Spanish Tax Office

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Tax Office

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:55 pm

I will try to leap in before ElCid does: the new agreement comes into force in 2016, so nothing changes until then ( for the 2015 return).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Just to clarify the situation (which can be very confusing), it is in force now as it came into force with regard to UK Govt pensions on Jan 1 2015, so it is in effect for income this year.

That income, for the 2015 tax year, will have to be declared in 2016.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:31 pm

I don't think it means you are taxed twice it is just that some or all of the tax you do pay may be pushed into a higher bracket.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:49 pm

It's just semantics.

If, as a result of declaring a UK Government pension, you end up paying more tax, that is a direct result of declaring that pension so effectively you are being taxed twice on the same income, albeit at a lower rate than you would have been if it was declared in the normal way.

That said, I can see no reason why government pensioners should pay less tax than I do on the same total income, which, because of the benefits of two sets of allowances and lower tax rates, will still be the case after the new treaty.

Perhaps us "normal" pensioners should petition HMRC to have our UK occupational pensions treated the same way.

Sid