National Health Scheme

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: National Health Scheme

Postby MartinEB » Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 am

On the subject of translators at hospitals, I came across this:

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/servicio ... DyD_EN.pdf

The third para down reads:

Which is all well and good but if you turn up at hospital and can't understand what they are saying you are snookered!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 am

:lolno: Yeh! But that poster probably ticks a few boxes in the EU directives' compliance list :lol:
nil illegitimum carborundum

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon May 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Is this a National number or just for a particular region?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Mon May 30, 2016 2:43 pm

MartinEB wrote:
El Cid wrote:
We simply have the telephone number in our mobile (953011080) and phone it if/when we need it when sat in front of the doctor.
fyfin wrote:Is this a National number or just for a particular region?
I assume you are referring to the "Junta de Andalucia" Salud Responde telephone number? which is, as you'd imagine for Andalucia!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon May 30, 2016 2:53 pm

lol - jumped in too quick without looking properly. Of course it is.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Hospital Comarcal in Velez-Malaga has translators available for most of the time. Just look for their desk when you enter.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm

MartinEB wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 2:43 pm
MartinEB wrote:
El Cid wrote:
We simply have the telephone number in our mobile (953011080) and phone it if/when we need it when sat in front of the doctor.
Does this service still exist?
Might need to use it next Tuesday if it does.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon May 23, 2022 8:20 pm

gerryh wrote: Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 am If you are a pensioner, or regarded as a pensioner because of, say, incapacity benefit in the UK then you and your spouse, irrespective of their age, will be regarded as pensioners here in Spain and will get health cover when you become permanent residents.
Cheers
Gerry
Just in case you may know... Mrs bassleft left teaching at 59 and is 63 now, and receives payments from TP (Teacher's Pension scheme) but no state retirement pension as yet. I'm younger, but left at the same time. We've paid for private health insurance in Spain since residency in Jan 2020. Do you think being in receipt of TP at her age would qualify as "regarded as a pensioner" or is it only state pension + similar, not public service pension schemes that would make the grade?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:53 pm

As far as i'm aware you have to be in receipt of state pension which would then enable yourselves to apply for a certificate of entitlement to state health care paid for by the Uk...( S1 form ) If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.
There is info on the Uk gov website.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon May 23, 2022 10:54 pm

That is my understanding, either of you have to be in receipt of a state pension to proceed. Once one of you is in receipt then the, usually younger, can "piggy back" and also qualify. UK GOV is the place to look.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Tue May 24, 2022 6:35 pm

1bassleft wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:20 pm
gerryh wrote: Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 am If you are a pensioner, or regarded as a pensioner because of, say, incapacity benefit in the UK then you and your spouse, irrespective of their age, will be regarded as pensioners here in Spain and will get health cover when you become permanent residents.
Cheers
Gerry
Just in case you may know... Mrs bassleft left teaching at 59 and is 63 now, and receives payments from TP (Teacher's Pension scheme) but no state retirement pension as yet. I'm younger, but left at the same time. We've paid for private health insurance in Spain since residency in Jan 2020. Do you think being in receipt of TP at her age would qualify as "regarded as a pensioner" or is it only state pension + similar, not public service pension schemes that would make the grade?
I'm in a similar situation to your wife, occupational pension just below state pension age (64) and it's a case of waiting until receipt of my old age pension, then get my S1.
219€ a month until then for private healthcare.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm

As the others have said, it is being in receipt of the state retirement pension (not any kind of occupational pension, even Crown ones) which makes a British citizen eligible for an S1 form to cover the cost of their public healthcare in Spain. When we came to Spain my husband was 57 and I was 50. At that time we were able to get what were known as residual S1 forms (based on our NI contribution records) which covered us for the first two years and when those ran out we needed private health insurance. the UK stopped issuing residual S1s in around 2014 though. My husband became entitled to his state pension at 65 and I was then able to get an S1 as well as his dependant. I will become a state pensioner myself in a few weeks' time and will then need to get a new S1 as a pensioner in my own right, and register that with the INSS.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 pm

If you are on some disability benefits this also allows you to have an S1 aswell if below OAP age

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 am

Thanks for the replies and clarifications. We both have private no-copay insurance, and I did think we'd have to continue (actually seems a reasonable deal, except we currently have no call for it) but I thought I'd check. Special thanks for FaL's pinpoint "even Crown ones". The thread has already enlightened me that in time I can hope to slide in under Mrs Bassleft's skirts rather than keep stumping for private. Thanks again.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 am

Presumably it is when you are actually in receipt of the state pension, as it's 66 now?

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri May 27, 2022 4:05 am

That's what I assume, Wicksey (or she, in this case. I did think that I would by necessity have to continue with private, until reading this thread, so I've learned something useful).

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 27, 2022 8:25 am

Yes, everybody who replied to 1bassleft said that it is being in receipt of the state pension which gives entitlement to an S1. The UK state retirement age is currently 66 but is rising to 67 between 2026 and 2028, phased in according to date of birth (see page 3 of this link). It will increase again to 68 but not until 2044-2046 (well at the moment they say that but who knows?).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... etable.pdf

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat May 28, 2022 10:06 am

1bassleft wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 am Thanks for the replies and clarifications. We both have private no-copay insurance, and I did think we'd have to continue (actually seems a reasonable deal, except we currently have no call for it) but I thought I'd check. Special thanks for FaL's pinpoint "even Crown ones". The thread has already enlightened me that in time I can hope to slide in under Mrs Bassleft's skirts rather than keep stumping for private. Thanks again.
We have the same type of insurance, which so far we have only had dental check ups but i wouldn't say we have no call for it,as who knows. Most of the time with health insurance, people don't currently have call for it however i wouldn't tempt fate and cancel it.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 31, 2022 6:02 pm

My comprehensive insurance with Sanitas is 1716 euros per year including dental care !