So hot!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

So hot!

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:31 pm

I can only stand being out on the terrace for 10 minutes at a time! I want a sun tan! But the pool is now open in Canillas so I will be getting a season ticket and going there lots - if I can cope with the 10 minute walk in the heat :D You guys with pools are so lucky!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: So hot!

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Not when it's 1500 miles away we're not :cry:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:55 pm

It must be much hotter that bit further inland, Irene - we have been down to Torre del Mar for lunch today and were remarking how nice and cool it seemed for this time of year! Over the sea it was really misty, you couldn't see a thing beyond the shoreline.

We've spent most of the last week in Valencia city centre and it was hotter, and more humid, there.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 pm

A couple of days ago on CanalSur they showed Córdoba and it had been 39C there!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Lol DA - good point!

Free at Last, we can usually see the sea (just) but not today - that must be because of the mist. We are trying to restrict trips down to the coast to save petrol money but it sounds lovely today from what you say, not too hot. Maybe we'll go out tomorrow and I can keep cool in the sea, if I need to. :thumbup:

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm

It's been lovely here near Alcaucin today. I even had my first swim of the year in the pool! (Yes, I am soft...)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Sigh.........you have a pool :mrgreen:

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm

IreneD wrote:Sigh.........you have a pool :mrgreen:
Sorry ;) *Can't wait* for it to get hotter - love my midnight swims!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Rub it in, go on, lol

:cry:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi IreneD,
Get yourself above ground pool, you can get a modest size one , enough to dip into on the Hot nights .
Some I've seen these day can be assembled in no time.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:56 pm

You haven't seen the size of our terrace, Enrique :) I bet their expensive too - and what about filling and emptying it? Lovely idea, though :thumbup:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:20 pm

So Irene, basically you are saying, you are hot !

anyroads

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes, fascinating eh? :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Went walking in the Sierra de Gredos today at 1500m and it was sunny with a breeze. Spring is still in evidence with yellow broom, purple lavander and hundreds of wild rose bushes. The north of Extremadura is still green, the rivers full of water and the natural pools are refreshing. 120km south, where I live, and it's hot and yellow. The village pool is open but it's anything but natural. Oops. That's the eco thread, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Irene, please take care in the sun, plenty of protection, I didn't realise just how easy it is to get skin cancer :thumbdown: and I am not a sun worshipper at all and use protection although I am pale skinned, so wack plenty of cream on you :thumbup:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Very good advice re sunscreen, hubby, who has pale skin is visiting the dermatologist tomorrow with an iffy mole :?
Factor 20 minimum, this time of year factor 40 for us pale skinned folk. I was told I am not a good advertisement for living in Spain!!
The ceiling fan is not enough in the bedroom when the temperature gets hot, so out comes the floor fan, if that isn't enough we use the aircon. Last night the floor fan stopped working, so switched on the aircon, that started dripping :thumbdown: woke OH up as it dripped on his head :lolno: better be ok tonight!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:45 pm

Sounds lovely, Lavanda. I haven't had a walk for days! (Did I mention it's hot? :D )

Regarding sunscreen, I'm probably not careful enough, to be honest. Not that I've been able to stay in the sun long enough for it to burn me. We are planning on going to the coast tomorrow, so I will definitely wear sunscreen. OH never does and I know my nagging won't make any difference. Hope he doesn't regret it one of these days! Thanks for the reminder, Julie and Oliveview. I hope your OH's iffy mole is nothing to worry about, Oliveview and that you are drip-free tonight :)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am

I wouldn't worry about not having a pool Irene - they are a very mixed blessing.....on our last visit my son & I (with a little help from hubby who has a lung condition) completely sanded & repainted our pool. Not a fun job (& it meant I couldn't get on with weeding, so heaven knows what the garden will be like come Sept :roll: )

And while it's nice to ccool off in, there's scooping out bugs spiders & leaves; checking pH & chlorine levels; brushing the sides; vacuuming......

Have you tried running a cool bath & sitting in it ? :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:44 am

Aaw, bless you, Chrissie, I feel better now :think: .........I think. I am very lazy so all the work involved doesn't appeal - I'll cope somehow *smiles bravely*

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:34 am

... and don't forget the hats! Wearing a hat always makes me feel hotter to start with but after a neighbour got skin cancer - on the top of his balding head IN THE UK from the feeble Devon sun - I always wear a hat and so does my OH.