Estimated Electricity Bills

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bugsbunny
Resident

Estimated Electricity Bills

Postby Bugsbunny » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:04 am

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me how often Endesa bills are estimated please? Or how often the meters are read?

Thanks in advance,
Bugs :)

pensure1988
Resident

Re: Estimated Electricity Bills

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 am

Your Electricity Meters will be read every two Months, if you have one of the old type Meters. The New Type of Electronic Meter with the red flashing light is read every Month as these can be read remotely from your Electricity Suppliers Office. These New Type of Meter have the ICP ( Interruptor) built in, which limits the amount Electricity one can use according to the Potencia you are contacted to, with the Electricity Company.

Hope the helps.

Pistol Pete
Tourist

Postby Pistol Pete » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 pm

We have a fairly new smart meter (12 months old) and a recent bill was estimated and at 3x our usual usage. I queried it with Endesa on their chat line and they confirmed a fault and would investigate. On my next visit I checked the meter and it read as I'd left it.

Not sure of the cause but it was corrected on my next bill. Who knows if it would have sorted itself without my query but I can't fault the promptness of the resolution.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:02 am

Lucky you. Several years ago our new smart meter developed a fault, whereby it displayed a clock time which was 9 hours out, and did this for between one and two weeks. As we were (are) on dual tariff, this hiked out bill for the period substantially.

Despite pointing out the error to Endesa (and the historic spike in our billing), they refused to accept there was a fault. We even took the matter through OMIC (Consumer Office), who - oddly - eventually declared that the matter was "beyond their competence" to investigate.

Another punitive victory to Endesa. Since these meters are externally controllable (all functions), you do have to wonder whether . . . And Endesa does have rather a lot of customers . . . most of who would never notice . . .

Good to hear of some more helpful response, though.
Chris

Bugsbunny
Resident

Postby Bugsbunny » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 am

The reason I was asking is because I sold my inherited apartment recently but still haven't had my final Endesa bill. Back in 2009, I had the apartment rewired but never got the bill changed into my name - it stayed in my parents name. This was probably a mistake on my part but too late now. I never received bills either but payments were deducted from my Spanish bank account every other month - I can only assume somewhere down the line my dad opted for no paper bills - probably without knowing as he never learned Spanish properly. Anyway, I sold up on 9th May and the buyer (so he told me) transferred the electricity into his name after getting the rewire checked and certified. My last bill was 20th April.... If the electricy hadn't been changed into the buyer's name, I would have had a bill around 20th June ish but to date, nothing. I'm puzzled and a little concerned. A friend suggested that previous bills may have been estimated (hence my question) but over estimated, and that my final meter reading showed me in credit, hence no bill. Could this be the case do you think...? I can't ask Endesa as they don't know about me and I don't want to open a can of worms!!

Thanks in advance,
Bugs :)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 pm

When we bought this house the names were supposed to be changed over but the previous owners got our first bill and it did take a while to sort out. Has the new owner receiving their bills OK now or is it too early to tell? If they are being billed correctly then I would just wait and see if any final bill comes along. Although we live in the campo our old meter is being read every two months now, so I guess that is their policy (whereas it never used to be read in the old days and most of our bills were estimated).

When we got a bill showing nil useage we thought there was a glitch in the meter reading or at Endesa, but it turns out our meter has stopped working. I have emailed Endesa but apart from a reply saying that it has been passed to the appropriate department, we've not heard anything more. We think the meter was damaged in an electrical storm we had when our lightbulbs all blew up and there was a terrific bang from the fuse box. Not sure how long we shall have to wait and whether we need to take any more action?

Bugsbunny
Resident

Postby Bugsbunny » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:38 pm

All good fun innit? I don't know if the new owner's receiving his bills ok - only met him at the Notary and no contact since. My bank account will be open and the DD live until I'm back in Torrie in October so hopefully by then, all will be sorted. If not, it's tough because I'll be closing my bank account then.

Good luck with your issues Wicksey :)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 pm

If you are worried about receiving bills for which you are not liable, you can always instruct the bank not to allow any further debits by Endesa.
If sums are outstanding much later on, Endesa will seek payment from the new property owner - who may/may not contact you as needs be.
Chris

Bugsbunny
Resident

Postby Bugsbunny » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Chris and thanks for your post.

I didn't want any loose ends and wanted to 'pay my dues' in full but I must admit I am a little concerned about why I haven't had any money taken in June. I don't suppose that if I owe anything that it's very much as the April payment came out as normal and the apartment stood empty until the beginning of May when we went over to clear out our stuff and sign at the Notary. I wanted to leave a clean slate though. Guess if I do cancel my DD and I owe them money, they can try and find me (I'll pay up in a heartbeat) but they don't really know I exist as the bill was always in mum and dad's name. Sure they could track me down if they put their mind to it :). Do you really think this is a wise move?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes, do it. If Endesa really want a due payment (and they can be staggeringly slow at final billing and ownership transfers), they will undoubtedly contact the new owner, who (I guess) will be able to contact you.
This has to be better than trying to reclaim monies from Endesa, although, in Spain (unlike the UK) a bank will 'claw back' a DD payment immediately, on request of the account holder. (It's the compensating factor for account holders not having to "authorise" DD arrangements direct with their banks, but simply giving bank details to the debiting company.)
Chris

Bugsbunny
Resident

Postby Bugsbunny » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Chris - I'll do this. Like I say, anything I might owe shouldn't be too much and it is nearly 3 months since I sold up!

Appreciate your advice,
Bugs :thumbup: