Spain to Portugal Toll Fee?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

Spain to Portugal Toll Fee?

Postby telboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Does anyone know whether or not there is a toll for crossing from Spain/Portugal border at the bridge on the A22 Motorway :?: - At the border I cant see any evidence of a toll booth (using Google Maps) along that stretch of road.

I read an article in one of the local rags (dated December 2011) about a toll fee which may be set up by the Portuguese government to get extra funds, 77€ for cars and 127€ for lorries for a 90 day pass was mentioned :wtf: Did this ever come into operation :?:

terry

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: Spain to Portugal Toll Fee?

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Yes there is, its automated card payment, you have to pull in just after the bridge. You can also pay at the first service station you come to.
Cost depends on size of vehicle, where you are going and for how long.

eg: day return to faro airport family car €9.38

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

There are no booths, but there are machines at the info point. It is all done by number plate recognition. There is no charge for crossing the bridge and no charge until after the first exit after that.The toll is only for the motorways. If you go over the bridge then take the first exit onto normal roads and stay on them there is no payment required. We went to Albufeira and back without any charge.
Brian.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 pm

rafiki wrote: It is all done by number plate recognition.
Has that been implemented for cars other than Portuguese registered cars?
When I was there I paid the a fee at the machine over the bridge.
Later I realised I hadn't paid sufficient for the distance I was going.
Tried to pay the difference at a post office but they said they couldn't do it for a foreign registered vehicle,
Emailed the road authority people when I got home but there didn't seem any way to pay for a foreign registered vehicle other than paying the correct fee at the machine in the first place.
Not received a fine for underpaying yet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:54 pm

At least that's how they are supposed to be able to catch you if you don't pay... :|
Brian.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi

When you cross over the bridge, Spain to Portugal, you can use the first two exits without paying. There is also a website you can register at and pay through that

http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservl ... index.html

Davexf

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Cheers for the info :!:

I was enquiring for friends of ours who are taking a two week break on the west coast just south of Lisbon.

The fee must be for using the motorway, since it is possible to leave the road at two exits after the bridge without payment. However, its very unlikely that you'd take any backroads if you were heading for the airport at Faro :!:

terry

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:28 pm

The non-toll N122/N125 roads take you straight to Faro.
Brian.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am

We went across the border back in March and took the exit to the old coast road without stopping at the pay booths. We had checked it was OK to do this.
We only intended going into Portugal at a slow pace and not too far in so it did not seem worth paying for aa motorway we didn't want or need.
Anyone with a motorhome should stop at the beach there by the second exit - 6 euros per day for water, emptying, wifi and 3 hrs electricity.
It is a beautiful site right on the sand dunes before the beach and well loved by fellow motorhomers. Very well run. Wish they had some government run sites like these here. It makes economical sense.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am

We went across the border back in March and took the exit to the old coast road without stopping at the pay booths. We had checked it was OK to do this.
We only intended going into Portugal at a slow pace and not too far in so it did not seem worth paying for aa motorway we didn't want or need.
Anyone with a motorhome should stop at the beach there by the second exit - 6 euros per day for water, emptying, wifi and 3 hrs electricity.
It is a beautiful site right on the sand dunes before the beach and well loved by fellow motorhomers. Very well run. Wish they had some government run sites like these here. It makes economical sense.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am

Is that Camping Monte Gordo?
Brian.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:34 pm

..you turn off at castro marim I think it is called and go to the seaside town of vila real de san antonio - it is not a campsite - simply a stop over "aire" for motorhomers

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 pm

anis wrote:..you turn off at castro marim I think it is called and go to the seaside town of vila real de san antonio - it is not a campsite - simply a stop over "aire" for motorhomers
Found it. Thanks.
Brian.