Pink Water

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pink Water

Postby caboodles » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Has anyone experienced pink water coming out of their taps? Our water is a very pale pink colour. I have googled and searched on here but apart from pigs blood or potassium permanganate, there's not much info about it. Thanks

fyfin
Resident

Re: Pink Water

Postby fyfin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 am

I suppose you have checked to see if others are getting the same. I think you are on the right lines with Potassium permanganate though as it used to purify water, I think to remove iron or other impurities but if you use too much you get a pink tinge to the water. Some interesting stuff here, looks like it can cure anything! :lol:
http://voices.yahoo.com/potassium-perma ... 11764.html
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 am

There are some strains of bacteria that can turn tap water pink
http://www.zandair.com/library/Pink-Bacteria/

Do you have a water purifier, reverse osmosis system or any sort of filtration? If might be time to give them a clean :thumbup:

caboodles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caboodles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks for the responses. The water is still slightly pink today, we emptied our tank and filled it again. We are in a strange position as we are renting short term and our landlord is away on honeymoon. I think the water comes in by a pump from a well which I have been told is town water and we that´s why I thought I´d post on here as it may be a common thing. We have no nearby neighbours. Thanks again.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I still think it's what they are using to purify the water and they've overdone it with the potassium permanganate.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 am

"For water purification, its use is fairly straight forward. First, if there is any sediment in the water, strain it out. Then add 3 – 4 crystals per liter of water. Stir or shake for a few seconds then let sit for 2 hours. The water should be a light pink (a concentration of 1:10,000) – no darker. Here are some proportions for killing the different nasty organisms that can find their way into water: Bacteria requires a minimum of 2.5mg per liter of water. Viruses require a minimum of 50mg (close to danger levels) per liter. Potassium permanganate can become toxic in high concentrations, just like anything. The lowest recorded instance of a person being poisoned was 100mg per kilogram of body weight. That being said, the LD50 scale for Potassium permanganate is 1900mg per kilogram of body weight. Just remember, as long as it is pink – it’s probably ok to drink. - See more at: http://www.intherabbithole.com/potassiu ... 8zXwK.dpuf"
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.