Eroski sell hypermarkets to Carrefour

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Free at Last
Resident

Eroski sell hypermarkets to Carrefour

Postby Free at Last » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Some of the Eroski hypermarkets in Andalucia (including the one in El Ingenio, Vélez-Málaga) have been sold to Carrefour. I can't say I'm surprised, there always seemed to be very few customers any time I went in there. I think Carrefour tends to have more varied stock than Eroski, so the change should be good.

http://www.diariosur.es/economia/empres ... 22113.html
Last edited by Free at Last on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Eroski sell hypermarkets to Carrefour

Postby Lyric » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Over the last year or so I have always had the impression that the local to you and me has been
a. getting more expensive and
b. Running down stock and variety.
whenever I visited.
That'll knock 20 minutes off a Carrefour visit too, good.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi FAL, is Carrefour rated as a good brand or one of the cheaper/less quality one's? Never used one of their shops shops yet.

Tried Mercadona's but didn't like it one bit........is Carrefour rated higher than them or Eroski for that matter?, or much of a muchness?

Thanks for that.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Well, I'd say Carrefour is about on a par with Eroski for prices, maybe even a bit more expensive, but when I've visited the one at Rincón de la Victoria (which isn't often as it's difficult to get to without a car) I thought the stock was better. I do my everyday shopping at Mercadona and find it fine, with very reasonable prices, but it will be good to have a much larger store with more on offer within easy travelling distance.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm

So does that mean they will carry on trading under the name of Eroski, be closed or reopen as Carrefour stores?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

The article doesn't specify, but I could not see why they would continue trading as Eroski stores, nor why Carrefour would want to buy them in order to close them down, in fact it does say that the staff's conditions of employment will be continued by Carrefour, so I think they will be converted into Carrefour stores. I suppose that might involve them being closed for a short period for refitting and restocking.

PS
This longer article from El Mundo confirms that all the stores bought by Carrefour will remain open, and they have bought them in order to extend their network of stores and give them a presence in new locations.

http://www.elmundo.es/economia/2016/02/ ... b4573.html

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 am

This has been on the cards for a couple of years, probably price being the sticking point?
As far as we are concerned Carrefour is far and away the best of the hypermarkets, with discount schemes for us 60+ folk, good quality beef and a good range of goods. They already have owned Dia for some time as a Lidl/Aldi rival, so seem to know what they are doing in both the low- and high-end markets. It should save us a trip to La
Rosaleda.
Mercadona is ok, but rarely has any attractive special offers on to keep us looking.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

Carrefour at Centro commercial Rincon has improved immensely over the last 3 or 4 years. The food and display is top draw. Its a little more expensive than Aldi and Lidl but in my opinion better.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:43 am

I read a review last year and I think Mercadona was the cheapest overall, Dia% was among the most expensive of the majors. However, the selection is quite different and where I live there are no complete store which means I cycle each time. For example, Mercadona doesn't carry any decent orange juice and quite often they don't even have yoghurt and stuff like that. If I want creme fraiche or something similarly exotic I have to trekk 30 km to Carrefour.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:57 am

Now you are just not trying. :D
Mucky Donna's Exprimido OJ is among the best, they have Creme Fraiche, it's just not called that.
Can't help with Yog, if they run out it's bad management.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 am

Exactly, Mercadona has stocked creme fraiche ever since I came to live here, €1.05 per tub - nata fresca.

My two local branches always seem to have an entire chiller cabinet full of all kinds of yoghurt.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:57 am

double post- sorry!
Last edited by peteroldracer on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:00 pm

The problem as I see it for Carrefour with El Ingenio's Eroski is that it is just far too small. This will mean they have to make difficult decisions about what product areas they will go for (such as non-food, electrical, fresh food etc), dumping some completely or hopefully not offering a bit of each!
The Rosaleda store is perhaps four times the size of Eroski Velez with the fruit and veg alone over twice as big, and they have two floors to use. They even have a Sushi bar as well as an in-house snack cafe.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 pm

As there are so many empty shops in El Ingenio, perhaps they could take over more than Eroski and have sub stores for electrical, homeward etc.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:53 pm

That explains why all the small Eroski stores changed to Dia a few months back. I don't tend to shop there much but they do have a few things I like, and similar to Carrefour - it's not a place I'd go to more than once every couple of months. I have found the Greene King beers the cheapest in Carrefour, so it's worth the trip every now and then :thumbup:

Must say I much prefer the small supermarkets these days and Mercadona is my favourite.
Flexo wrote: For example, Mercadona doesn't carry any decent orange juice and quite often they don't even have yoghurt and stuff like that.
It must be a badly stocked store then. Ours is only small but has a large selection of yoghurts and desserts (anyone tried their 'new' tirimisu .... made in Italy with Marsala wine .... surprisingly good).

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:22 pm

I always use Mercadona for main shop but try to use local shops as well. My only gripe with Mercadona is that they tend to discontinue lines, just when you get used to them. Love their Profiteroles with oodles of chocolate sauce......

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Interesting. We were chatting with our local Spanish barista the other day about supermarkets. We were trying to remember what became of SYP (it became either Eroski or Carrefour, can't remember - maybe both!) We had an Eroski in the town centre here years ago which became a Carrefour Express - and then closed down never to reopen. Another smaller Eroski closed and became a Chinese bazaar. There are three Murky Donkeys in town, the nearest of which is where we do the majority of our supermarket shopping. Increasingly over the years we've come to use local butchers, grocers and delis for more and more stuff though :thumbup:
In the building where we live there was an Opencor originally, one of two in town which both closed down. The one below us reopened as a Coviran, run by Chinese. Right now it's undergoing a complete refit, and will reopen next week as Dia, still run by the same Chinese: I believe both Coviran & Dia are franchises.
I'm amazed at the amount of work and the expense involved in converting a supermarket into a supermarket; they completely gutted the premises and started again :crazy:
We also have a town centre Supersol, and a Hipersol on the outskirts, both of which I can't see how they keep trading - they're usually empty. I have a feeling they're also part of the Carrefour portfolio.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am

Well, Spain is about 30-40 years behind central and northern Europe when it comes to supermarket and every day consumption wares. The spaniards tend to buy their meat, fish, fruit and vegetables at delis, not supermarkets. This is particularly true at smaller towns or "non-foreign" locations. They also have this weird affiliation to the chinese bazaars where they buy stuff often cheaper than you get at places like Carrefour and Eroski. Most of these business models are going to be outdated sooner or later.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Well I have to disagree with the meat and fish. The queues in our Carrefour are horrendous for fish and fresh meat.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 pm

I disagree too - Mercadona's fish counters (which are excellent) are always much busier than any of our local fishmonger's shops or market stalls.

The Spanish people around here buy their meat from butcher's shops and fruit and vegetables from either fruterias or market stalls (as well as from supermarkets) but they certainly don't buy them from delis.

The fact that so many of these small independent shops remain is one of the things I like in Spain, long may they survive. Do we really want it to become like other places where town centre shops have closed down, leaving town centres lifeless, and everyone has to use out of town supermarkets?