auto watering systems

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

auto watering systems

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Has anyone used these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Pro-Po ... o+watering
Are there any alternatives available in the stores in Spain?

Anyone know if the pipes used are standard water pipes so could be changed or extended in future without having to buy Hozelock pipe only?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: auto watering systems

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 pm

They are much cheaper in Spain as everyone uses irrigation systems. The plastic pipes and drip fittings are much cheaper and available everywhere.

Sid

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I can certainly agree with that - I am the worlds worst gardener so have someone in once a fortnight to give me a hand and after showing me how it could be done it's dead simple! The 16mm pipe is very cheap for 25m (or more) the irrigation holes can be made yourself (which I preferred) or you can buy pipe with them already there & the fittings are very cheap

I literally have just got one end attached to the outside tap and the run it everywhere I need, have attached the small sprinkler fittings (I found these great to use instead of just leaving the holes because then the water does reach everywhere you need instead of it all pouring out the first few holes and not reaching the end), then all I do is switch the tap on when I want.

If you want a timer version you can get all that stuff too but I wanted cheap and it is :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 pm

You can get a battery operated timer for about €20 or so (although they only last a couple of years in my experience - maybe longer if in a sheltered position) and then forget all about watering altogether :thumbup: I think you'll find everything you need somewhere like Leroy Merlin.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 pm

that's if you have constant water supply :crazy: I found Bauhaus to be much cheaper with this stuff though a good ferreteria will also have it all

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 pm

A lot will depend on the pressure of your water supply. If it is low then the distance it will travel and still provide enough water from the head could be very short and also vary depending how far each head is from the supply.

We have a dedicated irrigation pump which is more powerful than the pool pump and runs at 6 bar pressure. That can maintain a constant pressure over 100m of supply pipe. I have to say that spotting a leak is pretty easy as you get a jet about 5m high!

You can make a system as simple or as complicated as you like. We have a system with 5 separate supplies controlled by one controller and 5 motorized valves. It can deliver about 3 cubic meters of water in about 30 minutes.

I don't like the drip systems or those with perforated pipes. They just aren't controllable. I use the red topped heads, either inserted into the main pipe or on the end of individual small pipes running from the main pipe and which are individually adjustable from a drip to a small fountain. If they get a lot of cal after some time you can unscrew them and dunk them in Agua Fuerte for a few seconds and they are clean again.

Sid

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

I use the red tops too - inserted straight into the pipe usually unless I need to direct it more individually

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 am

Rats love to make the irrigation holes bigger! One winter they devoured our whole system so worth watching out for them especially if you discover new holes!

Probe

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:33 am

Donz. wrote:I use the red tops too - inserted straight into the pipe usually unless I need to direct it more individually
red topped heads?

Also, re: leaks. The timer controls whether water is let in or not. What happens if the batteries run out during a watering cycle? I guess the water would stay on constantly? Probably unlikely but you never know.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

Dr1Gonzo wrote: red topped heads?

Also, re: leaks. The timer controls whether water is let in or not. What happens if the batteries run out during a watering cycle? I guess the water would stay on constantly? Probably unlikely but you never know.
There are numerous different fittings with different spray patterns. They have differer coloured heads to identify the spray pattern.
If the battery goes flat ten the valve doesn't open so you don't get any water.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

I know that the Gardena units start emitting a bleeping noise when the battery is getting low. The batteries are good for at least 12 months as they tend to use the 9v batteries and the bleeping starts at least a month before they die.

My Galcon controller is mains powered with a battery backup.

Sid

casaalba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby casaalba » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:30 am

I have a TORO automatic mains supplied water system, probably brought from UK, which seems to work whenever it wants then sometimes does not work at all. Anyone know of good irrigation engineers/mechanics or should I revert to a cheaper version of the same. I can buy one in UK for approx £90