Free Spanish classes

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Georgie
Tourist

Free Spanish classes

Postby Georgie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi,

I have heard from a friend who lives near Marbella that all areas of Spain offer free Spanish classes to non-native speakers. Does anyone know anything about this? She says she thinks they're government run. I live in Cordoba city and I have never seen anything like that here. I really want to take some classes asap. I checked the townhall website but can find no information.

I wonder if they only offer this in more expat areas where there is a higher demand for Spanish classes? If anyone knows anything - what the classes are called, who offers them, where I can go for more info (it doesn't have to be specifically Cordoba), that would be a great help.

Thanks.

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: Free Spanish classes

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:35 pm

You need to ask at the Ayuntamiento. They take place in our village with adult education in the afternoons where you sit in with the Spanish who are doing or re doing their graduado. Most the foreigners here (in our village) are Eastern Europeans.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Georgie,
University of Córdoba...........check out if they do courses for the "foreign" students.

Some Adult Education Schools do then for Free.........a lot of Northern/Eastern Europeans take jobs in the cities and towns..........so need to get up to speed with Spanish.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Georgie
Tourist

Postby Georgie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi
Thanks for info.

Enrique - what are the adult education schools called in Spanish so I know what to look for.

Cordoba Uni does run classes but on their website they only offer (expensive) intensive courses or longer courses that still require a commitment of at least 10-20 hours of classes per week. As I work full time thats way too much, I need 2-4 hours a week. I've written to the department several times to ask if they offer less hours but they never reply - maybe its my bad Spanish!

As far as you know do most areas of Andalucia offer free classes?

I will go into the townhall and ask in my best Spanish!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Georgie,

Secretaria del Centro de Educación de Personas Adultas

A particular course my daughter went on........... Español para inmigrantes

She did 140 hrs in the evenings, at 1 or 2hrs twice a week

Something to Google ...........along with above.

Cursos de Español para Extranjeros en Córdoba

PS: I've set you a PM

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi Georgie,

Secretaria del Centro de Educación de Personas Adultas

A particular course my daughter went on........... Español para inmigrantes

She did 140 hrs in the evenings, at 1 or 2hrs twice a week

Something to Google ...........along with above.

Cursos de Español para Extranjeros en Córdoba

PS: I've set you a PM
Our small school in Ayamonte had the words ADULTAS EDUCACION on the front high up on the wall and offered a two year course for immigrants in Spanish. For two years we did 19.30 to 21.00 4 days a week and 13.00 to 14.00 on Friday for three terms and at the end of each term there would be a full day cultural visit to an outstanding place in Andalucía. I think this is quite common in Huelva Province and is provided by the Ayuntamiento so you have to be on the padron. In the other half of the building the Junta Andalucía offered more intensive language courses in modern European Languages for citizens who might need them for work. It was free except for a small charge for the visit circa €15 including coach, lunch and entrance fees.
Last edited by John & Kath on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi Georgie,
"provided by the Ayuntamiento so you have to be on the pardon.

My daughter was registered ......are you :?: ..........access to Library and these classes amongst other things.