FERRY SERVICES

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

FERRY SERVICES

Postby brimsham » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:22 am

Notice that LD Lines have started a Santander to Poole service. I checked a similar journey with Brittany Ferries and it was about £200 cheaper, although the ferry itself doesn't look as good.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: FERRY SERVICES

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:28 am

Hi brimsham,

"although the ferry itself doesn't look as good."...........in what way :?:

Would be good if someone could compare , don't see Pets mentioned on a first pass on the info.

I use the Brittany Ferries regularly Portsmouth to Santander and would recommend them.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 am

It's certainly smaller and would suffer more from bad weather and also not so luxurious. There again it's only for about 24 hours. I guess to try it is the only real way to assess it.

Ray

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:18 am

Its says pet not allowed on that route, would of been nice to of had another option though.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 am

Last years BF strike caused us to seek out alternatives and as a consequence we used LD Lines Portsmouth/Le Harve overland to St Nazaire/Gijon. The St Nazaire leg was on the same boat to be used on the new route Poole/Santander.

We normally had used BF Portsmouth/Santander or Bilbao depending on the boat taking 23/24 hrs for the crossing. We prefer the Cap to the Pont but both boats are very large with lots of facilities. We normally have a 2 berth ouside cabin. On LD LINES the boat was smaller but the 2 berth outside cabin was slightly larger with a wider bed which was good. The linen and bathroom was immaculately clean same as BF. But facilities beyond the cabin were fewer just one cafe but the range of food looked good. We were on for 12 hrs overnight so just had a breakfast. She has been crossing the Bay of Biscay 4/5 times a week for a few years so she must be a reasonable sea keeper but my guess would be not as good as the Cap which we think is better than the Pont and you will take 25 hrs for the crossing.

If the price difference stays at circa £200 it has to be considered and of course will keep BF on their toes with regard to prices and service.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Just done a quick "hypothetical" quote for BF and LDL for return journey in November.

2 adults and motorbike and, right enough, LDL are £200 cheaper.

Worth bearing in mind for future reference, I've made the quoted journey several times.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Doing a research booking .same day , car MPV and 2 people Brittany Ferries £56 more than LD Lines.

Brittany Ferries have the edge as they carry Pets........ at a price........ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:09 am

Latest update LD Lines are now doing Poole to Santander with new services added next year Poole to Gijon and Rosslaire to St Nazaire which could be teamed with St Nazaire to Gijon to give a connection from Ireland to Spain.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/