Joint bank account

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Joint bank account

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Very true. What Bunty said was:

"Manager asked why I wanted to do this and I said I was worried about joint account being frozen on death of husband."

I'd get a new bank manager along with the new bank.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm

In the UK we always had separate accounts, even different banks, but in Spain we had a joint account for paying the expenses, bills, direct debits, etc. on our holiday home. My husband died almost two years ago. I just took a copy of his death certifcate into the bank and there have been no problems since.
Sandramay

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Changing your bank manager and bank just because the manager asks why you want to open a new account in your own name sounds a bit drastic.
Possibly shooting the guy there and then on the spot for asking the question might be more appropriate.
At least that way you will be able to see if his wife later manages to withdraw all the funds he had in their joint account and based on that then make a decision on what to do with your own joint account.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm going to like your posts, eazbak.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Don't tell the bank they've died. :lol:

We have a joint account . We also have individual accounts on which the other is a signatory. I.E. Either can clear the others account to somewhere else when required.
This was the bank managers advice. Additionally with internet access you haven't even got to go anywhere near the bank.
I've always worked on the premise that it is far better for me to have it & them to ask for some than them to have control & take forever to allow me access to my own money.
Todos somos Lorca.