Car Hire collect from Malaga terminal

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bushman
Tourist

Car Hire collect from Malaga terminal

Postby bushman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi,
In September I will be bringing over my 91 year old father in law. I have used Malaga Car for some years but the walk and climbing on and off the minibus is not for him! Can anyone recommend a car hire company that I can collect a car from the terminal or terminal car park?

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Car Hire collect from Malaga terminal

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Gold car, same level as arrivals. There are a few other in there as well.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Difficult to recommend one as they all have faults.
For instance,if you google Goldcar complaints you'll be put off for life.
ditto people like Record.
quite a few of us use DoYouSpain.
They are agents but they list the car hire companies they use and make it clear who are in the Arrivals Hall.
I use Advantage which used to be part of Hertz.They are located in the garage so you go through Arrivals down the ramp,past the other hire firms and they are through the doors in the left hand corner....easy.
There will be people who've used them who have cause for complaint but I've always had a good experience

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Bushman, if your father struggles with the long walk (I find it impossible) why don't you book assistance for him at the airport? If your flight company can't do it, you can e-mail the airport direct giving flight number, date, etc the Sin barreras team will meet him at the plane and wheel him round to the Malaga car pick-up point. They now have a little step on board to help with getting on/off board. This way you can stay with the car company (no I'm not on commission :) ) Even if you hire on site there is still that long walk down a difficult slope.
In the UK the system is called One Complete Solution. I've met with nothing but kindness and helpfulness. Hope this helps.
Sandramay

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 am

Advantage now renamed as Firefly.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Helle Hollis are still number one for customer service. They may work out slightly dearer but you get what you pay for. My last car from them had zero km's on it. They will also bring the car to you in the terminal for a small charge. Really what you need to decide here is how important the price of the rental is balanced against stress and strain on you & Dad. I bring my 93 year old mother over to Malaga and she is still able to manage the bus to Helle Hollis. If you get a quote from the HH web site I can get you a 15% discount off that price again. My son is renting a Peugot 308 in august for seven days and its €240. He's pleased with the cost. You really do not want ANY delay at all when picking up the car while you have a 91 year old with you. HH every time.

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I also use Malaga car and would suggest you speak with them as they also drop off at the airport in their rental cars so they might pick up too if asked.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 am

I like Malagacar but their vans can be difficult to get into so sometimes I have left my partner in the airport, picked up the car and collected her at arrivals.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 am

I also use Malaga car, with no complaint, except to query and suggest they had steps to aid the less nimble into the minibus. They now have them. For the last two years they have also taken me in the hire car straight to departures.
Sandramay

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 pm

You are quite right SandraMay. Last time I used them I was so eager to get on board I tripped over it!

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Now that's normally my forte :)
Sandramay

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:22 am

Yes I asked for wheelchair assitance for my 86 yr old mum. The guy wheeled all the way to the car in the car park. It's no problem and very efficient and FREE. They meet you off the plane and take you all the way. And on the way back they meet you at check in, take you express speed through passport and security straight to your gate. It's just not worth doing anything else given the distances and queues that can be experienced at AGP airport.

For a 91 year old the walk from plane to arrivals hall will be too much, depending on arrival gate. Get assistance.

And don't for gawd's sake use Goldcar or Record. Use doyouspain and filter out those disgusting rogues on the search options. At peak times the queues for those two can be well over an hour. And then they start aggressive selling of their overpriced insurance.

I agree with other comments. Use Firefly if on a budget. Use HelleHollis for quality and service (at a price.)

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Two things to add to ashtondav's post:

If you have prebooked assistance at Malaga and you're returning a hire car, if you go to floor 0, there is a call system (with the sin barreras logo), press the button and someone will speak to you, check you're booked, and send a chair to get you and take you to the assistance desk in the main hall to complete the paperwork :thumbup: Only drawback is there are no seats at the call point :thumbdown: and sometimes you have to wait a while...

The other point is re Goldcar, Record etc - on our last trip we had a Goldcar car, and as you say, the queue was back to the stairs :thumbdown: but the 'pusher' just wheeled hubby's chair to the front of the queue, and they were dealt with straightaway :thumbup: :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

bushman
Tourist

Postby bushman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Thank you all for your very helpfull advice :)

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes wheelchair assistance is like VIP service, When I accompanied my Mum we got from Check in to gate in 5 minutes (including security and passport control!) You go straight to the front at all 3 processes.

Awesome service, but yes, it can be a wait.