Horse and Carriage Fair Velez Malaga?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jukim
Resident

Horse and Carriage Fair Velez Malaga?

Postby jukim » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:46 pm

This time last year we came across (qutie by accident) a horse and carriage (?) far in a temporary bull ring near the Eroski centre. It was lovely to see all the various categories and teams of horses and wanted to go again this year - does anyone know when it is?

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Horse and Carriage Fair Velez Malaga?

Postby Free at Last » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:42 pm

I fear you may have missed it - there was one on the final day (Sunday) of the Real Feria de San Miguel, held over the last weekend of September.

If I see another one advertised I will post details of it, some years there has been one on Andalucia Day which of course isn't until 28 February.

I got a place in one of the carriages on the Friday evening of the San Miguel Feria this year, courtesy of a neighbour's grandson who I help out with support with his English studies. It was surprisingly comfortable!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:51 am

Looks like a feria is being prepared right now as we speak!

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks. I would appreciate any info as I loved it last year. :thumbup:

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Anyone know when this is this year? :wave:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm

The one they have built, right by the Autovia seems to be 24 to 29 Sept. Big one last year, or seemed it when I drove past.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:00 pm

:thumbup:

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Lithe real Feria de San Miguel is starting tomorrow. In Velez until 7.00 then down to the fairground next to Eroski after that. It is on for three days. The Romeria is next year.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks…is the horse thing only every other year then?

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm

The Romeria is every year but not sure when someone from Velez must know. I do know that the Romeria in Perriana was on the Sunday after the Feria.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:15 pm

There are equestrian events including a horse and carriage display on this weekend, as part of the Real Feria de San Miguel in Velez. You can see the programme here:-
http://www.velezmalaga.es/contenido/dat ... L-2014.pdf

The horses and carriages are at 16.30 on Sunday afternoon.

However, the usual venue has changed this year, and they won't be at the Feria Ground on the main road near Eroski. They will be in Calle Doctor Laureano Casquero next to the Vivar Tellez football stadium (which, confusingly, is nowhere near Av. Vivar Tellez! If you're driving into Velez from the Trapiche direction, it´s one block back from the Parque de Andalucia (the tree-lined walkway with the huge trees at both ends), off to the left.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 am

jukim wrote:This time last year we came across (qutie by accident) a horse and carriage (?) far in a temporary bull ring near the Eroski centre. It was lovely to see all the various categories and teams of horses and wanted to go again this year - does anyone know when it is?
Sorry about the short notice, but have just seen a poster in the town centre advertising another of these events, which is taking place tomorrow (Saturday 25th October) at the feria ground near Eroski.

The carriage driving events start at 11.00 am and later on in the afternoon there is an equestrian display starting at 4.30pm.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks very much… we shall be there :thumbup:

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Just like to add that it was just as enjoyable as we remembered. So sad that they don't get more publicity on the expat sites. :thumbup:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 pm

I would suggest that people would get far more out of Spain if they read Spanish newspapers like Sur (not the "in English" one, the daily) and called in at their Ayuntamiento and looked at any notice boards there. It need not cost, as most good bars have a paper or two for customers to read free.
I am amazed at how little most folk seem to know about what goes on where they live - for example, friends of ours have lived in the Axarquia for over fifteen years, in the same house on the edge of a village. This year the Dia de Mayores was hosted by their village, and when asked if they were going they knew nothing about it. On our urging, they signed up for it at the Ayuntamiento, and at the end of yesterday thanked us for 'inviting' them - there was a guided tour of Alcaucin, with arts and crafts displays, a free goody bag for each person with a light breakfast in, a printed T-shirt, little hand-painted wall plaque and a couple of leaflets. During the wander round, a brass band and two Pandas entertained the crowds. At 2ish all 2000+ mayores - yes 2000 from the 19 villages of the Axarquia - sat down to a sumptious meal of paella, salad, pinchos with barbequed vegetables, merluza with gambas, a pudding and a bread roll, washed down with a choice of wine, beer or soft drinks. During the meal there was high-class entertainment from a very good group of pretty dancers and singers, some childrens' dance groups, and an incomprehensible comedy sketch (the language barrier here!).
The whole day was organised really well, with Guardia Civil, Civil Proteccion, local police and volunteers controlling the 30+ coaches bringing all the non-locals, and ferrying them down from the main village to the food site.
The cost? For us it was totally free, other municipalities charging perhaps 10€ a head, and that included the coach! Our friends did not know what Verdiales is, or what a Panda is, and although very gregarious people who are good company, knew very few of their fellow villagers (except they were astonished to see their bank manager playing the guitar in one Panda!). We chose to travel on the bus with our local neighbours, and not only knew most of them at least by sight and name were welcomed by them. Our mayor came over before the meal to say hello, with his son deputed to keep an eye on proceedings.
Next year it will be in Alfarnate...be there or be square! Lol
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:55 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I would suggest that people would get far more out of Spain if they read Spanish newspapers like Sur (not the "in English" one, the daily) and called in at their Ayuntamiento and looked at any notice boards there.
I read the local Spanish papers, and check the Ayuntamiento and other local websites regularly, and still don't get to find out everything that is going on. We've just been treated to a quite spectacular fireworks display, lasting almost half an hour, from the Fortaleza on the hill behind our house, and knew nothing about it being scheduled until the noise started! I've checked the Ayuntamiento Noticias and the only thing it could possibly be connected with is the opening ceremony for the new gardens which have been built on the hill below the Ermita, but in the whole news release there is not one word about fireworks.

I don't know how well other towns do in this respect, but publicity for any kind of event here is always on the last minute and not very forthcoming with details, either. It's often more by good luck or happenstance that we get to know about things, rather than anything else.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 pm

We heard the fireworks as well.We knew nothing about it. Regarding the remarks of the previous post we are not all in the position of being able to speak and read the papers and notices. I fortunately speak fluent Spanish but know people who try, but find it very hard. A little assistance from the Town Hall would be appreciated. Many places have foreigners departments, which I think would be quite helpful.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:14 am

By far the best news and information network is the village grapevine...these days powered by smartphones it seems supremely efficient. The user manual for access has one line - "talk to your neighbours".
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:32 am

Funnily enough, information about the fireworks last night seemed to have passed my neighbours by too. :lol: They were all coming out of their houses to see what the noise was about (plus grumbling about their dogs being terrified by the fireworks and what they saw as so much money going up in smoke whilst so many people are unemployed and struggling to get by).

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Free at last, good place to look for information is Facebook under Ayuntamiento de Velez Malaga. Tells you what and where.