A New Lap Top

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: A New Lap Top

Postby HarryJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Flexo wrote:
HarryJ wrote:Your last sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. Stationary? Also your statement regarding "the best Mac being 1-2 years behind an average PC is utterly absurd.
Here is the latest Macbook specs: http://www.apple.com/es/macbook-pro/specs/
Here is the old ones: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... html#specs
Then here you have CPU benchmarks: https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks
Your sentence still makes no sense "Stationary"? And your links are totally meaningless in context to your absurd claim that the best Macs are 1-2 yrs behind an "Average PC.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Lavanda wrote:This is the most interesting thread for ages. However, all I know is that I sit at my Mac and work across writing letters, writing my (third) book, inputting and manipulating photographs and graphics, building and managing my web site, working with maps and GPS points across Google Earth and Garmin BaseCamp, sending e-mails, messages, using FaceTime and Skype and accessing the whole internet thingy. It all works really well and I get on with things quickly and quietly.

My OH sits at his computer and within the first few minutes he's yelling at something or other. When he upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 it took three weeks for things to work and that was with a whole on-line help team working just for him. It's still, in the words of my OH, "utter pants". He is stressed with it all the time. When he settles down with the iPad, peace reigns in our house.

Of course, there will always be PC lovers and Mac fans and the two can co-exist happily. My Pages documents can be saved as Word documents without loss of any elements and I can open Word. There's no problem. However, the difference between using Pages to create a document and using Word is huge. One is designed for simple people to use and one is not designed at all. In my experience.
I have to say my experience of upgrading to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have all been pain free. I upgraded 5, left 1 with windows 7 and one is still XP.

I do agree though that Pages is a great document creator. I use it in Ipad for my promotion and information while printing and forwarding is so simple.
To create something similar in Microsoft Office, Publisher is needed. Pages is absolutely free so it's no contest.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Flexo wrote:
Lavanda wrote: Of course, there will always be PC lovers and Mac fans and the two can co-exist happily. My Pages documents can be saved as Word documents without loss of any elements and I can open Word. There's no problem. However, the difference between using Pages to create a document and using Word is huge. One is designed for simple people to use and one is not designed at all. In my experience.
Microsoft Windows has nothing to do with Apple vs PC, which is why I was dumbfounded about "computer professionals trading PC for Apple". When I worked in the software business nobody had Apple computers except for testing code they had written for Apple. The preferred OS in the computer industry was (and probably still is):

1. Linux/ Ubuntu/ Unix whatever
2. Microsoft Windows (for commercial apps not available on -nix or games)
3. Apple
Incorrect, in this day and age the current preferred OS within the programming industry is the Mac OS
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple ... e-3638706/

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Getting daft again, If you quote a magazine dedicated to Macs, It's hard to take seriously especially as the graph below doesn't seem to back up your clam.
The article speculates what might happen and quite shows Windows as the current most popular programming OS by far.
What difference does it make anyway?

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 pm

HarryJ wrote:
Flexo wrote: Your sentence still makes no sense "Stationary"? And your links are totally meaningless in context to your absurd claim that the best Macs are 1-2 yrs behind an "Average PC.
Stationary = workstation, a non-mobile computer. The 2000 USD Mac flagship is 3 times slower than an average 1000 USD PC, which makes it in essence 6 times slower and yeah it is 2 years behind the average PC.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 pm

HarryJ wrote:Incorrect, in this day and age the current preferred OS within the programming industry is the Mac OS
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple ... e-3638706/
I like how this "alternative facts" tend to lead us. I won five olympic medals in Rio. It is not a lie, it is an alternative fact.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 pm

markwilding wrote:Getting daft again, If you quote a magazine dedicated to Macs, It's hard to take seriously especially as the graph below doesn't seem to back up your clam.
The article speculates what might happen and quite shows Windows as the current most popular programming OS by far.
I obviously read a different article to you! And frankly saying you can't take the "magazine" seriously is simply ridiculous. BTW the graph quite clearly backs up the OP's claim Mac OSX was TOP with 26.2% which part of that did you not comprehend?
Anyway here is the full indepth survey carried out which is not in any way shape or form a Mac thing and quite comprehensibly backs up the OP's statement. Unbiased and neutral and unquestionable.
http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016
Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I So Bella tis you

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Flexo wrote:
HarryJ wrote:
Flexo wrote: Your sentence still makes no sense "Stationary"? And your links are totally meaningless in context to your absurd claim that the best Macs are 1-2 yrs behind an "Average PC.
Stationary = workstation, a non-mobile computer. The 2000 USD Mac flagship is 3 times slower than an average 1000 USD PC, which makes it in essence 6 times slower and yeah it is 2 years behind the average PC.
Again a totally nonsensical statement with not a single fact to back up your ludicrous claims. Pointless, I'm out. 

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
markwilding wrote:Getting daft again, If you quote a magazine dedicated to Macs, It's hard to take seriously especially as the graph below doesn't seem to back up your clam.
I obviously read a different article to you! And frankly saying you can't take the "magazine" seriously is simply ridiculous. BTW the graph quite clearly backs up the OP's claim Mac OSX was TOP with 26.2% which part of that did you not comprehend?
Anyway here is the full indepth survey carried out which is not in any way shape or form a Mac thing and quite comprehensibly backs up the OP's statement. Unbiased and neutral and unquestionable.
http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016
Of course if you say it that way. but they only have 26 per cent all the total market whereas Windows was top overall with more than 50 per cent and as far as I can see the prediction, based on current trends, is that windows might drop below 50 per cent, not that Apple will overtake it.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:I read a while back that IBM were switching to Mac and replacing up to 75% of its staff from Lenovo PC's to Macs and that by 2017 they'd have around 200,000 Macs across their workforce. I think its a bit of a trend at the moment
I'd like to be the Salesman that secured that deal, I hope he was on commission :D (yes I'm aware it was probably Tim Cook not Robbie Rep in his Mondeo)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:43 am

Mark I think the thing about Windows is that it's on cheap PCs and not very good but, who cares, it's cheap. It's like buying anything cheap. You use it, put up with the faults and then throw it away and get another one and repeat the cycle. Zillions of people do that. That's they way of the world. Windows is the most used thingy in the world but it's still rubbish. You are going nowhere arguing anything else BUT you are right. Lots of people use it.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 pm

I know next to nothing about laptops, I can just about manage basic tasks but I can say this, I've had an "Acer" for 4 years, don't ask me the model cos I don't know, i've never had a problem with it though apart from a bug that was put in it in Thailand, soon fixed though!
My wife has a Hewlett Packard and she's forever complaining about it "piece of 5hit" etc often springs from her mouth and she's a lady so it must be a pretty crappy thing !

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Problem with Hewlett Packard is that it is a composite of brands and they are have peculiar set of in-house solutions. I would never buy one.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Flexo wrote: "Stationary = workstation, a non-mobile computer. The 2000 USD Mac flagship is 3 times slower than an average 1000 USD PC, which makes it in essence 6 times slower and yeah it is 2 years behind the average PC.
:thumbup:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... aptop.html
Last edited by Paulinmalaga on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Personally id never bother with a M.S comp again after buying a chromebook. Brilliant if all you want to do it browse the web and abit more.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Sorry, simply not true. There is no benchmarks featured in the article. If you take the optional upgrades on the Macbook you get to the upper levels of the PC market but there is simply better hardware not available on the Mac side. For instance, Asus has reported they will release a $9000 USD gaming laptop. I am not stating that is a "stock laptop" whatever definition that is, I am just stating the obvious fact that there are better hardware on the market than the one Apple is using.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:31 pm

If read the article fully you'd see there are your beloved benchmark tests to back up the headline. However way you look at it your quote is so wildy inaccurate it just makes you look a tad silly. I would hazard a guess that a "STOCK" item refers to one thats in stock....confusing I know. But hey what do the people at "Computerworld" who published the article know compared to you :lol: who just spouts utterly ludicrous statements and when proved wrong just gives it the old victor meldrew "I don't believe it" :wave:
As it says in the below " OS X takes the performance crown, leaving Windows to choke in its dust". But i expect their lying!!!
https://www.cnet.com/news/macbook-pro-v ... mpetition/
I So Bella tis you

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Dude, that is a 7 year old article.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:27 pm

So even back then your quote was wildly out of touch with reality :thumbup:

But if you want it in the here and now.....Macbook pro No.1 .....Your all important bench mark tests on P.2 where the Macbook pro emphatically is at the top.......

https://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:17 am

What are you guys doing? You can argue the interpretation of data and specifications until the keys fall off the keyboard. Some people will always prefer a certain computer over another and some people will always get a computer to function more efficiently than another person on the same computer. That's down to a certain techo-savviness by the user. No? I'm a complete dunce with PCs simply because I used Macs first and by the time I got around to having to use a PC in a place of work It was so regressive and hideous a step, I left. If I had started with a PC it might have been the other way around. Who knows?