The Crisis..Some Positive Points.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: The Crisis..Some Positive Points.

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:50 pm

It means tourism that supports the tourist destination with more than just money and does not spoil the very area people have come to enjoy. For example, tourists who come to inland Andalucia (or anywhere else rural) and stay in a local casa rural or on an environmentally friendly campsite in, or near, villages where part of the holiday is about speaking the local language, mixing with local people and eating local produce thereby supporting and sustaining the local economy. It might mean learning local crafts, folk dancing, making cheese, walking, cycling, etc. It sounds a bit 'New Age' but it is increasing in popularity among responsible tourists from the young all the way up to the very old. If you google or yahoo responsible tourism it will give you an idea. It's the antithisis of a holiday in Puerto Banus ...

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for that Lavanda.
It's the antithisis of a holiday in Puerto Banus ...
In all seriousness both the above and the eco thing would make me want to run a mile.

And as for Katy's snippet about washing the bed linen with nuts.........my sides are seriously killing me now :lol: :lol: .....a classsic.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Olive ,
Well you sound as if you were really unlucky, we've bought numerous items from both the electrodomestic outlets here and never had a problem, possibly you had a problem with translation, they are very 'Andaluz' and 'laid back' here !
My 'home' Town Hall does seem to be getting money from somewhere, they really are getting on with all sorts of repairs and are doing a 'regeneration' program on old properties, there is at least 5 that I know of being restored at the present.
And I can't complain about the roads, most are in a good state of repair, amazing that just a few kilometers away that you have so many problems, but I know where you live and yes the roads are bad.

Anyway keep smiling Olive and enjoy your walks in the countryside. :wink:

Regards,
Gordon.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:20 pm

IreneD wrote:
katy wrote: I do hope you realise Frank got deleted for mentioning something cheap in the UK :wink: :lolno:
Yes, I did hesitate, as its nothing to do with Andalucia - delete it if you like, Sid :thumbup: (butitisiagreatplacewithtastyfood lol)

Irene I am aware that some of my posts mention things in UK but if a comparison is made and both countries are mentioned you're still talking about Spain.
But Sid is moderator and has the red pen!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Agreed DA! :lol: Luckily there are degrees of responsible tourism. I'm not sure I would want the most primitive of bathroom conditions on holiday. I experienced enough of that in rural China twenty years ago! :lol: However, this whole concept is on the rise, including in inland Spain. Tourists seem to want to have holidays that they can square off with their World-in-Crisis mentality. The Dutch are especially keen on these kinds of holiday experiences.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Lavanda,
I have stayed a couple of times in eco friendly accommodation and I do agree with it, trouble is I'm just a lazy old sod now who likes lots of comfort and I like to be 'pampered' ... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Anyway, the Euro crisis is over. Hollande told our Japanese friends this a few days ago. I for one believe him, why wouldn't I.!

Phew what a relief. I now have my UPS package. I am going to ask for compensation. Not because I expect some even though I deserve it. No just to try and get them to improve the experience for other folk in Spain. Won't happen, any more than my electrical appliance arriving mid next month.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:08 pm

"I'm just a lazy old sod now who likes lots of comfort and I like to be 'pampered' "

So do I. :D There's is sometimes a big gap between what we know we should do and what we actually do do. However, whether it's a coincidence with the crisis, or a spin off from all this talk of austerity over the last few years, the rise of responsible tourism is, probably, positive. Probably.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Nimrod wrote: Irene I am aware that some of my posts mention things in UK but if a comparison is made and both countries are mentioned you're still talking about Spain.
But Sid is moderator and has the red pen!
I don't mind being deleted :) Sid only wields his red pen after due deliberation and with our best interests at heart :wink: .........or I could simply delete my post :think: oh OK I'll do that :thumbup: You're quite right Nimrod, I didn't compare with anything in the U.K.but actually I don't like doing that. Like I said in my thread a while ago 'Differences' I can see good and bad things in both countries but I don't like actually saying 'this is better' . Am I rambling? O.K. shutting up and off to delete :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Not for the first time I feel like I've lost the plot. There's another thread going on here that must make sense to those who read the deleted posts. I didn't. :?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 pm

It's nothing, Lavanda - just some off topic stuff :)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks, Irene. At least I'm reassured that my marbles are still somewhere about my person. :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes indeed, Lavanda - marbles all present and correct :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Irene, never apologise, never explain :D Just let Sid do his worse!

Back to the eco stuff, I am quite environmentally aware. I pull carrier bags and plastic bottles out of the sea. I recycle as much as I can. However, my holidays are sacred. I want clean sheets every day, fluffy towels not some calico knocked up by the local co-op. Power shower with lashings of hot water and I don't want to think about low paid people, dolphins or where my rubbish is going...it's someone elses job for a couple of weeks :wink: In other words, holidays are about luxury not packing a hair shirt.

If the Dutch are doing Eco I hope they have some planet friendly ashtrays...they are big smokers :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:07 am

Well I do consider the 'Eco' ideas to be 'positive' points, and I have to say that I've noticed that local people ( not just Town Hall workers ), do seem to be taking more care of the local vicinity and keeping their houses ,gardens/ allotments etc in good clean and tidy order.
I always take a carrier bag with me when dog walking and of course a supply of 'poop' removal bags, and if I spot any rubbish laying around I duly remove it to a bin and take empty bottles and cans to the recycling bins.
Not a difficult task and it makes my walk more pleasant.. :thumbup:

However I will leave it to Katy to swim out into shark infested waters to recover the plastic bags. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am

One thing I don't do is recycle bottles and plastic. The only reason I don't is that the bottle banks etc aren't emptied often enough so are normally full. I use them for the short time that there is space in them.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 am

"Campo Steve''....Validly added..."One thing I don't do is recycle bottles and plastic. The only reason I don't is that the bottle banks etc aren't emptied often enough so are normally full. I use them for the short time that there is space in them.

I can understand why you don't recycle in these circumstances, it is extremely frustrating to cart your bottles etc to the banks to find them over-flowing.
We are lucky here in our town as they do empty them regularly, however so many people who use the bins don't make any effort to reduce the size of plastic bottles etc, it's so easy to squash the air out of them, then put the top back on, then it only takes up a quarter of the space.
But I suppose it's good that they are at least making the effort to put the recycled items in the right place.!

What does worry me is the fact that I remember that in the UK much of the recycled items were still ending up in land fills, I hope that doesn't happen here.

Regards,
Gordon the Womble...

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:09 am

I do wonder what happens to the plastic bottles. There's quite often a black pall of smoke eminating from the site the bin lorries empty at near to the El Engenio centre (Velez/Torre) and wonder if that is partly the plastic bottles. No evidence to back that up, but.........
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm

"Anyway, the Euro crisis is over. Hollande told our Japanese friends this a few days ago. I for one believe him, why wouldn't I.!"

That may well be so, but according to "Bloomberg" today, talking about Spain.........

"Unemployment will remain "very high", at above 36 percent, at least until there is a sustained recovery".

There you have it !

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Oops sorry......typo, that should be 26 percent ( it feels better already )

anyroads