Burglaries

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Burglaries

Postby deb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Our house was broken into, nothing taken but they had ransacked everything. The feeling that someone has been in the house makes me feel so sick. I dare not even leave the house now. Thinking of measures to prevent it happening again, my husband is outside putting up lighting in the dark places, we are seeing someone about getting an alarm fitted and are considering get a dog. But then if they want to be in i dont suppose nothing will stop them. Just glad that we didnt have anything valuble in the house.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Burglaries

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear that - it is always distressing.

What sort of house and what type of location?

A good alarm system is probably your best bet as the burglars are more likely to rob someone else.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I am so sorry to hear that, I know I would also feel as you do, it must be awful. I personally would op for a dog, maybe a rescue that is only used to outside life and would welcome a nice bed, personally I think people tend to ignore alarms, either way I do feel for you, hope you feel a little securer in time :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I do hope you are OK it is a terrible shock.

I wish you and your husband well.....
ML

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Julie wrote: I think people tend to ignore alarms, (
That depends on the alarm. If it just makes a noise then, yes, people often don't want to get involved. If it is a proper one, connected to a control centre and monitored 24/7 then that tends to be a bigger deterrent and that's what it's all about, deterring the thieves from breaking in in the first place.

The latest systems have cameras built in so the control centre can see exactly what's going on and from the thieves point of view do they want to risk having video evidence of their break in available to the police?

Most burglaries are opportunist events where they may find a bit of cash or a camera or phone which can be easily sold. If you have a house full of expensive paintings and jewelry then, if they know that, it will be much more difficult to stop them if they are determined to break in but most of us are not in that position.

Sid

deb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby deb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Thankyou for your replies, We have someone coming to see us about getting an alarm fitted and our neighbours just down the road are thinking of getting one, we would be able to hear each others. I always thought burglars would try to break in where they are not seen, but they smashed an upstairs french door seen from the side of the road, how the hell they got up to the balcony I do not know. Not sure if they got disturbed as they left through the hole in the glass rather than unlock a door. We really thought they were still in the house when we returned, so didnt dare come in untill the police turned up which took them 90min which should be a 10min drive.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm

We have a Securitas system.
A monitoring station can see inside your house through the PIR's installed on the walls.
They can also communicate with you should intruders be on the premises when you're in the house.
You can also see,via your pc,whats happening in your house when away.
It wasn't dear and neither is the monthly charge.
You don't need a phone line.
Don't buy an alarm from the man down the street'cos it's cheap....you only get what you pay for.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Deb
Know how you feel.
We were burgled a while ago.
Having a largish aggressive looking dog didn't make any difference.
Don't think a burglar alarm on it's own would be of much use.
Have a look at http://www.securitasdirect.es/seo/english.html
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

That's the badger Gerry.
Bi lingual staff as well.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes, that's the one we have.

It also has perimeter cameras/sensors. They are really on the ball if the alarm goes off - we had a few false alarms when it was being set up. It was the perimeter alarms going off when it got windy and the trees were moving around.

They call you on your mobile. If you have a Smartphone you can turn it on and off remotely and also look through the cameras!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm

One other feature, which I hope I never have to use, is that if you have intruders you can press the buttons on one of the control panel and they will silently monitor your conversation.
If you use the word you pre agreed with Securitas when they installed the system they will inform the police and, hopefully, they will arrive whilst the intruders are still there.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am

That is the one that is in this house - I pay 35 euros per month and I think that includes servicing.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:49 pm

I know we've spoken on facebook, but just to say again how sorry I am this has happened - hope you're getting over the shock xx