Septic tank smell

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
barry
Resident

Re: Septic tank smell

Postby barry » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am

To create a trap in 150/200 sewage pipe, take four right angle bends and glue together in appropriate manner, then cut pipe and replace section with the 'siphon'.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:47 pm

4 x 45º bends are better as the angle is not so acute & less likely to block.
Most people who have done this around here have actually installed it on the end of the pipe in the pozo. Easier to clear if it does ever block .
If you are going to install it in the pipe to the septic tank then immediately before it also install a screw capped 'Y' piece so you can at least get rods in to clear it if it blocks.
Todos somos Lorca.

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:03 pm

As far as I could find out the whole house traps / u bends are not supposed to be installed under code unless Spain is different? However, I suppose I have no choice here as no one can find the source of the air leak.
Does anyone have a picture of their u bend just before the septic so I can see what they look like and how big the u bend is?
Thanks

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Anyone got any pictures of their u bend before the septic tank?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Is this what you mean? It goes straight to the tank.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:34 pm

A couple of know-all Brits round here installed a u-bend on the vent pipe, thinking (probably correctly) that the smell was wafting out of it as it vented. The bottom run was then filled with water to make a trap.
Two problems: the water soon evaporates in the summer heat so needs topping up; and when a dose of effluent is added to the tank (toilet flush, washing machine pumps out, shower...) the gas that has been trapped and concentrated is forced out in a great gout, wafting the stench wherever the wind takes it!
There should be siphons on all the drain points in the house, so if there are smells they could come from outside. Too many fosa septicas seem to be inadequate, or simply sited too near the dwelling.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 pm

We have individual traps as well, so this was the "belt and braces" approach. We had some smells getting into the spare bathroom, which is rarely used so it may have been a dry trap problem. This monster u-bend solved it OK.

Sid

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 pm

El Cid wrote:Is this what you mean? It goes straight to the tank.

Sid

Something like that would work I think.
Problem is the pipe seems to be 125mm grey and I can only find 110mm plus fittings in Aki
Any ideas where I might buy 125mm?
Does 125 even get used much? Seems non standard.

Every drain in the house has a p trap so either the roof vent is not high enough - it is level with roof rather than extending a few ft beyond it or there is a vent open in the wall cavities. Only a drain camera could discover why.

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 pm

Or even a 125 110 reducer maybe

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:53 pm

that looks like a good idea. I was thinking of doing that in our rented place, theres sometimes a smell from the pozo, i was trying to think of a way to do it, its on a 20 degree angle down from the house, but its only about 10m from the bathroom window so the smell is prbably coming directly from the tank itself ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.