Expensive in Malaga City now

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Expensive in Malaga City now

Postby laswalkirias » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I stayed in center of Malaga last week and was a bit suprised how expensive it has become
Clothe and shoe shops were more expensive than London and Mercadona was more or less equal in prices for food in UK
I thought there was a recession, how have prices gone up so much since last year, when it is reported that many people are on the breadline and young people cant get work
I know there was a carnival but city shops and cafes were rammed!!!
The only cheap item I found was wine from Mercadonna
I was expecting the centre of the city to be full of beggars and there were no more than usual
I came back to London and people here in Uk looked shabby and desperate
Its a funny old world
Dying to move to spain

Footprint
Resident

Re: Expensive in Malaga City now

Postby Footprint » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I have just been to Tesco and was berating myself for going at a stupid time when it will be mob-handed with people after work. But it wasn't - it was really quiet - as were the roads at rush hour time. Incredible.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I would agree with the price rises in Spain,Spanish goods are often cheaper in UK than Spain.
As for "shabby and desperate" I think it depends on which borough you live in and which town.
My London borough is one of the affluent ones,houses are rising in price in my town and sell quickly at or above price.
No sign of desperation here,the cafes ,restaurants and coffee shops are full,in fact a new restaurant opened a month ago and every day theres a queue

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

We live 12 miles outside Manchester city centre and our town is thriving, it has all the shops the city centre has and all appear to be doing fine, I am not sure how the smaller towns are doing though, the city centre is really busy, but a lot of people are there as tourist, students etc. Houses seems to be selling in our area and I haven't noticed the prices going down, maybe going up a little.
Lets hope UK and Spain grow stronger in order to help all the people we don't notice, especially those in Spain who are struggling with the repossessions, so sad to see so many people taking there own live's in this day and age in Europe.

I stayed over night in Malaga in November and I was surprised to see how many people appeared to be living on the streets, first time I have felt unsafe alone at night, hadn't noticed it before, and I stay in the same area when I fly from Malaga
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I thought it was only me that found Spain as dear as UK in many respects, but the members here assure me everything is as cheap as chips! :lolno:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 am

"I have just been to Tesco and was berating myself for going at a stupid time when it will be mob-handed with people after work. But it wasn't - it was really quiet - as were the roads at rush hour time. Incredible"

Is it not half term ?

It does make a difference you know !

anyroads

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:09 am

You could well be right - I have no idea.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 am

The roads are always quieter at half term,no indulgent mothers driving the 1 mile journey to school and choking everything up.
The shops are normally more of a pain with parents dragging screaming kids around.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm not sure that you can make viable comparisons betweens towns / cities/ countries as it really depends on just where you live and your own personal circumstances and of course fluctuation of currencies.
We personally find that our cost of living is lower in Spain than in UK, but that really is because of our particular lifestyle and where we live and where we used to live.
I am very aware of the costs of everyday items in both countries, and in both countries if you buy locally produced goods then the cost should be cheaper, and if you visit a city or tourist area anywhere then you have to expect to pay more, it's always been like that.
But if you live permanently in say a city, then you will no doubt be aware of the cheaper places to shop etc.
So my advice is not to worry about it and get on and enjoy your lives wherever and whatever you are doing.. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

The bars in the new Malaga port charge between 3 and 3.50€ for a large beer. That would cost €8 in Puerto Banus. I have always found the food and drink in Malaga cheap but clothes are very expensive. Only time it looked cheaper was when the exchange rate was €1.40 to the pound.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:22 am

costakid wrote:The bars in the new Malaga port charge between 3 and 3.50€ for a large beer. That would cost €8 in Puerto Banus. I have always found the food and drink in Malaga cheap but clothes are very expensive. Only time it looked cheaper was when the exchange rate was €1.40 to the pound.
So around here a pint , tanque, will cost you 1,50€. They make a profit . So some places are taking the p****.
My wife doesn't even buy meat now as one bar/restaurant we eat in the prices are that low you can't even buy the meat let alone prepare/cook it plus vegetables.I just order large amounts in advance then freeze it.
Around here the price of tapas can vary hugely.
Todos somos Lorca.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 am

Gus, at those prices it must be horse p+++. Everything has horse in it these days. LOL

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:46 am

gus-lopez wrote;
So around here a pint , tanque, will cost you 1,50€. They make a profit . So some places are taking the p****.
To be fair, I bet that around you the rents are nowhere near those of the new Málaga port area. Prices are affected by overheads after all.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am

If we were in Banus we used to have a drink in the News Cafe. A small brandy was 8€ years ago. Made us smile when we saw the faces of some when they got the tab :lolno: I didn't think spanish bars sold beer by the pint very often unless catering for ex-pats, never seen a Spaniard with a pint.

There is a difference between good value and cheap. Everyone has to make a profit and if things are soo cheap I would question what is in (or not in) it.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am

costakid wrote:Gus, at those prices it must be horse p+++. Everything has horse in it these days. LOL
costakid wrote:Gus, at those prices it must be horse p+++. Everything has horse in it these days. LOL
:lol:
Estrella Levante.
http://www.estrellalevante.es/home/home.asp

If you buy it buy the litre bottle it's 2€.
Rents, they aren't cheap around here in my opinion.Probably not on Marbella scale but all commercial rents are ridiculous money.
Todos somos Lorca.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 am

you cant really compare lorca to malaga... surely? its like chalk and cheese... like inner city london and say.. cornwall? :wtf:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 am

spanish_lad wrote:you cant really compare lorca to malaga... surely? its like chalk and cheese... like inner city london and say.. cornwall? :wtf:
Having lived/worked in both places there is no difference in prices . Cornwal/Devon are not places to pick for anything cheap.Having lived in Devon for 18 years before coming out here I now refuse to pay any price that is extortionate Which , in the UK is 99% , so I do not buy anything.
katy wrote: I didn't think spanish bars sold beer by the pint very often unless catering for ex-pats, never seen a Spaniard with a pint.
Come to Águilas. The Spanish women drink it for breakfast ! I was amazed when I first saw it & it wasn't a one off.
Todos somos Lorca.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

gus-lopez wrote;
Having lived/worked in both places there is no difference in prices . Cornwal/Devon are not places to pick for anything cheap.Having lived in Devon for 18 years before coming out here I now refuse to pay any price that is extortionate Which , in the UK is 99% , so I do not buy anything.
Eh? Are you saying that when you go to the UK you don't buy anything? So what do you live on while there? Surely at the very least you have to buy something to eat?
If that is not what you are saying then I don't understand your comment.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Blimey.
I live in uk and wish I could live on 1% of not very much!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 pm

i was in malaga yesterday morning near the bus station and it seemed quite reasonable?

plate of the day - about 15 different choices, with a drink, 5€. or menu of the day, starter, main, desert and a drink, 8€.. and that was over looking the port ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.