funeral dress code

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

funeral dress code

Postby janieb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:55 pm

my friend has just passed away & her husband wants everyone to wear bright clothes instead of black at the cremation, does anyone know if this is acceptable as we would hate to offend anyone

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: funeral dress code

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm

If that's what he wants it will be fine.

Sid

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 pm

I have seen all types here except a lot of black. From very casual to very smart and all things in between. I am sure it will be no problem. Sorry to read of your loss.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am

If its his choice you are fine. Hopefully everyone respects his wish.

123-rattle
Tourist

Postby 123-rattle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi,

When my Dad Passed away, we requested that nobody wore black, In fact we made a pop of wearing the loudest Hawaiian shirts we could find, Nobody minded ,even the people attending the next service said that i brightened there day.
This should be a celebration of someones life ,so if thats the kind of people they were then you should not feel awkward .

Best Wishes.

Rattle.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 pm

Yes, people should wear what they are comfortable in, same as in the UK these days, the whole occasion is awful enough without people having to wear dark clothing.

And the advantage for the mourners of a person dying in Spain is that they have bars in the crematoriums - how very civilised!

Thinking of having my bod shipped back over there if I snuff it in the UK :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 pm

I don't go in for this be cheerful and celebrate funerals...ok. If it was someone you weren't close to but why would you want to go shopping for eg. A Caribbean shirt if you have just lost the love of your life....and where does all this bloody pink theme come from, most people, including the dead, never wore it. Funerals are for weeping and wailing not showing a stiff upper lip and making jokey anecdotes whilst dressed in red or whatever a bit of a strain for those closest.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:41 pm

katy and I are singing from the same hymn sheet on this one, and not "always look on the bright side of life"

anyroads

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 pm

People asked me about this when my husband died - I just said wear whatever you feel comfortable in (I wore mostly black but had some red as well), so we had a mix. As far as the weeping & wailing goes - we had plenty of that, together with some good laughs - again, quite a mix, but it worked for us, and that's what really matters.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 am

costakid wrote:If its his choice you are fine. Hopefully everyone respects his wish.
Picking up on the 'code' rather than the 'dress':
I've attended 2 funerals in the UK where, at the wishes of the deceased, the services were not the norm. The first was for a chap who was a gambler at the horse races and the service reflected that with references to 'the last fence' and 'the winning post' etc. And the second was a close friend who absolutely doted on the Beatles. Their music was played throughout the 'service' which consisted of various quotations from the individual Beatles. It was all very touching.
I've attended a funeral here in Spain where they played the song 'I did it my way' which described the deceased exactly.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:32 am

My Way must be one of the most played songs at funerals. The first funeral I went to which I remember a pop song played was decades ago and it was Stevie Wonder, I just called to say I love you :?

Now they also give guests a booklet with a brief biography of the deceased plus photos, another money spinner.