What effect on us if GB leaves the EU?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: What effect on us if GB leaves the EU?

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 am

It is not a non deal. It's a deal that could change the rights of expats when they work abroad, as well as limiting immigrant's rights.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 am

In what way exactly? If a Non-EU person can, and does, work in Spain at the moment and has done for years why would that be different for a Brit Non-EU person.

Just saying "It could" is not good enough............ :crazy:
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am

It "could" be different for anyone coming to Spain to work after Brexit. All existing arrangements and permits should not be affected.

Sid

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:32 am

Ah, I see….It “could” be different or it could not be different……..lol
A good one yesterday was the statement the Flights and Holidays “could” cost more on a Brexit. NOT would, but “could”……..
So on the "could" argument things “could” be a lot better on a Brexit.
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:35 am

markwilding wrote:It is not a non deal. It's a deal that could change the rights of expats when they work abroad, as well as limiting immigrant's rights.
Are you saying that if the UK stays in Cameron's useless "deal" will affect expats working in Spain? If so how?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 am

detourer wrote:Ah, I see….It “could” be different or it could not be different……..lol
A good one yesterday was the statement the Flights and Holidays “could” cost more on a Brexit. NOT would, but “could”……..
So on the "could" argument things “could” be a lot better on a Brexit.
Exactly. Scaremongering coming from various fronts. Ryanair had a large ad' in the Times yesterday telling us flights would cost more if we vote leave. What it really meant is their profits would be down as they would have to scrap a lot of those flights to Eastern European countries. Today the Mail has the holidays will cost more with the currency fall hype.

Of course, brexit could push up the pound :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:02 pm

There are bound to be a lot of "coulds" regarding Brexit as no one has the slightest idea what will actually happen. If the referendum votes "Leave" then what happens is that the UK invokes Article 50 of the treaty. Then follows two years of renegotiation of hundreds of various trade and social arrangements with the EU and other countries.

The Leave team have no more idea than any of us what arrangements will be made and it will be the present government who will decide, not just the Leave team, and they don't seem to have any idea either!

My personal view on what will happen is that the vote will be to remain, solely on the basis of good old "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" about a Brexit. I don't think Cameron's deal will have any effect at all as it clearly doesn't amount to much.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:12 pm

I think Civil servants working in Whitehall on Policies will be preparing for an exit and will already have plans. They do the same before a run up to General Elections. I don't think the vote will be out, too many powerful lobbyists from multi nationals. Although this referendum will be totally different now we have Internet, people aren't as gullible. Easier to detect spin.
I think the vote could be irrelevant anyway as the whole EU is disentangling. Wishful thinking on my part :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:32 pm

That also is could and is based on your opinion. You might well be right but you don't know for sure.

Again you are very sure that we will vote to stay in, I'm not so clear. I certainly hope your instinct is correct. :thumbup:

Gullible could be used for those who are being told by Farage and co that all the UKs problems will somehow miraculously disappear if we leave.
Just saying "It could" is not good enough............ :crazy:

Obviously, you can be absolutely certain. :wtf:
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 pm

My view exactly Katy………
The In-Out is a sideshow and has diverted attention from what is really happening and will happen.
The EU is unravelling on an almost daily basis and as I have said many times [for what it is worth] Europe as we know it will not exist in 5 years or sooner.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:36 pm

katy wrote:I think Civil servants working in Whitehall on Policies will be preparing for an exit and will already have plans. They do the same before a run up to General Elections. I don't think the vote will be out, too many powerful lobbyists from multi nationals. Although this referendum will be totally different now we have Internet, people aren't as gullible. Easier to detect spin.
I think the vote could be irrelevant anyway as the whole EU is disentangling. Wishful thinking on my part :mrgreen:
Not a lover of the EU then? You played that close to your chest :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm

detourer wrote:] Europe as we know it will not exist in 5 years or sooner.
On what basis do you believe that?

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Note “as we know it”………… On immigration alone.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:56 pm

If the uk does leave I wonder how many of the other countries that are left will maybe look
To do the same.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Girlingfoss
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Girlingfoss » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:24 pm

There is no way of knowing what the effect will be. The out campaign and its followers all say don't worry be happy everything will be fine. There is absolutely nothing to prove that.
If the vote goes their way the out side of the Tories will take over the government and would not be interested in having anything to do with the EU because they hate it.
Meanwhile the EU would be glad to be rid of little England, it has been a thorn in their side ever since it joined.
Cameron got the Maximum concessions they were prepared to give (not a lot) from that you can see they were not worried if England leaves (not Britain because the UK will collapse).

The big problem if the vote either way ends with a tiny majority then this whole mess will go on for years.

If you have lived in an EU country long enough then become a citizen of that country then you have a say in the government etc rather than an outsider.
Apathy is the biggest enemy, a large number of voters are uniformed in spite of the internet mainly because they follow celebrities and sensational news stories, and are just tied up with everyday living.
It will be interesting to see what the turnout will be. certainly the out followers will be out in force.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:01 pm

So the EU would be happy to lose the £35 million pound NET we pour into the bottomless pot every day. :crazy: your post is the daftest I have read in long time, if ever. Not just the Tories who want out, many of the 4 million who voted for UKIP were working class former labour supporters, I think you are out of touch. Remember it's not a general election. My MP, Tory is voting in, he only has one vote, as I do :mrgreen:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:09 pm

swerve wrote:If the uk does leave I wonder how many of the other countries that are left will maybe look
To do the same.
Holland wants a referendum.

Re. Sterling. A good article here from a site I have used before for other matters.

http://capx.co/markets-think-brexit-is- ... portunity/

Girlingfoss
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Girlingfoss » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 pm

I guess Katy knows best, obviously not a full time resident so it matters little to you.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Well, I suppose for us ex-pats living here in Spain permanently we should vote to stay in. My reasoning is that we already know the situation by being in the EU, but we really have no firm idea of what will happen if the Brexit goes ahead.

So the Devil you know is my philosophy.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:37 pm

At least you are honest, nothing like self interest.