A new life in the sun -TV series

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

A new life in the sun -TV series

Postby olive » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Anyone watching this late afternoon Channel4 ?

I find the modern format extremely irritating. e.g. clips of what is coming up in the programme and then bitting and bobbing from one country to another and each time giving a reminder in case you have forgotten what happened two minutes earlier.

having said that, it is interesting to see what people do and that they seem broadly to be making a go of it.

scotty
Resident

Re: A new life in the sun -TV series

Postby scotty » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm liking it. Cant say the format bothers me. All that type of program use the same recipe.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 pm

enjoying it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 pm

olive wrote:Anyone watching this late afternoon Channel4 ?

I find the modern format extremely irritating. e.g. clips of what is coming up in the programme and then bitting and bobbing from one country to another and each time giving a reminder in case you have forgotten what happened two minutes earlier.

having said that, it is interesting to see what people do and that they seem broadly to be making a go of it.
Yes it is irritating, a few other programmes like neighbors from hell use the format of a half finished story moving around. Making a go of it? I am not sure, it is the telly :mrgreen: last week I saw one who was supposed to be running a boot camp. Given that these type of chancers are ten a penny I doubt it. She rented a villa for a few months and it was obvious the people who came were friends. Also she looked in need of some personal training herself :lol: all the same old...will it be ready in time, will they get the punters, course they will, it's on TV.

Saw one today, opening a bar on the Marina in Fuengirola. The place has always been dead, even in boom times. I would say the average they last is 6 months. It is a horrible run down area. Then there was the couple in France who looked as if they had bought a dump. Looking to build gites, yeah, lots of demand in the Gironde. Don't they know that nearly every Brit in France has a gite or two which they can't let. Great entertainment though, taken with a pinch of salt. :mrgreen:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes, I'm taping it every afternoon and watching when I have a spare hour.
Unfortunately you can't really fast forward bits as it is different every time.
I really like the couple who have moved to France and opened a LandRover parts company.
They both seem so genuine and cheerful.

No one ever mentions costs of moving/living in this show, but that could put prospective migrants off doing this.
Would never even contemplate buying a vineyard, too much depends on the weather.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks. I've put it on series record on 4+1 cus it clashes with tipping point (waiting for the show I was on to be transmitted)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Just watched today's show. The only difference to similar versions is that most of the participants are likeable. Feel sorry for the couple in France, they seem very nice and lovely dog. There was a series many years ago exactly the same. Suddenly everyone drifts into the restaurant at once, or party. The guy in Fuengirola who hired a drag act and everyone came. We have often walked past there to car park and it is embarrassing seeing the desperate owners, some with live music singing to themselves. BTW why the obsession with drag acts in expat areas :?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:46 pm

Never understood the appeal of drag acts either, but I happen to have met Paul Burman (Guapatina). He's a really nice guy, and has a lovely dog called Ethel, too :thumbup: (Ethel Burman....think about it!)
I agree about the people being more likeable than on most such programs, although I find the wife of Mr.LandRoverParts a bit irritating & insincere.
I went to La Cala today, and on a whim decided to drive by the Blue Marlin, but missed the turn off for Torrenueva (don't think there was a signpost before the exit) and couldn't for the life of me find my way back there without going round in circles, so gave up. OK, so I'm not familiar with the area, but it struck me that that could be a problem for any new business in the area.
Fuengirola Marina...mmmm. I remember eating at Ku'Damm (the German restaurant) a while back (excellent, by the way) but feeling a little nervous walking around there at night - it was so quiet and dark. I'm a little sceptical about the guy's claims too. If I heard right, he took €400 on the door, @ €6 per head (did that include a drink?), that's 66 people, and took a further €1000 or so over the bar. That's €15 per person, on average. I wonder how much he was charging for that fruity plonk in a cooler box? :shifty:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Blue Dolphin all seems a bit experimental....don't think I'd like to be the subject of a seafood experiment.
I read the Tripadvisor reviews on Blue Dolphin and one of the complainers said they'd rather go to the Spanish restaurant next door, Las Llaves,which was also shown tonight when the owner of Blue Dolphin asked the owner of Las Llaves for advice.
Las Llaves has been going years and has v good reviews.
I think I'd go for tried and tested rather than somewhere whose reputation comes from a tv show.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:33 pm

the kitchen didn't have the appearance of a busy kitchen. Usually there is lots of preparation, with everything chopped etc. Did you notice he drove all the way to Malaga to look at fish and bought a small bag of clams, about half a kilo :lol: his lemons were in a small bag from a supermarket.

The boot camp woman also went to Malaga to look at fruit. She rented a villa for two months, no gym equipment and when she checked the woman it was a cheap set of bathroom scales :)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:29 am

I felt genuinely sorry for the Blue Marlin in yesterday's episode. Reminded me all too well of the kind of set backs that befell us in our businesses here. (like a fire that destroyed the water pump on the day we took over a hostal, resulting in us hurriedly buying bottled water for guests to shower in!). Good plug for good old Pepe Nuñez and their faithful 35 year old truck though! And perhaps less so, the maintenance guy.
The couple in France with the old school house gite seemed to be more at fault for some of their own disasters: did they not think it would be a good idea to have more than one set of sheets per bed?
As for the Mariners: does anyone know if they're still here & planning on opening this year? Again, I can't help feeling a little sorry for them, since they're clearly not lacking experience in the trade, but the old adage of location location location....if I heard right this time, their takings for the season were €10k? A bit different from the claimed €1,000 on their big cabaret night on the previous show. Less than half of that would be profit, even before paying the rent. Oh dear. :(

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:17 am

Seems to be still going as it's on Facebook. Advertising Valentines night. Surf and Turf, free bottle of wine €25 plus live music. Can't be much profit from that when the overheads are out. I suppose they will toddle along with their "fame" from the show for a season or so. Some have posted we are coming out in April can't wait to see you. Some are easily impressed.

There was a man at our golf club who owned a lot of those bars on the Marina. Horrible man, he spoke disparagingly about the people who rented them. His main income came from his 50% or so every time the lease changed hands.

I have always distrusted Tripadvisor but totally disillusioned after seeing all those revues about mediocre places. Authentic my ass :mrgreen:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:53 pm

The steak at the Blue marlin didn't look too clever and whats with those chips a la MacDonalds.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 pm

You mean, chips a la thimble. Big plates, small portions, not my thing. :silent:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:16 am

The couple from the Blue Marlin we're looking for different rental accommodation on today's programme. Their budget was around €1000 pm. When the cost of bar rental is added on, at least €600pm plus utilities they have at least 2000 going out. They had a worker in the kitchen too.Then there are taxes. Anyone who knows the area is aware it is dead most of the time and I just don't find it credible that they said Spanish were eating there. Rarely happens.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:30 am

Well, apparantly everything in Spain costs one third of what it costs in the UK. One third.
If I hear that said one more time....

One third. :roll:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:01 am

I thought I heard someone say one third :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:05 pm

I was thinking this thread would be better in the main forum. Then I remembered, perhaps some of you do. About ten years ago there was a similar series. One woman was supposed to be trying to start play groups for hotels etc. Shots of her trawling around hotels etc. Her only equipment was a carrier bag with a few colouring pencils and cheap colouring books :lol: naturally I commented and she came on the forum. Can't remember what she said :mrgreen:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Probably that colouring pens cost one third here than they do in the UK :lol:

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:09 pm

These programmes are meant to be entertaining and will ensure the editing is done in a way to get viewers. According to trip advisor blue marlin is doing well. Good luck to anyone trying to make a success in such a fickle market.