New survey finds expats are miserable

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Free at Last
Resident

Re: New survey finds expats are miserable

Postby Free at Last » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:05 am

katy wrote:Makes sense to me. A lot more sense than posts that the Brits are returning when stats show around 90,000 have left. Of course, You lot make it up as you go along, "a bloke who works in xxxx told me blah blah "

Perhaps the ones returning are the ones who haven't managed to sell, which is most of them :cry:
The reports published this week said 90,000 had been removed from the padron, which as you well know does not actually mean that 90,000 Britons left Spain in a single year. Ayuntamientos all over Spain have been contacting people whose padron details hadn't changed for 5 years or more and asking them to reconfirm their registration (my OH and I both had letters asking us to do this), and if they didn't respond within a certain timescale they would be deregistered. Therefore, these 90,000 could have left at any time during the last 5 years, not in 2013 alone.

Ask yourself, if so many left all at once, why has the number of British pensioners having their State Pension paid in Spain not also fallen sharply, why is IDS so exercised about the increasing number of Brits receiving the WFA in Spain, and why the reports only this week that the UK is now paying £230M per year to Spain in healthcare costs for its citizens who live here?

And has it not been common knowledge for many years that many foreigners (not just the British) neither sign on the padron nor the register of foreigners when they come to live here?

I believe quite a few people have left since the recession began- affected by the fall in the value of sterling, worried about property prices, those of working age couldn't find jobs, plus all the reasons which have always led to a certain proportion going back like ill health and missing their families. They might or might not add up to 90,000 in total, but I simply don't believe they represent one in four of all British expats in Spain as claimed in the media this week.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:17 am

Funny how you believe Spanish stats when it's good news but spend time running a hole through them when they don't suit :lol: actually I think the figure is probably wrong, Spanish stats usually are...did you see the news yesterday that they have been fiddling Er. understating the unemployment figures. Although one happy clapper reckons the unemployment rate is only about 10% because of people working illegally....still, if it makes him happy to believe it :D

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

katy wrote:Funny how you believe Spanish stats when it's good news but spend time running a hole through them when they don't suit :lol: actually I think the figure is probably wrong, Spanish stats usually are...did you see the news yesterday that they have been fiddling Er. understating the unemployment figures. Although one happy clapper reckons the unemployment rate is only about 10% because of people working illegally....still, if it makes him happy to believe it :D
What the Spanish stats said was that 90,000 British people's details had been removed from the padron in a single year -probably quite true for the reasons outlined above. It is the way that the figure has been interpreted in the media which is wrong.

The Spanish Government has no monopoly on "massaging" or understating unemployment figures, does it (which is not to say, please note, that they're not guilty of it).

By the way, how does one "run a hole"? It's not an expression I'm familiar with.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Any figure above 1 can be massaged and interpreted any way anyone chooses....simple fact of life. Spain does not have a monopoly on this...you only have to look at the recent crime figures in the U.K!!
Anyway have much more pressing things to do rather than witter on and on about the "Padron" like getting on and enjoying the great weather and food.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm

No matter what the pessimists say Spain is in a really dire position employment wise.
The residents here ,who I guess the majority don't have to work ,will "up the country" because all in their garden is rosy.
Try making a living in Spain,get real, and see how long it is before you go back to Blighty.

As pointed out,I should have said "optimists"
Last edited by Nimrod on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Nimrod wrote:No matter what the pessimists say Spain is in a really dire position employment wise.
The residents here ,who I guess the majority don't have to work ,will "up the country" because all in their garden is rosy.
Try making a living in Spain,get real, and see how long it is before you go back to Blighty.
The pessimists WOULD say that Spain is in a really dire position employent wise, wouldn't they (being pessimists and all)? :lol:

I don't want or need to have to make a living in Spain. I would never have come here if I did (and I arrived well before the recession started), and have never, ever advised anybody who does need to find work here to make the move. Even in 2003 when we first bought our house it was obvious that most people of working age trying to support themselves here were struggling, and it's only got worse in that respect.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Well said that person(FAL)!!!
Spain has/was never ever known for its great career opportunities, just a great place to live if your personal circumstances allowed.

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:12 pm

As an expat all this negativity is starting to makie me feel miserable,one more to add to the statistics in the survey !

Alcalaina
Tourist

Postby Alcalaina » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Miro wrote:Brits who migrate to Costa del Sol more unhappy than those who stay at home - that's the headline of an article in the Independent http://tinyurl.com/lsjbkyu which publishes the findings of an "academic" study. I have carried out my own academic research (by reading some of the article) and found that the author of the survey, a Dr David Bartram of the University of Leicester, is an idiot.
He's a sociologist - say no more. :crazy:

Did you also notice that the survey respondents in northern Europe averaged 7.5 out of 10 on the happiness scale, while the handful of expats on the Med averaged 7.3? That's not exactly a significant difference! Actually when you give these 1-to-10 scales to anyone, anywhere in the world, they always average out about the same - between 7 and 7.5.

Have a happy day everyone, the sun is shining and the birds are singing! :wave:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Well I'm miserable, miserable before, miserable now. Jack Dee is my hero. :wink:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 am

In today's Daily Telegraph - 'Our €250,000 Spanish villa sold for just €87,000' -

http://tinyurl.com/m9krkkc

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Send us 4 quid and I'll subscribe. :evil:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 pm

I wonder how much they spent doing the survey..they could have saved a lot by just looking at the comments of some of the grumpy old sods on this forum!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:50 pm

"Grumpy old sods" - do you really need to be so obnoxious? :(

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 am

What is obnoxious about my post? Some of the members here are self confessed grumpy old sods..and very proud of it too so it seems .
A grumpy old sod is a grumpy old sod...perhaps you don't like calling a spade a spade and would prefer the term " an unhappy gentleman"..but he is still a grumpy old sod as much as you try to disguise it.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 am

If you really don't understand what is obnoxious about calling people "grumpy old sods" because you don't like their opinions, then I guess that says a lot about you! Far from being forthright it's downright rude and not clever. :crazy:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:19 am

My Grandchildren call me "Grumps"!
I think it's rather sweet.
I am a Grumpy old S.O.B, don't care who knows it, but, I'm very happy with my lot, my wife loves me and we are exceptionally content living in Glorious Sunny Southern Spain...warts and all. (Sorry British media...no story here!) :thumbup:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 am

masterob wrote:If you really don't understand what is obnoxious about calling people "grumpy old sods" because you don't like their opinions, then I guess that says a lot about you! Far from being forthright it's downright rude and not clever. :crazy:
I kind of got that feeling to.Not everything in Spain is perfect :thumbdown: and if we moan about it then we are perfectly entitled to without being labelled .
If eazbak ,and I guess there's a clue in the name ,wants to let all the shoddy service,maladministration,
corruption,queues etc wash over him then good luck mate but to tar us with the GOS brush is out of order.
But I don't really give a stuff what he thinks.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 am

Alcalaina wrote:
Have a happy day everyone, the sun is shining and the birds are singing! :wave:
Well they were happily chirping away inside Seville Airport on Saturday, although a bird was not to be seen !

anyroads