Declaring UK rental income in Spain - a change?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Declaring UK rental income in Spain - a change?

Postby Chica56 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:08 pm

I know this has been debated here before but a friend of mine had a Hacienda inspèction after the 720 was introduced and was told that she should have declared her rental income from UK property here in Spain...........like many of you my gestor has always said no do not do that just declare in the UK, which is what she had done, so have the rules changed?

If I understand the rules correctly then we should declare this income as we are required to declare worldwide income but.............anyone have any ideas? Has it changed along with pension declaration?

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Declaring UK rental income in Spain - a change?

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 am

My understanding is that if you are tax resident in Spain you pay tax in Spain on all worldwide income and gains. I do not see why there would be an exemption for UK BTL. Neither do I understand why I gestor would suggest Spanish tax evasion.

Of course I may be completely incorrect.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:45 am

UK rental income has always been taxable in Spain.

It's just yet another example of so called professionals not having a clue about UK/Spain tax issues.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Including imputed tax on proprieties that are not rented out.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:38 am

Good point Beach. About the only immediate tax "danger" of filing a Form 720 that includes details of a UK property is that Hacienda can immediately check it you have paid the imputed tax on it.

The vast majority of UK property owners who are tax residents in Spain have no idea that UK properties are subject to exactly the same tax as second properties in Spain. I am pretty certain that most Spanish gestors don't know either.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Hadn't thought of the imputed tax. How do they agree a "catastral value" for a uk house?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 pm

They do not know right now. Waiting for a test case. No one has declared one yet :wink:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:28 pm

To calculate the taxable base on a property with no valor catastral you take half of the escritura (deed) value and multiply it by 1,1%. This applies to both Spanish and overseas properties.

By the way, someone has declared the imputed tax on an overseas property... I have, but what may confuse them is that I bought the property in the early 1980s for far less than the €50.000 limit so I did not need to declare it on the 720.
Let's go Brandon!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Blimey...

If the popular press is to believed. Most people do not declare it in the UK, never mind Spain.

anyroads

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:38 am

Chica56 wrote:...........like many of you my gestor has always said no do not do that just declare in the UK, which is what she had done, so have the rules changed?
Get yourself a new gestor!

You are right that everything has to be declared here although net rental income does attract a discount (currently for 2014 only 40% has to be declared .... rising to I think 50% next year). Government pensions to be shown next year too.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:42 am

You actually declare the full amount of rental income and the PADRE program decides on the discount according to which box you tick.
Let's go Brandon!