Adding phone number for La Ciaxa on-line security

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
concorde
Resident

Adding phone number for La Ciaxa on-line security

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:21 pm

We bank with La Caixa and use Linea Abierta to monitor our account from the U.K.
When I go online they now ask for a phone number for extra security for when I imagine unusual transactions take place.
I added our mobile and they sent an Message with a security code, I entered that but then got stuck as it asked for another code with 4 numbers. Can't be my pin as that has 6 digits.
I just wondered if anyone else has done this new security measure.
It is in English but I still don't know what they are asking
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Adding phone number for La Ciaxa on-line security

Postby olive » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 pm

I just ignored our request. I have had too many bad experiences with innocous looking stuff which ends up with you locked out etc. What happens if you haven't got a mobile phone?

I will be interested to see how this pans out as I will have to do it sooner or later.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Pin number off your card? :think:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:50 pm

Olive, I've ignored the request for quite a while and to be honest there's never much in the account, just enough for utility bills etc, which we top up when we are over.
My original pin was 4 digits and now it is 6.
This phone no. Code is an extra layer of security but I hate not being able to sort things out.

At least this bank doesn't have to have passwords and lots of security Q&A's,
Dogs name, first school, shoe size and phrase etc, it's exhausting setting up new U.K on-line accounts.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I prefer the security of say the Nationwide B/S to La Caixa. The latter is an eight number account with a six digit password.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm

it asked for another code with 4 numbers. Can't be my pin as that has 6 digits.
If it's Unicaja, they now give me a card with "one-time" code numbers - 4 digits to supplement the SMS 6 digit code. Maybe La Caixa do the same?
nil illegitimum carborundum

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:19 pm

After I entered the 6 digit SMS code an orange box appeared with 3 numbers in it, then next to that a virtual keyboard and a box to enter 4 numbers.
Still haven't a clue which 4 numbers they wanted.

I wish I'd taken as screenshot so I could have explained it better, if I try again I'll have to get another SMS sent to me, but since I get stuck after that I'm giving up for now.
When I had a look at La Caixa security info, it seems it is mainly if you try to make a purchase or take out more than 500euros.
Won't be doing that for the foreseeable future, so wil see if our branch can help when we are next over.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:38 pm

katy is probably right.

4 number code from your debit card ?

anyroads

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:14 pm

concorde wrote:.. an orange box appeared with 3 numbers in it, then next to that a virtual keyboard and a box to enter 4 numbers.
Sounds similar to the system SolBank uses.
Look up the 3 digits on the supplied card of codes and enter the corresponding 4 digits into the box.
Sounds like you don't have the card with the codes on.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for all your helpful answers.
No I don't have a card with codes on it, but thinking about it it did ask for corresponding numbers next to the 3 numbers it gave.
This is what I couldn't work out.

There are 4 x4 sets of numbers on my Visa Electron card. The first set is repeated in tiny numbers under it. However, this card has now expired and I have been notified to pick a new one up when next over. That will be next week so I may be able to sort it out then.
I'm sure most banks are the same with this type of security, so puzzled why I can't fathom it. :thumbdown:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 pm

It is as gerry said. You should have received a pair of cards " Linea Abierta" when you opened the account for use when a code is required. & yes you input the phone code first now & then it goes to the screen you described. This has a 3 figure number on the left & next to it is the 4 figure number which is the "clave" (key ) that you put in. There are 50 combinations on the card. You should have received it with any pin numbers for accessing the system originally. The cards are credit card sized with " caixaprotect" written on them along with "linea Abierta"
Todos somos Lorca.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks gus-Lopez
That explains the problem.
I opened the on-line access 9 years ago from the U.K, and certainly was never sent the code cards.
Not sure how to get them either now.
Although not particularly necessary at the moment, I'm sure I'll need them someday so will have to chase this up.

Wonder if Olive has them?

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:24 am

Sure most are savvy here but just in case.

Never enter any code or number anywhere unless you know exactly what it is and why it is being entered.
Never enter a pin number except in an atm, or give it to anyone. A pin number has a very specific use. Your bank will not ask for it.
Check the url on every page as you proceed ensuring it remains https and has the correct domain. https://portal.lacaixa.es/ is not the same as the spoof https://portal.la-caixa.es/

Hopefully a reminder doesn´t offend anyone but when I see people ripped off it so annoys me :sick:
El raton de watford

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 am

Hi , gerryh is correct , you have to have the çard of codes and enter the corresponding numbers , we bought a new phone online and befòre payment was made La Caìxa sent a text to the registered mobile asking if all was correct , it all worked fine.
allgram.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 am

As olive said what happens if you don't have a mobile phone? I am having this particular discussion with my bank(Santander) and they have just got back to me with a way of doing it. Will give it a go.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am

concorde wrote:
Wonder if Olive has them?
You'd be able to get them at your branch.
& no Olive's won't do as they are individual to each customer. :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Well, that was a waste of time!
Went to our bank and told the English speaking advisor that we needed the code card to add our phone number for on-line banking. He said no problem he could do it from the branch, took the phone number, added it somewhere and said that's that done.

Silly me, for believing that would happen. I didn't check on-line until I got home to U.K. and guess what?
Oh well, will try again next year :crazy:

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Well, following my post I tried phoning Santander and the guy the other end said no problem he would guide me through. After 10 minutes, I was still listening to his spiel and getting nowhere. I asked if I could do this in ranch because I was getting very flustered trying to listen, operate the computer and trying to understand everything he was saying in very broken English. Just gave up, thanked him and will just have to find another way round it.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:38 pm

A couple of things worth trying - a.) send an email ? &/or b.) if you're in UK, see if there is a UK branch of your bank (Unicaja for example have a small but very helpful office in London) and give them a call.

If all you need is the matrix card, can you not report one as 'lost' and just get a replacement ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)