Britain Leaving EEC - discuss!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Unicorn
Resident

Britain Leaving EEC - discuss!

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 am

On a rather dull and cloudy day I am musing as to what would happen to us in Spain should Britain vote to leave the EEC in 2017, given the happenings in The Lords today.
What would happen to our residency? We presumably would not have reciprocal healthcare and would not have unrestricted travel over the various EEC borders.
I remember living in Paris years ago and had to pop in to the local police regularly and in Milan we certainly had to be in contact with the Consulate, both pre Britian's membership.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Britain Leaving EEC - discuss!

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Even if they left the EU they would probably stay in the EEA or negotiate a special deal like Switzerland did so it probably won't affect us at all.

Our healthcare as residents is paid for directly by the UK so it is not strictly a reciprocal agreement so there is no reason why it would not continue.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 pm

That is interesting. Whereas I think pensioners and non residents' healthcare is paid for by Britain, I fall into the cohort of longterm fiscal residents, not pensioners, who now qualify for Spanish healthcare and thought that was covered by Spain. Particularly as they will only give me a piece of paper and only a maximum of 12 weeks if I go to UK and need healthcare. I'm not really worried who pays it but thought that as it was reliant upon my fiscal record here it would have been Spain.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:23 pm

What if Scotland left the UK and weren't in the EU? I wouldn't want to go through all the hoops I went through regarding residencia, health care, car licence etc.
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Look on the bright side, we'd get the old 'tarjeta' back as Non-eu. :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Mowser wrote:What if Scotland left the UK and weren't in the EU? I wouldn't want to go through all the hoops I went through regarding residencia, health care, car licence etc.
Don't worry about that one. It won't happen.

The Scots are you will remember, canny, and know on which side their toast is buttered !

anyroads

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:25 pm

anyroads wrote:
Mowser wrote:What if Scotland left the UK and weren't in the EU? I wouldn't want to go through all the hoops I went through regarding residencia, health care, car licence etc.
Don't worry about that one. It won't happen.

The Scots are you will remember, canny, and know on which side their toast is buttered !

anyroads
On second thoughts, that should be "bread" not "toast". They do not go in for fancy cooking in Scotland !

anyroads
Last edited by anyroads on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:41 pm

They they not go in for fancy cooking
Unless it's a word salad?
Dave

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Mowser wrote:
They they not go in for fancy cooking
Unless it's a word salad?
What ?. Salad in Scotland ?.

Not unless it is wrapped around a "mars bar" and deep fried !

anyroads

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:18 pm

It's the Scottish Mediterranean diet.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Mowser wrote:It's the Scottish Mediterranean diet.
You mean a Mars Bar deep fried in Virgin Olive Oil with tomato sauce.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

El Cid wrote:
You mean a Mars Bar deep fried in Virgin Olive Oil with tomato sauce.

Sid
Did you forget the garlic?
Brian.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Anyway, Mowser, of course I don't mean it.
However, sometimes I laugh out loud at some of my postings ( someone has to ) and this was one of those times.

A belated Happy Hogmanay.

anyroads

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

... and all the best to you and yours.Image
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

Going back to the OS, Has there ever been a time when foreigners haven't been able to settle in Spain as long as they have been able to support themselves financially, even before 1990.
The main difference is being able to work here.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am

The subject of this thread has been thoroughly discussed before which might be why there are so few posts on an otherwise 'hot' topic.

I can't see the UK leaving the EU because the politicos don't support that idea. We've recently had ex-Labour politicians announcing that the public should not have a say in the 'in or out' debate as they (the public) would get the answer wrong. Of course, the person who said that is now, along with his wife, an EU Comissioner. The Tories seem to be sabre-rattling and there's talk of reorganising the EU. We'll see. Some sort of reform, a lessening of decision-making by unelected person (not that decision-making by ELECTED persons is that clever), a scrapping of certain rules and regulations and rights etc. might appease voters and prevent wholesale demands to leave the EU. Maybe.

My money is on what happens to the German economy in the next few years. Germany funds a great deal but also has a great deal of say. Once Germany become disenchanted with the EU we may see some changes. The UK is not sufficiently heavy-weight in the EU to push much ACTUAL reform but they could find a future ally in German. Now that would be a novel idea in the centenary year of WWI, wouldn't it?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 pm

The Germans , politicians anyway, won't get disenchanted as they are on course to have everyone dancing to the tune they call. Once you have the others indebted to you ,you have control.
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Lavanda wrote:The subject of this thread has been thoroughly discussed before which might be why there are so few posts on an otherwise 'hot' topic.

I can't see the UK leaving the EU because the politicos don't support that idea. We've recently had ex-Labour politicians announcing that the public should not have a say in the 'in or out' debate as they (the public) would get the answer wrong. Of course, the person who said that is now, along with his wife, an EU Comissioner. The Tories seem to be sabre-rattling and there's talk of reorganising the EU. We'll see. Some sort of reform, a lessening of decision-making by unelected person (not that decision-making by ELECTED persons is that clever), a scrapping of certain rules and regulations and rights etc. might appease voters and prevent wholesale demands to leave the EU. Maybe.

My money is on what happens to the German economy in the next few years. Germany funds a great deal but also has a great deal of say. Once Germany become disenchanted with the EU we may see some changes. The UK is not sufficiently heavy-weight in the EU to push much ACTUAL reform but they could find a future ally in German. Now that would be a novel idea in the centenary year of WWI, wouldn't it?
Good post lavanda. I didn't bother to post because yes we have had lots of similar threads. Also the title is a bit of a turn off..."discuss" :roll:

I agree with what you say and so many of our leaders are on the gravy train I don't think there is a will to upset the status quo. Brussels is a graveyard for failed politicians. We ought not to need referenda if the people who are supposed to represent us actually listened.to what is being said. I feel uneasy that so many don't even know who their MP is (or even the PM) let alone decide an important thing like the EU.

i cannot see any benefit for the UK in the EU, we are a payer and a receiver of people.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Just seen a Yougov poll for the European elections.
Labour: 32%
UKIP: 26%
Conservative: 23%
Dave

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 pm

"Brussels is a graveyard for failed politicians"

Surely you mean gravy train, katy ?

As a card carrying member of the "blue party", I despair that Labour could set back the UK for years to come.

anyroads