House Insurance

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

House Insurance

Postby Terryd1963 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 am

Hi Guys,

Anybody know of a good company to insure our property and contents? Any help appreciated.

Cheers Terry

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: House Insurance

Postby Julie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 am

I have recently renewed my car insurance with linea directa they offered me free house insurance as a bonus, I know that doesn't help you :( bt anyone insured with them might wrangle the same deal.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:34 am

Same here, car and home insurance with Linea Directa. Impressed by their service on the motor policy, whether their home insurance is the best only time will tell but at least the policy is in English.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 pm

We have been insured with Allianz for several years and have found their service excellent. The two claims we have made have been dealt with swiftly, efficiently and paid in full - in fact when we claimed following a break-in we were paid €60 more than the amount of the claim (it's their policy to make an ex gratia payment for burglary claims under a certain amount to cover minor expenses such as phone calls, faxes etc, probably to try to discourage people from making fraudulently inflated claims for things they never had in the first place!). They didn't ask for receipts for the stolen articles either, just a list with replacement values.

The policy is in Spanish but you can ring their 24 hour claims free phone number and ask to speak to someone in English.

Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Terryd1963 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Thank you all for the replies

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Todos somos Lorca.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 pm

We are with Linea Directa but I suspect if we have a burglary claim we would have problems.
When we took the policy out we were asked if we had bars on our windows. We said we had decorative bars on a few front windows but they were not for security. That appeared to be sufficient.
We have friends who had their house flooded. The claim was turned down by Linea Directa on the basis that it had not rained enough.
They are great for car insurance but not so good for house.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:We are with Linea Directa but I suspect if we have a burglary claim we would have problems.
When we took the policy out we were asked if we had bars on our windows. We said we had decorative bars on a few front windows but they were not for security.
I was with Linea Directa for house insurance.
I had rejas on all windows but no burglar alarm.
When I was burgled it wasn't covered as I didn't have a burglar alarm fitted. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:37 pm

I am with Vitalico. When I made a claim they just sent workman round, no money changed hands.

Had a very bad experience with Ibex.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:03 am

I'm with AXA (on Beachcomber's recommendation) and they paid out on a claim made just after the policy started. The premiums haven't gone up since I first took it out 3 years ago. When I looked at Linea Directa some time ago, they didn't insure anything outside, including swimming pools
AlisonB

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:41 am

Anecdotally, neighbours with wind damage the same as mine were refused their claim with LD "not high enough wind speed", the first time my insurers sent chaps, then last year just asked for an estimate, paid in full.
Liberty Securos.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am

I second Liberty Seguros. They have insured us despite the fact we do not have rejas and live in the campo.

When we made a claim for a crack in the toilet bowl (it was like that when we bought the house), they quickly sent out a man to look at it. The toilet was a very expensive Italian make and it had to be "flown in from Italy" according to the man who fitted it, but my premium did not go up the following year and there was no excess to pay. I like the fact that I know the girls in the Nerja office and I can contact them easily by phone or email if I have any problems or questions.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Wicksey wrote:I second Liberty Seguros. They have insured us despite the fact we do not have rejas and live in the campo.

When we made a claim for a crack in the toilet bowl (it was like that when we bought the house), they quickly sent out a man to look at it. The toilet was a very expensive Italian make and it had to be "flown in from Italy" according to the man who fitted it, but my premium did not go up the following year and there was no excess to pay. I like the fact that I know the girls in the Nerja office and I can contact them easily by phone or email if I have any problems or questions.
Strange you should say that, our second claim with Allianz was for a similar thing - a large crack suddenly appeared on a toilet cistern resulting in a leak. I had no idea how it happened but the claims advisor said it was quite common, caused apparently (and the plumber they sent said the same thing) by a sudden change in temperature. Allianz likewise sent someone to look at it straight away (ours was also an expensive make, from Portugal), rang me the next day to say it had been ordered and advised how long it would take to arrive, then the plumber phoned to make an appointment to come and fit it. After it was done Allianz rang to check it was completed to our satisfaction. Like yourself, there was no excess to pay, and I like the convenience of them sending someone to do whatever is necessary rather than us having to get quotes, etc.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Free at Last wrote:[ Allianz likewise sent someone to look at it straight away (ours was also an expensive make, from Portugal), rang me the next day to say it had been ordered and advised how long it would take to arrive, then the plumber phoned to make an appointment to come and fit it. After it was done Allianz rang to check it was completed to our satisfaction. Like yourself, there was no excess to pay, and I like the convenience of them sending someone to do whatever is necessary rather than us having to get quotes, etc.
That is great idea not having to get quotes. I have insured with John Lewis (250 excess) . After a tree fall it was a problem even getting anyone to look at the roof. I don't think it sounded a big enough job for them (7 tiles) :thumbdown: They did say that we could spend up to £500 without them seeing it, just send photos of damage.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 pm

LD are trying to get us to renew our house insurance with them, I think I will give them a miss, I have yet to read anything positive about claiming from them.
:thumbdown:

David Stuart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Stuart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Our holiday home was insured with Staysure although we have never needed to claim. Currently we have the free 1 year offer from LD. I think we will go back to Staysure having read these posts. has anyone any experience of claiming through Staysure ?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

No but we recently had a leak repaired via Allianz. A phone call to them resulted in plumbers visiting - OK they had to come 3 times before they found and repaired the leak but it was tricky to find and then Allianz arranged for a painter to come and he did an excellent job on the kitchen ceiling and another room that had had water damage. 3 months later and all is still good. First class service from Allianz :thumbup: