Free standing air con units

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Free standing air con units

Postby GRANVILLE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Are the free standing air con units any good? I'm trying to avoid having one fitted on the wall but I wanted some advice from anyone that has one that stands on the floor. Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free standing air con units

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 pm

We had one in our office in the UK. The problem is the exhaust has to go out of the window which meant us having the window slightly ajar. In Spain the the intense heat you may be better having a fixed one.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Two ideas;

Fit a vent to a wall that will "receive" the exhaust tube end or make a panel that will recieve the hose end and temporarily fit and fill the gap of a partially open window (assuming sliding).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:09 pm

I believe there are two types of free standing units. One self contained (I have never seen one) and the hang out of a window type. We had two of the latter for a hell hole of an office in the UK. As said, the window had tobe part open, you had quite a heavy contraption to hang out and bring in at the end of the day.it also deposited water everywhere whilst you brought it in.

Ceiling fan or floor fan with a frozen bottle water suspended in front?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:12 am

There is no such thing as a "self contained" a/c unit. They all have to vent outside and this means opening a window or drilling a hole in the wall. The "self contained" units are evaporative air coolers which work quite well in dry climates, but tend to be louder than fans and a/c unts.

Suspending a couple of frozen bottles of water in front of a conventional fan will cool down the room for 2 or 3 hours depending on room size

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:40 am

I don't really understand the reluctance to have a proper wall/exterior unit installed. Modern ones are quiet and energy-efficient, provided the size is matched to the area it is to condition. It also has the bonus of being able to heat cleanly, with no smoke or lugging logs about in the winter. We only use ours on the muggy nights, or (as last week) when trying to settle 15-month-old twins unused to the current almost tropical weather!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:01 am

Fixed units can be very cheap if you shop around. I had a quote from a local guy for one unit for €375 including installation.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Good price, Sid. Wortens are quoting €449 to include installation (if distance between exterior unit and interior is no more than 4 metres).
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 pm

This guy had a spare unit that someone ordered and then cancelled. Normally he does them for €475 fitted.

I didn't buy it in the end as I discovered that the only spot I could mount it was on a 40mm concrete beam so I gave up on the idea. He might still have it if anyone is interested. PM me if you want his contact details.

Sid

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Some of the free standing units can sound like having a small tractor in the room,most stores will have good special offers on wall mounted units anytime between now and August,shop around you will find something to your taste and budget.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 am

We had one and found it rather noisy. As has been said one drawback is you need an open window to put the hose out. This allowa warm air into the room which is a bit counter-productive.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!