13 year itch? Maybe now time to move on?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

13 year itch? Maybe now time to move on?

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Out of interest I was just wondering how many other "none ex pats" like us have decided to maybe sell their house/holiday home and move on over the years?

We bought back in 2002, an impulse buy really on our first proper trip to Spain to see a good friends new house which they still live in.
We fell in love with the atmosphere and all that Andalucía offered and bought a Townhouse on that visit.
As prices rose we cashed in our chips with that house and moved to our current campo dwelling and have had 10 very happy years of visiting.
I suppose three years back the OH and I did first mute the possibility of selling up, but nothing ever happened............and of course the market was flat at that time.
However houses are now selling again, 3 on our track have new owners since our second to last visit in April.

So the question reared its head again whilst we were there last month. This time we both agreed to set the ball rolling in the near future after a lengthy "pro's and con's" chat.

We are currently trying to analyse why, money let me say is not an issue.
In essence I guess that initial excitement has now gone, the mystique has vanished to a degree. We have immersed ourselves in Spanish life when there and although it is lovely we feel it is now another life we lead in a far off place, not a holiday in the sense it used to be and should be, it is very hard to explain so I won't bother :lol:

Also I think the constant niggles on our minds, i.e. is the land scrubbed?, is the pool ok?, we need to phone Unicaja, we need to speak to the Gestor, we need the car ittyoobying :mrgreen: ........it all has now become an unwanted burden if I'm true to myself, and the place in some ways stops us from going to other destinations. There are other reasons which I'd go in to if the thread develops, nothing bad or horrible, just I guess little straws that help to break the camels back.

Airports too have some part to play, a vastly different ballgame to 10 years ago, 3 hours of misery each way for me dossing about in them which increasingly I find I just don't need...........although OH is a bit more chilled than me in that respect.

So, we still love Spain and have a fantastic array of true friends out there, we can still visit can't we? I'd hate to never go back, and although people always say it I like to think we still would rent a place there once a year to catch up............but without the pressures.

Maybe I'm waffling, maybe we won't sell, maybe the house won't sell so we'd be stuck with it anyway, who knows?
At least we know we made the right decision when we were contemplating buying a "final" place over there to live permanently a good few years back, maybe the itch would have come sooner, again who knows?

I have a feeling that for some people things just run their course, and as Lavanda said on another "selling up" thread "just move on"

As I say I'd love to hear other's experiences of this and how they came to that decision.

Is it like the old saying about the boat?...............the two best days are the day you buy and the day you sell?.........with nice memories in the middle. It was exactly like that when we sold our boat, and just as bitter sweet decision to make as I think it is now.

Cheers Guys.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: 13 year itch? Maybe now time to move on?

Postby gavilan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 pm

I think once you have 'itchy feet' you gotta move ... but what about the weather?!

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:33 pm

After seventeen years here, six on a boat and eleven in the campo, I have just got an apartment overlooking the sea in my home town of Torquay in Devon. A bit older, I was finding things just a bit more difficult or tedious here in Spain. Time for a change, unlike others here I never intended to make this my permanent home, just an overlong holiday. Times have changed, and what was an adventure has now become a bind. Summer will still be spent by the pool in Spain, but I will put my house on the market when I return in late spring (although I do not expect it to sell for many years). I will be realistic over price so perhaps to someone it will be a bargain. jeff

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks Gavilan. I think you are probably right! As for the weather we are fortunate, we like all seasons come hail, rain or shine. We don't get that SAD condition. Having said that Spain in April is fabulous, or has been for us.

Baroness, many thanks for your take on things. What you've done makes sense, and it's great that you are committed to being realistic on price, as we will be.

As far as I'm concerned the house has paid for itself with nice times and memories, walking away with a nice cheque is all a bonus.

Cheers guys.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:45 pm

I can identify with your feelings. Some of the best times we had were looking for the place we now live in here in Spain. We bought a new caravan and just took with us what we actually needed. The rest was put in store and some of the boxes are still unopened 11 years later.

The bricks and mortar are a tie, no doubt about that. In the early days the adventure of getting things registered, buying something, getting a boiler fixed etc etc, etc , etc outweighed the inconvenience. Now I just find it a grind . Getting older doesn't help either.

Time for a new adventure. When we downsize (in a few years time) I would like to visit every country in Europe. What could your adventure be?

Presumably you still have a base in Britain? Sell up your Spanish place. Come back when you want to by renting and get a new challenge in your life. Ariel Atom holiday tours? Become a bodgers mate.?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Aerial Atom Tours :lol: :lol: Trust you, I like it!!!

Yes we live in the UK and have been in the same place for 20 years now.

Thanks for your thoughts there too. When you downsize will you buy again or rent in places that you fancy spending a year or two?

I wish you all the best with whatever you do.

Nice one
Thanks.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 pm

No we would buy somewhere on the outskirts of our Local town. Handy for the Docs, Pharmacist and shops. We don't have anywhere in the UK. This place has a few more years left in it for us.

You presumably ruled out the bodgers mate. Not interested in wood?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 pm

I completely understand what you say about not being so much a holiday home as a home that needs attention every time you visit. Although our casa is really well located for 'cultural sightseeing' etc, we never really got round to doing much of it, as there was always some DIY or gardening to be done... :thumbdown:

It was still lovely to visit and I do miss that :cry:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 pm

For the four years we had a holiday home here it was a worry and every time we came out it was just a case of sorting out the garden and paperwork. Although we managed to have other weekends away we spent the majority of our annual leave from work coming here. If we hadn't have come to live here permanently then I think in time we may have wanted to do other things and not feel that we had to come here for our major holidays.

I know a number of people who have sold up their holiday places here and just come back and rent somewhere if they want to visit. Even those who did live here have also given up their places and want to spend more time in the UK and going to other countries rather than being tied to here.

We have found a lovely cottage to rent in the UK and now use that every time we visit. We feel at home there and are familiar with how everything works, and it's a fraction of the cost of running a second home (and no responsibilities :thumbup: ).

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks Chrissie and Wicksey, all you say strikes a chord with me.

It's daft in another way really. We moved out of a largish town for the "peace and quiet" of the campo.

Yes the current place does take and need more looking after than a townhouse but it's not just that. With the open borders and open aspect of campo living you never know when the next visit is going to happen.
Maybe we are too soft but I find it hard to tell nice people to sod off when they land at your door, especially if you've not seen them for 6 months :mrgreen:

Couple that with the arranged get togethers that "have to be done" then the house on many mornings looks like a bomb has hit it from the night before. OH often says she does far more cleaning,tending to people, hosting and bottle washing than she ever does back in the tranquillity of Lancashire!! We are the total opposite in our 2 lives here and there.

A far easier route would probably be an apartment in the centre of 1/2 million people in Malaga, I think that would be easier and quieter :mrgreen:

It is also hard to get the balance right, we have great Spanish folk who tend to various things in our absence, no monies are asked for but as most normal people do we try to make it worth their while......in both monetary terms and gift terms, however you never know if you are doing right and we somehow always waver between "Am I being tight?" or "Am I being a mug?".......weird.

We always say to ourselves things in Spain have changed dramatically since the heady days of 2000-2002, however it's probably us that have changed.

I've no doubt whatsoever people buying now for the first time are getting that same magical feeling we did when we first bought.

Thanks again.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:03 am

We're recent buyers, end of May this year. So far it's been pretty full on, builders pretty much every visit, furniture shopping, decorating, it's been exciting but tiring. It's all complete now so looking forward to just enjoying it. First question we get when we say we have a Spanish house is, do you let it out? We've made it clear definitely not, I've not spent 6 months covered in dust to let others benefit. Ditto visitors, if they've not been regular visitors to us in Scotland, why should they avail themselves of our new sunny home. God, I sound a real misery guts. I just want the peace and quiet of a tidy pristine house and yoga on the balcony and beach. Lots of me and hubby time.

Will we get fed up of holidays always in the same place, time will tell. Plan currently is mainly holiday in Spain but do one other holiday elsewhere each year for a bit of variety. We're very well travelled so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. I'm looking forward to exploring all that Spain has to offer.

Our plan is to retire here, so this really lets us test the life fully. I'm already retired, hubby still working. Currently out for a week at least each month and loving it. My next challenge is to learn Spanish, starting local classes next week with weekly Skype classes when I'm home in Scotland. Let's see how that goes, an exciting challenge! Bring it on!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:08 am

Yes, I know how you feel. 14 years living here ,for us, & I suppose the novelty has worn off. Wife would like to move on but to where ? + this place is so cheap to run that anything else would be an increase in outgoings & for what ? We don't have anywhere in the UK & personally I wouldn't return.Obviously if there's an 'out' vote we might all end up deported. I keep hoping I'll die to save having to do anything! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:34 am

Gus you sound a bit depressed. Is it winter blues? You are normally more upbeat :)

For 12 years we have had a flat in Asturias and although it is a holiday home as we flit between Madrid and the UK it does feel like home. We have friends there; the people are great; and the bagpipes, celtic culture and cider all go down well. Ok the weather is a bit like Bognor but you can't have everything.

On the one hand I'm looking forward to our new adventure in Cadiz but on the other I won't mind if the flat doesn't sell and we find the need to visit Asturias every now and again.

But at 63 I don't imagine another move. So it is now about creating the 'dun roamin' type place.

Glad to say married to a Spaniard so however any vote goes I'm in the clear. Although if Spain kicked out money spending brits they'd have to be insane :wink:

Devil's Advocate I think you'll know when you have found your final port so if the urge to have another adventure is there I wouldn't fight it. Who knows what wonders await 8)
El raton de watford

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 am

I am with Weescottie on this ... I have been around here since the mid 90s and still find there are things to do and learn ... so never bored ... often tired but never bored!

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 am

We have been here 16 years and we still love it. Done the campo bit, move to the town. Busses on doorstep, so gave up car. Pharmacist on the corner of my road(need it these days). Health centre just round the corner. Bars and restaurants on offer. Lovely Spanish neighbours(I am fortunate that I speak the language). Love going back to London to see my Children and grandchildren, FaceTime them all the time. They come over two weeks a year. I couldn't imagine moving back to England(hopefully won't have to). Other than the lifestyle here I can afford to live very comfortably, which I couldn't do in England. Love it and hopefully my love affair will last a lot longer. Hope there are loads out there who feel the same.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you guys, some real interesting and well worded responses there, coming from differing angles, appreciated.

Weescottie. Congratulations on the new purchase, it is a great thing to do and we are so glad we did it, what sort of area is your new place in?
It is without doubt a great adventure that many talk about but in reality few do, it is one huge box ticked off the "must do" list for sure, and well worth it.
It rings many bells your comments on "renting out". In both the townhouse we bought and our current campo house we have been approached many,many times to rent out.
Yes it looks great on paper, "rent it out for just ten weeks and it pays for all your visits etc.", however how do you do that? Wardrobes are full of our personals which we couldn't be bothered transferring to a separate locked room along with other valuables when renters are in.
As you say the place is personal to us and not to be abused. Yes again, it is funny how "friends" come back on the scene when they find out you've a place in the sun and a pool :mrgreen:

Again Weescottie, we replicated your thoughts once more, we did envisage one day moving over full time. For a period it made sense. We fully loved Spain, running costs of a 3bed 2 bath house was peanuts compared to our house here in the UK. So sell UK house, cash in all other investments and toys and retire to a life of perfection with no money worries whatsoever........seems sensible, yes?

However we never got past the 50/50 stage of feelings in all honesty. We even about 5 years back seriously looked at a super house down at Algorrobo which would make a superb full time living accommodation. No daft track, OH would drive there, 2 minutes from the beach, all mod cons and more...............and cheap to buy and run in the scale of things compared to the UK, again a no brainer............again we could just not press the button and commit. I think from that day on we knew we'd never move over although never admitted that to people. We decided just to continue enjoying the nice place we have until the time is right to move on...........maybe now?

Again, enjoy the new adventure, I'd not change one moment of ours.

Gus, thanks. At least you haven't got the pull of "home" in the UK affecting your decisions. I'm pretty sure if you have itchy feet you are the kind of guy who will find another Spanish abode that rekindles all the feelings you once had for the place........much the same as moving house within any country you reside in I guess. Good luck with everything and thanks again.

flyeogh,

Again thanks for that. Asturias? Hmmm, you won't believe it but we have been looking online at properties there. It looks stunning to be honest and far easier to get your car to from the UK, you just never know. However if we did decide to buy abroad again I think France and the ease of getting there seems a safe bet.
Friends of ours have just bought a property near Limoges, I seriously can't believe what they've got for their money, incredible. It makes prices in the UK.............and in Spain seem non sensical.

You say......

Devil's Advocate I think you'll know when you have found your final port so if the urge to have another adventure is there I wouldn't fight it. Who knows what wonders await 8)
Our place here in the UK has been our long time "keeper" and I can't see us wishing to part with it any time soon. However I'm always on the look out for another adventure, eyes are peeled as I type looking for one :mrgreen:

If we sell, a few weeks holiday per year in Andalucía would always be on the cards.

Gavilan,

My problem "the OH informs me" is I find it hard to relax..........unless I'm doing something I really enjoy.
I sometimes wish I could get into books, OH is an avid reader and can pass hours away, she'll do many books in a week. I'll skim read car magazines and that's it.
I also don't do the sunbathing bit, it bores me senseless lying by a pool or on a beach for more that 2 minutes.
I like walking and learning as I guess you do, but after 12 years I have walked the area and know it well, so apart from bug5ering off in the car and finding somewhere new you're stuck.

About 2 o clock in the afternoon is a killer for me over there, especially when it's ninety degrees.
All the hobbies/passtimes and interests I have in the UK would be hard to continue with in Spain, hence from 2 until we start the evening at 8 I'm climbling walls. OH will flit from poolside to bedroom with aircon on with her book, happy as Larry............me? I'm stuffed :mrgreen:

I can see where the temptation is to hit the drink, I'm not being rude here but so many guys we know there seem to have a bottle or glass in their hand all the time..........why?, it can only be boredom I'd guess.

I'd never think of cracking a beer/wine here before 8 in the evening but over there it does appear the norm from dawn 'til dusk and I sometimes fall for it........that just ruins the evening for me so I try to avoid it at all costs.

Jeez I'm a miseable git aren't I :lol:

Nice one LuckyJim. Many thanks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:32 am

I do love living here and can't imagine living anywhere else, particularly the UK as we are SAD sufferers and hate the darkness in the winter (which seems to be at least half the year there). We do a once a year trip back to Blighty for a few days but perhaps if we could get someone to feed the cats more regularly we may splash out and go for a week or two .... the very hot summer weeks here would be a good time to go away for a little longer.

Interesting you mention France DA. We moved there from here over 10 years ago but found it very isolated and with very extreme weather. We were in the south (Toulouse south, not Cannes south!) but it was very hot and stormy in the summer (the most frightening thunder storms we've ever experienced) then down to minus 10 in the winter. We were inland and it was surprisingly cloudy much of the time. We may have faired better on the coast, perhaps Aquitaine coast (La Rochelle etc) but we'll never know as we ain't going back! If we hadn't have been working on our house all the time I'm not sure what else there was to do. I must say I do miss our lovely old 18thC farmhouse which was vast with 18 rooms and cost less than our tiny weeny campo villa here!

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:flyeogh,

Again thanks for that. Asturias? Hmmm, you won't believe it but we have been looking online at properties there. It looks stunning to be honest and far easier to get your car to from the UK, you just never know. However if we did decide to buy abroad again I think France and the ease of getting there seems a safe bet.
Friends of ours have just bought a property near Limoges, I seriously can't believe what they've got for their money, incredible. It makes prices in the UK.............and in Spain seem non sensical.
Devil's Advocate Asturias is a very special place. Mountains, crystal rivers, cows grazing, Eucalyptus, and the people. I wouldn't miss it out of my life for anything. So I'd say do consider it despite the attractions of France. There's a daily UK flight to London and as you say the boats :D
Devils Advocate wrote:I can see where the temptation is to hit the drink, I'm not being rude here but so many guys we know there seem to have a bottle or glass in their hand all the time..........why?, it can only be boredom I'd guess.
Just praying I get to avoid it. With bike, surf board, telescopes, IT work I hope I fill the day and as you say enjoy the evening without an alcoholic haze. But I see the danger with cheap prices, nice bodegas, fridge full of cans on a hot day, ....................

But I think it is like retirement. Whatever do not say I'll lie back and enjoy doing nothing for a year then get going again - because a year becomes 2 then 3 ................ Fill the day with activity from day one.

As you can probably tell I'm writing this for my benefit :wink:
El raton de watford

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:37 pm

I have certainly found all the above contributions most interesting , we have had our town house in Sedella for 15 years , we bought it with the intention to get away from Brittany (we did in the end , went back to Dorset )where the fog comes down in November and lifts in March. Its now come to the time to decide do we keep it or sell in 2017, the reason is for this is we will both be 70 then and our son has (is) buying a house at Largos on a bank repro estate there so we would be able to use his property out of season.The only reason holding me back from selling is the amount of "under the table" we did at the time would never be seen back ,so will be hit for a tax bill.
kerbut

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:21 pm

kerbut wrote:.The only reason holding me back from selling is the amount of "under the table" we did at the time would never be seen back ,so will be hit for a tax bill.
No CGt if over 65. :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.