Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire!

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:53 pm

scampicat wrote:
Funnily enough, one of the reasons we left Spain (me in particular), was that there was nothing to do that I wanted to do. I could not do my church work, I could not do a part time job, my husband could not do his open mic or other gigs. He found it less this way than me, but even he said after eight years that he had painted all the pictures and taken all the photographs. You don't want to walk in the hills every day (or at least I don't). We just began to find life in an Alpujarran village limiting and, dare I say it, boring.

But I'm glad we did it. For most of the time we enjoyed it.
You should read the books written by Vicoria Twead about their experiences living in the Alpujarras. A really good read that I am sure you willequate with.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victoria-Twead/e/B002WH2NB8

Sid

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

frank wrote:
John & Kath wrote:
We can't afford to eat at home here a four course lunch costs between €6.95 and €10 we couldn't buy the ingredients, cook them run the dish washer and heat the house for €15 a day and it is good wholesome food and we are loosing weight which saves us weight watchers et al. We get lots of free vitamin "D" and the climate is good for our arthritis. So it's win win all round.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you've found Shangri-La! :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
Not quite our most precious things are in GB, 3 adult children and soon to be our first 2 grandchildren. However they are spread out between MK Brum and Cork so with good flights from Faro we can be with any of them in about 5 hrs door to door. They can come here anytime and share the sun and cheap living. So a good compromise!
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Free at Last wrote:
katy wrote:I don't know where they must live either. Everything seems to be booming, retail sales up, car sales up, jobs up. In Marbella last year it was noticably gloomy around the old town and shopping centres.
It's good that some areas of the UK are still doing so well, but the ever growing gap between them and the less fortunate places does bother me. It's not as simple as a North-South divide either (which has always existed but does seem to have got even more pronounced), I was just reading a comment on another forum from someone who had been back to the UK (not from Spain) and visited Torquay and was struck by how run down it seemed with lots of closed shops. I would never have thought of Torquay as a deprived area.
You'd be surprised, even in the 'good' times under the surface those areas always had problems. torquay, teignmouth, Dawlish, Brixham, exmouth, etc; even Kingsbridge. It was far less noticeable when things were good but when times got tough !
I lived & worked down there for nearly 20 years after leaving London & it always appeared to me that it wouldn't take much for the wheels to fall off.
There was something about Torquay & the unemployment on tv the other night but for the life of me I can't remember what !

When I was first down there i was struck by the amount of people that 'fostered children. That was until I found out how much they got 'paid' for each one. It was a guaranteed source of income in areas where much of the work was seasonal.
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Hmm...British High Streets are having a tough time because of the increase in internet shopping. Retail sales were UP 1.9% UK....Spain's was down 10.7% :eh: Unemployment is 6.8% in Torquay, 13.5% youth unemployment. Best take your kids to Spain where it's only 55% :crazy:

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm

The flip flop UK government fiddle the unemployment figures so much the true figures are more like 15% and 30% :yawn:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Of course the spanish wouldn't do anything like that...would they :roll:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm

There is an argument that the Spanish unemployment rate is actually less than it appears because of the amount of people registered unemployed and working without paying taxes.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 pm

There is also an argument that the unemployment rate is higher...who knows who is right. I do know that when workers run out of benefit they aren't counted anymore. The figures for jobless adds up to jobs destroyed and the civil servants surely haven't given up their jobs to do a bit of olive picking :think: The ones being evicted from their homes don't seem to have found any "black" work! lot of jobs lost are for low paid workers and they don't pay much tax, most are keen to have a contract and the security it brings, ask any Spaniard.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:The flip flop UK government fiddle the unemployment figures so much the true figures are more like 15% and 30% :yawn:
Luv it! :lolno: Someone writing from Spain accusing other countries of fiddling. :lol: You're living in the most corrupt country in Europe, it's rotten from top to bottom. From taxi drivers right up through to royalty, they're all at it.The Spanish themselves, brought up on corruption, are finally deciding enough is enough.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21367441
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm

katy wrote:There is also an argument that the unemployment rate is higher...who knows who is right. I do know that when workers run out of benefit they aren't counted anymore. The figures for jobless adds up to jobs destroyed and the civil servants surely haven't given up their jobs to do a bit of olive picking :think: The ones being evicted from their homes don't seem to have found any "black" work! lot of jobs lost are for low paid workers and they don't pay much tax, most are keen to have a contract and the security it brings, ask any Spaniard.
Katy, You know I don't need to go very far to ask a Spaniard. I know things are bad but I'm saying something else and Frank's link bears me out. getting a fixed contract in Spain is not always so easy even for the Spaniards. There is and has always been quite a large black economy in Spain.

As far as corruption is concerned, maybe the tide is turning against the politicians, although very slowly. Quite a few people here have been talking about the Chris Huhne incident and remaking about the difference between what it is like Spain compared to Britain.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 pm

I miss spain a lot and hate the brain washing that has gone on here in the uk, I find it very hard to understand how people tick in the uk .
If I come back to spain I wouldnt buy again I would rent I would not get involved in dealing with officialdom again.
I cant stay in the uk I hate it. It brings tears to my eyes when I hear a spanish talking person and there are quite a few here now.
Think twice before returning all the freedom you have in spain will disappear the moment you get back to uk.
If you want to attack what I have written dont bother . I speak as i find and thats my opinion which is allowed. :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

LadyM .What's stopping you going back?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Think twice before returning all the freedom you have in spain will disappear the moment you get back to uk.
I suppose there is freedom and freedom. I never experienced any oppressive restrictions when I lived in the UK nor, as far as I am aware, does the family still living there. All the freedoms of living in a modern society were enjoyed.

On the other hand, I understand that if I want to do any minor DIY in my house here in Spain, I am supposed to get a permit from the Town Hall. Why? I cannot pay my road tax for the current year until 15 March - why? There is little or no of choice of utility supplies... So much for freedom.

Ok, minor matters but nevertheless practical limits on my freedom!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

I got a chiste from my friend today, it shows a load of corrupt politcians rolling around laughing at the fact that Chris Hulme even got noticed let alone it going to court :( they can't believe anyone would do anything about a speeding fine :crazy:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 am

You're living in the most corrupt country in Europe
What about Greece? Italy? How about our own UK MPs with their expense fiddling? How about that dolt who got his wife to accept his speeding ticket? I'd be the first to say that Spain's not perfect, but have a look at other European countries. If only we were more like Germany.
Dave

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 am

I lived in Germany for four years, they are very regimented. Church Tax - WTF!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 pm

katy wrote:I don't know where they must live either. Everything seems to be booming, retail sales up, car sales up, jobs up. In Marbella last year it was noticably gloomy around the old town and shopping centres.
I spent my bi-annual week back in the UK before Xmas, visiting Derbyshire, Herefordshire and Devon, and I can say without exception, everywhere seemed gloomy. The pubs and restaurants were quiet, shops either boarded up or turned into charity shops,streets full of litter and wheely bins, peoples houses and gardens looked drab ( maybe the weather doesn't help), and not many smiley faces.
At least here, although the economic situation maybe dire, the sun shines, most property looks well kept, flowers in window boxes, gardens and in public places, and the streets kept tidy.
Hardworking resident !!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm

I have to agree with finca - I have spent the last couple of months in England and have found it very depressing.........but it's helped me make my mind up that Spain is where I want to settle.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm

IreneD wrote:I have to agree with finca - I have spent the last couple of months in England and have found it very depressing.........but it's helped me make my mind up that Spain is where I want to settle.
It was ok. to pop back for medical treatment though.... :mrgreen:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Deep sigh........please see my other post. My cancer scare started before we fulfilled the criteria necessary to become residents and we only moved a few months ago and we spent less than 183 days in Spain in 2012.........