Campo house and contents insurance

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Campo house and contents insurance

Postby olive » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 am

I have just negotiated these with Linea Directa.

Ploughing through the paperwork which has just arrived I have come across the following which I think negates ours and perhaps many others in a rural situation.

"that the home is located in a built up area or less than one kilometre away from the same.The term built up area will refer to a developed area that is supplied with each and every public service for water,light, sewage and telephone services."

I was only asked how far away is the nearest house?

Our built up area is less than a km away, has its own village water company, has electric, no copper phone service and no mains sewage for any of the sixty properties.

So it looks as though it is pointless going ahead as they will always have get out clauses.

What do other folk do in similar rural locations please?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Campo house and contents insurance

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:38 am

olive wrote:
What do other folk do in similar rural locations please?
Not meant to be a daft answer but don't insure with Linea Directa.
Get a quote from Allianz or Mapfre and read their T&Cs
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:45 am

I recently spoke to LD about their terms and conditions and they made it quite clear that the 1km restriction applied.

If they did not make that clear to you then you should be able to cancel the policy.

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 am

gerryh wrote:What do other folk do in similar rural locations please
I insure with Adam Rutter at Secure Solutions in Nerja. The policy is underwritten by Lloyds, Ibex. Very reasonable. covers house, contents, garden and trees. I am in the campo. If you want more details msg me.
Sandramay

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bigal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm

I had the self-same problem with LD a couple of years ago and I refused to sign the agreement until they sent me a letter confirming that my property would be fully covered despite not conforming to the strict letter of their contract. Took several conversations with different people but I got it in the end, signed by one of their Directors.

Time will tell if they will stick by it in the event of a claim or whether they will wriggle their way out as so many insurance companies do.

Best of luck!

Alan
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Sandramay wrote:
gerryh wrote:What do other folk do in similar rural locations please
I insure with Adam Rutter at Secure Solutions in Nerja. The policy is underwritten by Lloyds, Ibex. Very reasonable. covers house, contents, garden and trees. I am in the campo. If you want more details msg me.
Does it cover you if left unoccupied for long periods? Many policies have this exclusion.

Incidentally, Adam could not find any company who would cover me except the existing one which had got far too expensive. Even if they decide you have inadequate security and they won't pay out for that they would still cover the house against all the other risks.

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Yes Sid, we made it clear it was a holiday home, but not rented out.
Sandramay

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:19 pm

Though we were insured through Linea Directa we knew that technically we was never insured. We live in a rural area but don't like bars or any form of security. You could fall into our house.
However, we decided to get insurance this year with a company who fully appreciated our requirements. Unfortunately I can't remember who they are but if anyone is interested I'll post it.
However, when we gave notice to Linea Directa (sorry I cannot use shortenings), they tried to persuade us that we would be covered but would not give us confirmation in writing that even though we were outside there conditions, we were fully covered.

axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby axarquian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:39 pm

I am also in the campo and have insurance with Helvetia through the brokers Abbeygate. Helvetia do not require any specific security requirements. I have queried this each time I have renewed the policy and am assured that I am fully covered......... anyone out there claimed under a Helvetia policy ?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:23 pm

Interesting replies. Thanks.

they made it quite clear that the 1km restriction applied.

If they did not make that clear to you then you should be able to cancel the policy.
That was actually the only point they did clarify. And of course we are within one km. Having had a bad experience with Helvetia on a claim, I do not really want to insure with LD with them able to wriggle out if we had a claim. I would be better off continuing to insure myself.

So Monday I can talk to LD and get confirmation that cover is actually going to be there OR cancel and contact a different insurer OR just not bother with insurance.

atg1952. Could you pm me or post details of your insurer please?

Our poor experience with Helvetia was damage caused by inundation of water. Locally we had over 4 inches of rain in less than 20 minutes. I could actually see clear skies over the nearest (insurers) weather station. Of course their official figure was paltry for rainfall. After much complaining(with my Brit hat on) I had a meeting with an insurance manager from their Seville office at the local brokers premises. She said they would , as a gesture of goodwill, pay us 400 euros on the understanding that we renewed our insurance(400 euros worth). We agreed. The next day an assessor visited and agreed it must have been a lot of floodwater. He also observed that the "house was undergoing renovation" and therefore wasn't insured! Moot point as it was cosmetic and not anything like a new roof. However it is indicative that you need to tell them if you are doing any renovations or repairs.

As far as security is concerned, LD ask if you have rejas. If not or partial, do the windows without rejas have internal shutters that cannot be opened from outside.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm

olive wrote:
As far as security is concerned, LD ask if you have rejas. If not or partial, do the windows without rejas have internal shutters that cannot be opened from outside.
That is true, without rejas or equivalent security, they will not cover you. Most companies are the same.

They accepted me as we have high walls around the property and a connected alarm system including perimeter sensors and cameras. Without that there would have been a problem.

It's very important to discuss security in detail with any company and get confirmation that they accept exactly what you have.

Sid

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:04 pm

We are insured via our bank…Solbank, AEG Branch and live in a very “Campo” location.

Two years ago, about this time, we were hit by a freak “Tornado” that resulted in extensive damage to both structure and contents. i.e. half of the main roof gone, 10 complete windows blown-out, flooding due to ripped pipes, electrical circuit severed etc etc……

Like most finding themselves in this situation I thought “here we go…..problems with the insurance”…….. I could not have been more wrong. Clearing, temporary services and making safe was carried out within days. Visits from insurance reprehensive were rapid and the estimate of a touch over 30.000 euros was accepted without question. Downward cash settlement offer was made of exactly 30.000 euros which we accepted [because we wanted to use our own builder] and payment landed in our bank two days later. Solbank AEG staff and their insurance branch were 100% helpful. Total negotiation time to funds received was just over 3 weeks.

Builders [Spanish] were great and re-building went without issue.
Al-in-all it was of course a nightmare of nature but not of the services provided by Solbank. Highly recommended.

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm sure I posted a couple of days ago, but can't see it now :thumbdown:

The gist of it was that we used to insure our holiday home with Intasure, but are now with Quoteline Direct. PM me for further info :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm

I have had a busy day.

Been getting alternative quotes. Mapfre were fine but Allianz wouldn't cover Robbery as it was a campo house!

I have been comparing the sections of cover and concluded that LD wasn't too bad an offering. So rang back to clarify that there wouldn't be any issues with "the clause". I was assured categorically that there wouldn't be and that the call was recorded. So I will make reference to that in a handwritten addendum on the sheet I have to sign and copy it for my records. I have the operatives name etc.

Might review it next year at renewal time.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm

olive wrote: As far as security is concerned, LD ask if you have rejas. If not or partial, do the windows without rejas have internal shutters that cannot be opened from outside.
Correct and they also want to know if you have secure main doors.

The rejas are the main problem. In my case they accepted their absence as we had a connected alarm system.

It's worth pointing out that this condition really only applies to theft of contents. If you cannot meet those requirements it does not necessarily negate the whole policy, just the theft cover. The fact that you have no rejas or live too far away from civilisation should not affect a claim if you have a fire and your contents are destroyed.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 pm

olive wrote:
Been getting alternative quotes. Mapfre were fine but Allianz wouldn't cover Robbery as it was a campo house!
That is very worrying as I live in a campo house and I am insured with Allianz.
I was assured by the agent that I would be covered as I asked specifically as to whether or not I would be covered.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Gerry -Allianz. That was the first offering at the agents.
The agent then rang the broker/company and asked as he lives within so far of a small village will robbery be included? I couldn't wait so left my Email. as of COP today I haven't heard anything so assume they aren't interested.

It all indicates a pretty ragged approach and of course when the chips are down the customer may lose out. They just want people on urbanisations.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Never rely on what a company tells you unless it in writing and totally unambiguous. We had long discussions with our insurers to get the cover we wanted. It cost us but I am confident we are protected.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 am

gerryh wrote:
olive wrote:
That is very worrying as I live in a campo house and I am insured with Allianz.
I was assured by the agent that I would be covered as I asked specifically as to whether or not I would be covered.
Cheers
Gerry
I have just read the small print of my policy with Allianz.

At the start, under the "Description of the Insured Risk" it says:-
Villa,regular residence, in a group of housing more than 500 metres away from the town centre.....
Later on under the "Risks Insured" section it states that I am covered for "theft, robbery, burglary"

So it would appear I am covered.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi Gerry
You look fine but the pedant in me asks what constitutes a "group" of houses. In my own mind 2 is not 3 is! More important of course is what their interpretation is.