How thinking it is clever to not follow the law can cost you

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: How thinking it is clever to not follow the law can cost

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Unicorn wrote:
And what does happen if a non ITVed/insured car hits you? Anyone know?
If you are insured in Spain it is not a problem. All Spanish insurance policies include a significant charge for being able to access the "Consorcia" which is a state run system which covers uninsured risks, such as an uninsured driver causing damage or injury to you. It also covers things like flooding and other natural disasters which are not covered by your policy.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Unicorn wrote:
And Olive, agree that Google etc tax arrangements are not great,
That's because UK law allows them to legally get away with it. Even Boris was on record recently saying that Google and others were acting legally and they had a fiduciary, legal obligation to their shareholders to reduce any tax liabilities. He correctly pointed out that it was up to the government to change the law to prevent this happening.

These scumbags who are tax evaders and benefit fraudsters in Spain are acting illegally and there is no way we should condone that.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 pm

As I have said before, it is not the problems of getting insurance payout if involved with an illegal, but in the event of serious injury (to a pedestrian or motorist) would the scrote hang around long enough to aid the victim, contact police and ambulance etc?
If they have such a disregard for the law they may also be careless about drugs and/or alcohol, let alone car maintenance. Should they themselves be injured or worse, the vehicle will not be traceable to them or their family...laws are there for a reason.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:25 pm

I agree, I am appalled at how many people are working full time and making more than the normal wage and not declaring it too, and it is done very openly.......I don´t object to people who are earning less than the personal allowance and working part time (and clearly not well off) but the others.... if only Spain would set up a more flexible system it would generate a lot more income.....

However if this couple are pensioners I don´t undertand why they cannot now register on the system? Most people diagnosed with most cáncers have had it for many years and an S1 only takes a few weeks.......

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Does it make any difference if an uninsured Brit runs into you than an uninsured Spaniard :? There are more uninsured Spaniards on the roads than uninsured Brits.

Carry on. I just love these self righteous threads :mrgreen:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 am

Does anyone report their Spanish neighbour for working cash in hand without an invoice?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 am

There are more uninsured Spaniards on the roads than uninsured Brits.
I'd love to see where you picked up the statistics for this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't disagree but nor would I write it down as fact.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:21 am

katy wrote:Does it make any difference if an uninsured Brit runs into you than an uninsured Spaniard :? There are more uninsured Spaniards on the roads than uninsured Brits.

Carry on. I just love these self righteous threads :mrgreen:

An uninsured *beep*.... is an uninsured ...... regardless. What makes me wonder is do all the morals of the brits go out of the window when they come to spain or were they driving around in illegal cars in the uk aswell. maybe some find the uk illegal drivers worst because they move to someone elses country and call them old fashioned but you should show abit of respect and obey laws and do things right or dont live there

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:56 am

Lavanda wrote:
There are more uninsured Spaniards on the roads than uninsured Brits.
I'd love to see where you picked up the statistics for this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't disagree but nor would I write it down as fact.
Google. :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 am

Nimrod wrote:Does anyone report their Spanish neighbour for working cash in hand without an invoice?
That's different innit :lol: plus all the companies who pay employees a nominal salary and the rest in hand. Or where you get asked do you want to pay IVA or not....where does it end

I think Peter is right to warn about the consequences of being illegal. Seems to me from the OP the couple are cheating themselves when they could have had free health care. They could possibly be cheating the UK by getting none transferable benefits such as pension credit. I know a widow who does that, wouldn't bother reporting her though seeing as a Spaniard can come to UK and get into the health service from day one with a UK address.

I agree residents should abide by the law of the country they live in but doesn't bother me if they don't pay taxes etc. One of my Spanish neighbours was a wife beater, lots of worse things.
Last edited by katy on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 am

peteroldracer wrote:I report misusers of the NHS, benefit cheats and expats driving here in SORNed cars.
Who do you report SORNed cars to? Reporting it to DVLA wouldn't have much effect surely? And how do you check if a UK reg car is SORNed?
And where would I start? - there's so many of the barstewards! But they are starting to tow a lot of foreign reg cars around here :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 am

Nimrod wrote:Does anyone report their Spanish neighbour for working cash in hand without an invoice?
Good point, I expect a few do but probably anonymously

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 am

Miro wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:I report misusers of the NHS, benefit cheats and expats driving here in SORNed cars.
And how do you check if a UK reg car is SORNed?:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:56 am

I know for a fact that Trafico use that site. Someone I know was caught out with a UK vehicle and the officer showed his that website with all the details of his untaxed car.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Peter,

Your post left me speachless, how on earth anyone in their right mind...never mind their 70's...risk not having health care in place in Spain or anyother country. Just because someone may feel in good health or think they can just pop back to Uk for medical treatment does not cover all eventualities like that which you have posted...I don't think anyone need tell them how foolish they have been...I am glad you reported this here so that hopefully anyone who is living full time over there and without health care will read it and take action...like today or tomorrow!!!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Who needs the Police when there is Peter and other vigilantes :wink:

Wonder what happened to that laid back lifestyle surely it is not prying into your neighbours affairs and raising your blood pressure :lol: there are lots of things to do in Spain :mrgreen:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 pm

[quote="katy] there are lots of things to do in Spain :mrgreen:[/quote]
Including trying to help the unwary avoid serious problems?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:01 pm

El Cid wrote:I know for a fact that Trafico use that site. Someone I know was caught out with a UK vehicle and the officer showed his that website with all the details of his untaxed car.

Sid
Yes, me too. But whereas I can see very easily on that site how to report an untaxed or SORNed vehicle in the UK, how do you do the same here?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 pm

No better name yet than illegal parasites? maybe sticking a yellow star or a black cross on them and their illegal possessions would help us and the authorities in eliminating them.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 pm

As I understand it, the offence is using a SORNed car on a public road, anywhere. The car will be registered in the UK so there is a contact address for the authorities to start proceedings, and Trafico and the DVLA do share information.
The fine is up to £1500 so worth them chasing it up.