron filter, cal filter, activated carbon filter.

No cal problems now..

But I do have a question. How do you know when the cal cartridge needs replacing. Presumably the polyphosphate absorbs the cal and so has a finite lifetime. Do the crystals turn opaque, or disappear, or what?

Oh and another useful feature of these filters is that you can remove a filter, fill the bowl with Descal or the like and blast it through the hot water heater.system to clear out the pipes. I was amazed at the sludge that came out of our instantaneous junkers heater the first time I tried this.
Regards

Bob

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Casita, the water will stop running when you need to change the filters.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 am

This is the water filter we have, that I mentioned earlier:
http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Detail ... oductID=86

AFAIK this is by far the cheapest system they offer, easy to fit and works fairly well

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm

chrissiehope wrote:This is the water filter we have, that I mentioned earlier:
http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Detail ... oductID=86

AFAIK this is by far the cheapest system they offer, easy to fit and works fairly well
Im tempted to get and fit one of these, but have always wondered if they do really work?
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am

We'd thought about a 'serious' filter, but the expense put us off. This, for about £80, was worth a try, and it does seem to reduce the amount of cal that comes thro the system. My 'test kit' is not very scientific, as it is the pan I use to boil water for washing up :wink: , but it used to get a rapid build-up of cal on the pan, and after fitting this system, the build-up is noticeably less (tho there is still some) :D

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks. Like you say its worth a try. We seem to get a lot of cal here, and if you use the tap water to make a drink we get bits in the bottom of the cup. Weve even found that we get a small amount with some bottled water.
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com