cockroaches

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
trisha
Tourist

cockroaches

Postby trisha » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:59 pm

I have a holiday home in Velez Malaga, and after 12 years cockroach free, this is the first year I have found them. I have read on a few sites that "ORO" cockroach spray has been very successful in keeping these evil creatures out. I have tried Mercadona, Mas, Eroski and Sol supermarkets trying to buy this but unsuccessful. Does anyone know where I can buy in in Velez Malaga or Torre del Mar?

quebin
Resident

Re: cockroaches

Postby quebin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi Trisha,we only get the occasional cockroach but Mercadona in Velez sell a very effective spray called "INSECTICIDA CUCARACHAS Y HORMIGAS" in a reddish/brown can that lasts ,according to the tin,for 3 months.It's just under 4€ a tin.
Hope you get rid of them soon.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi trisha,
From the paint and perfume shops.................ZZ Polvo

Sprinkle on run..........just make sure you don't tread in it..........ZZ kills anything that crawls over it.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:49 pm

This summer we have been using 'Vinfer Maton' Insecticidia Fregasuelos, on our patio and hardly any insects around now, seems to stop all insects.
On sale in the smaller shops and from memory about 2 .50 euros and lasts ages.!
Not seen the 'Oro' that you are looking for, but most of these products seem to be only available in smaller shops, not supermarkets.

Regards,
Gordon.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:10 pm

The insecticide that the professionals use is Chlorpirifos.

You can buy a litre for €15 and that amount wil kill a town full of cockroaches! Look for Chas 48 or Cuspid 48.

I use it for any insect that crawls rather than flies. It's great for ants.

These sprays work to some extent but they are really a total rip-off as they contain a tiny amount of active ingredients at a silly price.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 pm

As a professional I can tell you that no professional use "one pesticide only" because of pesticide resistance. You always cycle effective ingredient in order to avoid it.

Rules of thumb:

1. Keep it clean.
2. Cycle pesticide use and get them in early instars.
3. If you live in an apartment, all your neighbours need to keep it clean too. You won't get rid of your cockroaches no matter how much you spray if your neighbours keep a free zone.

trisha
Tourist

Postby trisha » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 am

Thank you very much for your replies. When I return in November I will try all of the sprays. After experiences 2 live ones and one dead one, I never want to see them again.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:40 am

B and Q in the UK sell Oro if you have anyone visiting who is bringing a hold case as i do not think you could carry it on board.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:08 am

Try Abonos Velez (near Hermanos Jeromo and the "tram" terminus). They are the place for professionals, and the staff know what works.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Have seen those small plastic trays that one puts down on the floor in likely spots. The roach is supposed to enter and pick up some poison. If the place is unattended then perhaps these trays work. Have seen them in Carrefour.